Page 258 of 261 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 3906

Thread: *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Andy - did you watch North bat? Didn't look out of touch at all actually. Hit some good shots.

Comes a time where you can't tolerate his low scores, but definitely didn't look out of form this match.
    Saw a bit of him and yes, he did play some nice shots, but at the end of the day it's how many runs you score, and 1171 at 35.48 after 21 Tests is simply not good enough.

Anywho, as shamelessly stolen from a mate's Facebook: The joke's on you, England. What are you going to do with a full extra day in Adelaide?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post

Anywho, as shamelessly stolen from a mate's Facebook: The joke's on you, England. What are you going to do with a full extra day in Adelaide?
    Half day
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Saw a bit of him and yes, he did play some nice shots, but at the end of the day it's how many runs you score, and 1171 at 35.48 after 21 Tests is simply not good enough.
    Depending on how much influence Ponting will exert, it sounds as though North is going to be retained AGAIN:

"He'll be a bit disappointed with his week's work here," Ponting said of North. "I still believe that he's got great value to the team."

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Depending on how much influence Ponting will exert, it sounds as though North is going to be retained AGAIN:

"He'll be a bit disappointed with his week's work here," Ponting said of North. "I still believe that he's got great value to the team."
    Don't understand.

What does Ricky want him there for? Is he a master tactician or something? If it's his bowling that's useful, why not play another batting allrounder rather than a batsman?

Is North blackmailing him?
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Banned
    congrats to the pomms they played better than us and deserved this test there is no doubt about that, we will have to raise our game to win back the Ashes now

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    It's not "random" though - the players being replaced do really need to go.
    I think this only works if you have proven and significant bench strength.

What're they gonna do now? Bring in 2 more bowlers to replace Harris and Bollinger and Johnson and Hilfenhaus? And what if they don't perform?

Sometimes, when you know that you don't have good bench strength, you just gotta grit your teeth and go with what you have. Especially when it's Johnson, who you know can run through any lineup in the world on his day. Hell, go back to Brett Lee and Stuart Clark - they're light years ahead of this lot. I don't think it's time to experiment and mix and match in the middle of your most important series.

I still can't believe people want Ponting to be dropped - reminds me of the time people were calling for Tendulkar's head. Australia are behaving like India in terms of selection now.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Don't understand.

What does Ricky want him there for? Is he a master tactician or something? If it's his bowling that's useful, why not play another batting allrounder rather than a batsman?

Is North blackmailing him?
    Yeah I honestly have no idea, but it is clear that there is some bias towards North for whatever reason, be it personal or otherwise. Maybe Hilditch is dating North's mum, who knows...

International Regular Jayzamann's Avatar
    Pretty compelling post made about North being in the top of an especially short stack of domestic cricketers within his age range, and that maintaining his spot in the side will pay dividends when the mid-30s players all retire or are squeezed out eventually.

Forget who made it, but I was browsing on my phone and cbf'd replying when I read it.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    What're they gonna do now? Bring in 2 more bowlers to replace Harris and Bollinger and Johnson and Hilfenhaus? And what if they don't perform?

Sometimes, when you know that you don't have good bench strength, you just gotta grit your teeth and go with what you have. Especially when it's Johnson, who you know can run through any lineup in the world on his day. Hell, go back to Brett Lee and Stuart Clark - they're light years ahead of this lot. I don't think it's time to experiment and mix and match in the middle of your most important series.
    Why would we need to replace Harris?

Our bench strength is very limited when our bench only has 3 or 4 seats on it.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzamann View Post
    Pretty compelling post made about North being in the top of an especially short stack of domestic cricketers within his age range, and that maintaining his spot in the side will pay dividends when the mid-30s players all retire or are squeezed out eventually.
    I don't get that at all though, because North is 31, and Watson and Clarke are both 29. Those guys have been playing test cricket (especially Clarke) longer than North anyway, so what would 2 years of pure 'age experience' actually provide? Furthermore, seeing as though the older guys like Ponting and Hussey will still be around probably for another year at least, wouldn't it be better to bring in some new players now so they can learn from those guys?

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Why would we need to replace Harris?

Our bench strength is very limited when our bench only has 3 or 4 seats on it.
    Because he has done just as poorly as Hilfenhaus and Johnson. So have Siddle and Bollinger. Why does Harris keep his spot, when H and J had to lose it?

That's not my logic, that's Aussie selector logic, if they are to be consistent.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Yeah, with Haddin and Watson cementing their places alongside Clarke, the experience North provides isn't really needed, especially as Johnson will (hopefully) also be there for the future.

Yeah, with Haddin and Watson cementing their places alongside Clarke, the experience North provides isn't really needed, especially as Johnson will (hopefully) also be there for the future.
    Among the fringe players, Hilfenhaus, Hauritz, Harris, Siddle are all 26-30 too.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Because he has done just as poorly as Hilfenhaus and Johnson. So have Siddle and Bollinger. Why does Harris keep his spot, when H and J had to lose it?

That's not my logic, that's Aussie selector logic, if they are to be consistent.
    Harris bowled well.

Similarly Anderson bowled well in Brisbane without reward, but a selector would still have realised the quality of his effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Among the fringe players, Hilfenhaus, Hauritz, Harris, Siddle are all 26-30 too.
    And Dougeh.

@evermind, how has Harris done as badly as Johnson and Hilfenhaus? He has been the pick of all the bowlers so far, and actually got some decent figures considering it was a road.

Thread Information