• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be honest if Australia don't change their bowling attack England will fancy their chances of scoring heavily.This is virtually the same attack that failed to bowl them out regularly in England in 09 and nothing we saw in Brisbane makes me think they will be able to do it in this series.Bollinger and Harris might be the answer,i don't know.I have never been a fan of Bollinger from the time he bowled like Johnson for Worcestershire but i respect he has good stats allbeit against weak opposition.Harris is an unknown quantity but with his injury record is unlikely to last the series anyway.

England will be unchanged unless someone is ill or gets injured in nets so we know what to expect from them.

Bring it on,will be a good toss to win and whoever does should be looking at 400 minimum.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Have a horrible, sinking feeling that we're going to see the same XI lining up for this match. Still trying to recover from Marcus North definitely being selected this game as well, just makes no damn sense.
Nah I genuinely think Ponting will demand a change.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah a change is happening for sure, you can't get 1/517 and continue with the same attack just 3 days later.

If Bollinger and Harris both come in, they will be under considerable pressure, if they don't perform what next, I hate to think..

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
One of the main people responsible for keeping poor players in the team like North. That's always been the impression I've had anyway...
While I certainly think he's responsible for keeping North in the XI, the selectors are in charge of the squads. Besides, Ponting has backed Siddle and Hussey.

Anyway, there's no way Ponting will accept 1/500. It just can't happen

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He seems to support Ryan Harris coming in but doesn't want to drop North.
I honestly get the feeling he wants North in the team because of his offies.

Harris and Bollinger are fairly likely to come in I reckon. It's pretty obvious that Ponting gets the final say on his team and it's also pretty obvious he has lost faith in Johnson

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
One of the main people responsible for keeping poor players in the team like North. That's always been the impression I've had anyway...

no- admittedly,north is his pet, but you cant blame him for keeping people like johnson in- 70 wickets each of the last 2years. if anything hes been too impatient with certian players - on the field and in terms of selection

with the exception of bollinger, i dont see how the personnel changing will really change the way this aussie team plays. none of them seem to know how to bowl to a plan.

people are saying all johnson needs to do is "run in and bowl as fast as you can" - what nonsense. he has no idea where he wants to bowl, or what he wants to do with the ball to get the batsman out. ponting is so poor tactically that i dont see any knew bowlers being able to perform vastly different from in brisbane.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
no- admittedly,north is his pet, but you cant blame him for keeping people like johnson in- 70 wickets each of the last 2years. if anything hes been too impatient with certian players - on the field and in terms of selection

with the exception of bollinger, i dont see how the personnel changing will really change the way this aussie team plays. none of them seem to know how to bowl to a plan.

people are saying all johnson needs to do is "run in and bowl as fast as you can" - what nonsense. he has no idea where he wants to bowl, or what he wants to do with the ball to get the batsman out. ponting is so poor tactically that i dont see any knew bowlers being able to perform vastly different from in brisbane.
:laugh: So true. More than anything, Johnson needs to start thinking more about his bowling tactics and strategy than less.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well TBF the whole "run in and bowl fast" thing is more to stop him worrying about his own form/confidence etc and to help him relax. That does help him in that his action then becomes smoother and he's much less likely to bowl absolute shockers.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
i think his shockers are a more a product of his uncertainty of what to do with the ball

if he just tried to concentrate on off stump for 6 balls an over, i think that his natural nip, pace, cut and hostility would come thru more. i really dont think his action is THAT wrong, because ive seen him bowl accurately for 2-3 balls, but then he seems to try something else and bowl a wide

if anything its impatience and general lack of a plan to get batsman out- resulting in him trying to bowl TOO FAST that causes those horrific wides.

i remember when he demolished india a few years ago (5/25 in india). admittedly it was an odi- but i remember he was not only hostile, but always AT the bat, and at the stumps.
was awesome pressure bowling, and because he is naturally 5-10 kph quicker than others, he was more effective. but it all starts with the basics of line and length

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I love the hilf but he looked totally out of sorts. Needs to go back to shield for a while and take some pegs. Certainly not a death sentence

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
i think his shockers are a more a product of his uncertainty of what to do with the ball

if he just tried to concentrate on off stump for 6 balls an over, i think that his natural nip, pace, cut and hostility would come thru more. i really dont think his action is THAT wrong, because ive seen him bowl accurately for 2-3 balls, but then he seems to try something else and bowl a wide

if anything its impatience and general lack of a plan to get batsman out- resulting in him trying to bowl TOO FAST that causes those horrific wides.

i remember when he demolished india a few years ago (5/25 in india). admittedly it was an odi- but i remember he was not only hostile, but always AT the bat, and at the stumps.
was awesome pressure bowling, and because he is naturally 5-10 kph quicker than others, he was more effective. but it all starts with the basics of line and length
Nah the facts are

- He's down on pace lately
- He doesn't have any inswing
- He's been worked out.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Nah the facts are

- He's down on pace lately
- He doesn't have any inswing
- He's been worked out.
definately been worked out, ie the batsman dont go for anything angling across that aint going to hit the stumps

thats where accuracy/bowling a good threatening line comes in. admittedly pace is down and swing is non existent, but surely hed be better served (if he gets another chance) landing the ball in good areas. the few times he did that in brisbane , he looked ok. just that the next ball was generally a pathetic wide of the stumps longhop to great backfoot players like cook or strauss

Ruckus

International Captain
Amazing how in one test match Hilf has gone from hero to droppable.
When has Hilf ever been a 'hero'? He's always been good, but never really outstanding. And anyway, if he is dropped it will probably be a 'horses for courses' reason more than anything else.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
definately been worked out, ie the batsman dont go for anything angling across that aint going to hit the stumps

thats where accuracy/bowling a good threatening line comes in. admittedly pace is down and swing is non existent, but surely hed be better served (if he gets another chance) landing the ball in good areas. the few times he did that in brisbane , he looked ok. just that the next ball was generally a pathetic wide of the stumps longhop to great backfoot players like cook or strauss
Johnson, in his entire career, has never really been accurate and it would be somewhat optimistic to believe he could solely rely on accurate areas as his new method of taking wickets

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
When has Hilf ever been a 'hero'? He's always been good, but never really outstanding. And anyway, if he is dropped it will probably be a 'horses for courses' reason more than anything else.
people lauded his line n length bowling during some spells in india, but that was mainly made to look better than it was by hauritz ****ness .

Yeah i hate how people are treating the current bunch of players like they are 'undroppable'.
this lot isnt the quality team of 2000-2006. Dropping players shouldnt be met with such anger and finality.
if ben hilfenhaus is dropped for 1 match, it doenst mean we wont see him again- it simply means he needs to take some wickets, get some confidence and earn his spot again.
thats how it should be for this current team- pretty much none of the players have performed enough to warrant them being a SETTLED TEAM

people talk about england knowing their 11 3 months before- that came from hard work to get a combination right, years in the making.

aus needs to embark on the same process. we need to pick our bowlers that are going to win us matches NOW

Last edited by a moderator: