Page 249 of 261 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 3906

Thread: *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Good interview from KP, calling himself the original pie chucker.

We are in the worst of both worlds - we are old and we are losing.

Thanks Messrs Hilditch, Boon, Cock, and Hughes.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Another problem is that we haven't had enough young players blooded during the golden years. There aren't enough players with that broad, 50, 60, 70 test-match experience to really guide the younger blokes.
    Lee was there to mentor Johnson in the early part of his career. It was upto Johnson to take it forward which didn't happen.

All this is Hodge's curse.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Well done England, too good, Domination from start to finish.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    They actually started it in the late 80s mate. It started to bear fruit in 89. By 91 they were challenging for top spot.
    Yeah, totally agree with getting back to the selection policies of the mid-80's and early 90's. Guys like Boon, S.Waugh, Hughes, M.Taylor, McGrath, Warne all benefited from being backed in at a young age.

If we have young guys there now who are showing some promise, give them a chance. It can't be easy to stay motivated to perform over years and years of non-selection. Give them something to play for.

Personally, I'd look at giving O'Keefe a chance and also put Copeland on notice (unless there's a good reason for not choosing someone who currently has a FC average of around 17 and has taken 50+ wickets).
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Another problem is that we haven't had enough young players blooded during the golden years. There aren't enough players with that broad, 50, 60, 70 test-match experience to really guide the younger blokes.
    I remember people saying that about the West Indies for about 10 years the fact was the young blokes just wern't good enough, is the same true of Australia?
    Last edited by chalky; 06-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    All the guys who recently beat the best team in the world in their own backyard (SA in SA) are still available.

We are not in transition at present, and therefore should not accept losing.

And nor are we a young side at present.

When we actually move towards blooding young players, then yes we should expect to lose a few more games, and yes then we will be in transition.
    But mate I think that mind set is very much part of the problem.

I heard it said before Brisbane that this was one of the reasons they went with Hilf, Sid and Johnson. But that series vs SA was nearly two years ao now. You begin to question whether those fellas are kicking on, and I find it disturbing that the selectors are looking at that series in early 2009 as a reason for picking blokes at the fag end of 2010 and however many lack lustre performances later.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Yeah, totally agree with getting back to the selection policies of the mid-80's and early 90's. Guys like Boon, S.Waugh, Hughes, M.Taylor, McGrath, Warne all benefited from being backed in at a young age.

If we have young guys there now who are showing some promise, give them a chance. It can't be easy to stay motivated to perform over years and years of non-selection. Give them something to play for.

Personally, I'd look at giving O'Keefe a chance and also put Copeland on notice (unless there's a good reason for not choosing someone who currently has a FC average of around 17 and has taken 50+ wickets).
    yes, and what is wrong with picking Smith - good FC batting average, already has a Test 70 to his name and has a lot of upside to his bowling.

And Usman - averages 50+.

Geez, those records are not much more than Martyn, SWaugh, Langer, Slater etc had when the selectors took a chance on them.

Who gives a **** if they didn't perform in an Australia A game.

But we didn't even give them a chance!

Surely Clarke wasn't the only decent 23, 24 year old running around at the time?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Well, well, that was a hiding. Went for a walk around the Eastern Beaches Coastal Walk, stopped off at Oporto at Coogee Beach for a burger and saw they were 5 down. 20 minutes later, back in Clovelly, and the Aussies have capitulated. The problem for Aussie I see is that it seems to be a case of the old cattle being no better or worse than the calves waiting on the sidelines.

But we didn't even give them a chance!

Surely Clarke wasn't the only decent 23, 24 year old running around at the time?
    Sure. But who would you have dropped at the time Clarke came in (2004)?

Bun
    Banned
    Ricky Ponting sadly has to go. Fresh perspective is needed and for that a man with so much of baggage, and proven inability to move on since the end of goldenera has to be replaced. Ricky the batsman however is still indispensable.

I wouldn't have dropped anyone at that time.

But I definitely wouldn't have picked Symonds when Martyn retired, and I'd be leaning towards youth when Langer went.

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Ricky Ponting sadly has to go. Fresh perspective is needed and for that a man with so much of baggage, and proven inability to move on since the end of goldenera has to be replaced. Ricky the batsman however is still indispensable.
    Ok, make Clarke captain.

Are the bowlers suddently going to bowl tight lines and lengths? If you want someone to put the fear of God into the bowlers about their performances, get AB back as skipper!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    But mate I think that mind set is very much part of the problem.

I heard it said before Brisbane that this was one of the reasons they went with Hilf, Sid and Johnson. But that series vs SA was nearly two years ao now. You begin to question whether those fellas are kicking on, and I find it disturbing that the selectors are looking at that series in early 2009 as a reason for picking blokes at the fag end of 2010 and however many lack lustre performances later.
    Good point.

Let's get started then.

These losses would be far more palatable if Hughes, Usman, Smith etc were on the end of them, than some of the 30+ plus chaps.

As your list indicates, our cupboard is not exactly bare. It's not overflowing, but geez there's some promise there.

Thread Information