• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Picking White and then saying "here, have the captaincy" can't go well though...

aussies need to stop following the past protocol. yes 10 years ago it wouldve been ridiculous, but these players have no similarities to those 10 years ago. look at safrica with graeme smith when he came in- theyre reaping the rewards.

white imo would go better than anyone else- cant see how in the long run there is a better option? clarke seems just as clueless and bereft of tactics/creativity as ponting- they wont make a world class side with him

haddin/katich/hussey are the only other options i see- and white would be a better captain than them

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke is the opposite of Ponting in terms of his problem tactically. Whereas Ponting seems lost for ideas, Clarke seems to have too many. The result being the bowlers don't know where to bowl.

When he's calm though, he's impressive tactically.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
What makes you say that? I remember him making some particularly clever field changes in a T20 match last year.
melbourne run chase against lanka- his body language looked exactly like pontings when theyre losing- just gets the s____ and doesnt think on his feet. are u referring to the t20 game where he bowled himslef and got a couple of wickets? coz that type of hit and giggle stuff wont win test matches. i cant remember him being creative in odi matches

oh sorry didnt see you said 'field changes'- well i dunno, im not sure if he has the attacking flare to be successful in testcricket

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Slats 1, Martyn 1 or 2

Hayden debuted in 1991/92, and then test debut in March 1994
Not sure how valid those examples are, tbh. IIRC, both Hayden and Martyn had tough introductions into test cricket and only flowered after more seasons in Sheffield Shield cricket. Frankly, making big changes now would be counter-productive. I don't see the need to make any changes other than dropping Doherty (for Smith or another quick - Johnson?) and possibly North (if he has a viable replacement) with Hughes in for Kattich.

Stick to what you have and make the best of it by playing better, IMO.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
melbourne run chase against lanka- his body language looked exactly like pontings when theyre losing- just gets the s____ and doesnt think on his feet. are u referring to the t20 game where he bowled himslef and got a couple of wickets? coz that type of hit and giggle stuff wont win test matches. i cant remember him being creative in odi matches
That's the game I'm talking about as well though. In that game what I saw was a different field almost every ball. It was just bizarre - although to be fair, he was probably ball-following to some extent, and since every ball landed in a completely different place...

Most of the time he's pretty good. But when he panics - boy, does he panic.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Clarke is the opposite of Ponting in terms of his problem tactically. Whereas Ponting seems lost for ideas, Clarke seems to have too many. The result being the bowlers don't know where to bowl.

When he's calm though, he's impressive tactically.
Reckon I'd prefer Clarke's problem over Pontings though. Given time the guy with too many ideas will work out which ones work and which ones don't. The guy with no ideas won't suddenly conjure some out of thin air.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, but that was the point I was making earlier - this is probably a year or two too early for Clarke to be given the captaincy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Good god, that probably tops the list of "glum Ponting" shots I've seen recently

Man looks on the verge of tears!

Ruckus

International Captain
Ponting always looks like that. People often note his similarity to George Bush, but how about John Howard? The look of failure haha...

Last edited: