• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Jayzamann

International Regular
It is ironic because he is returning to his 'roots' by going back to FC cricket, yet is playing against his native team.
That's drawing a bit of a long bow. It would be ironic if the selectors explicitly said that he was to return to his roots, but then didn't drop him. :ph34r:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
north's dismissal was the in the vein of a batsmen out of form, he went in to that innings thinking he HAD to make runs to keep his spot and he'll think the same as long as he's selected without scoring big, he needs to get dropped...for now.
he may not be ready but smith will be in

tooextracool

International Coach
All Tremlett did was also take wickets against rubbish opposition. Picking Tremlett would not have been terrible, but in the end I'm glad we didn't go the way we went in 06/07, dropping a player who had done nothing wrong right before the first match, causing a fuss and putting extra pressure on the one who came in.
Cant see how this is the same situation to be honest. Another reason for Finn not being ready yet is that Finn has recently re-modeled his bowling action. If you go back to the Bangladesh tour earlier this year he had a more slingy action. The reason why I bring that up is because it takes more than a season to get used to bowling with a new action. A bowler like Tremlett already knows his game inside out.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well thats not true, he was superb against Bangladesh. His line and length was consistently perfect and he was up there with his pace. You can say "oooh it was Bangladesh" all you want but it doesn't make your statement any less false. When he can start to do that more consistently I think we'll see even more out of him, especially considering he's still taking wickets despite being poor, apparently.
Well I dont agree with that. You don't commend a player for taking wickets while bowling poorly. Johnson did that for years, however he is irrelevant to this because Finn is younger and has more natural attributes. Either someone bowls well or he bowls poorly, end of story.

Spark

Global Moderator
At the end of the day the scorecard doesn't show "bowled well" or "bowled poorly" by some arbtirary subjective judgement though, it shows wickets.

tooextracool

International Coach
At the end of the day the scorecard doesn't show "bowled well" or "bowled poorly" by some arbtirary subjective judgement though, it shows wickets.
and this comes back to the perennial argument that bowlers shouldn't be judged by the scorecard but on actually watching them bowl.

It seems to me to be unanimous here that Finn didn't really bowl very well in the previous test. Clearly the wickets column has flattered him. It also seems to me that every time someone takes a bucket-load of wickets people try to manufacture a reason for why he did so. Could it just be luck?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know if it's just me but I hardly think he bowled that badly tbh. Yes, there were some rather floaty half-volleys and long-hops at times, but that's to be expected. He wasn't spraying it left, right and centre and certainly trouble the batsman at times.I expect him to go ok.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
it also doesn;t show how poorly done by watto was in the last game tho, need a some better catchers i think, and a keeper who can catch, ur right tho, some of the bowlers wouldn't have done well no matter

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't know if it's just me but I hardly think he bowled that badly tbh. Yes, there were some rather floaty half-volleys and long-hops at times, but that's to be expected. He wasn't spraying it left, right and centre and certainly trouble the batsman at times.I expect him to go ok.
I was thinking the same when he bowled on the fourth morning. But Strauss and Cook looked soo comfortable against him regardless. Even when he does bowl one of his better spells these days he's still not as good as people think.

Like Harmison.