• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not excusing Punter's captaincy or tactics but also observing that there are other factors at play here. Strauss has been spared these tough conditions because his bowlers made use of the only life in the pitch and Australia's batsmen conspired to make his job easy.

Punter his facing an opponent determined not to give an inch but he's not being given much support from his bowlers or fielders.
Yeah I don't disagree, just making the point that rightly or wrongly Ponting will be judged by the scoreboard

Jacknife

International Captain
Interesting that both Punter and Greg Chappell apparently wanted Johnson in ahead of Bollinger despite the former's loss of form and confidence. Bollinger struggled a bit in his last Shield game and brings little to the table unless he's on top of his game. Johnson is often a match to match proposition but the tail looks long without him and at least he counts as a strike bowler.

And then there is Doherty who brings nothing to the table.
from what I saw of Cameron in the Aus A match,he looks a far better bowler than these,with the exception of Harris.

Briony

International Debutant
Our ****house batting and the ****ing road of a pitch easily accounts for the mess we are in.

Totally agree, day two and three were always going to be the best for batting. Had Australia made 400+, as any decent test line-up should have given the conditions, it wouldn't be in the predicament it is. Instead some batsmen were found wanting technique wise, others gifted their wickets, and the tail is long due to some injudicious selection.

And North is still in the team!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Our ****house batting and the ****ing road of a pitch easily accounts for the mess we are in.
I don't see why Ponting is getting the criticism. I'd look to the farcical selection policy, and I also wonder about whether the coach is up to it.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
There's a few short memories going around at the moment re: Bollinger. Some credit has to be given to the English batsmen I feel. Not to downplay how flat the aussie bowlers have been at times, but it's easy to criticise and fault when things are going bad

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not excusing Punter's captaincy or tactics but also observing that there are other factors at play here. Strauss has been spared these tough conditions because his bowlers made use of the only life in the pitch and Australia's batsmen conspired to make his job easy.

Punter his facing an opponent determined not to give an inch but he's not being given much support from his bowlers or fielders.
Let's not use the pitch as an excuse as it demeans England's performance

Oz won the toss and had the opportunity to pile on the pressure but Eng have simply been too good so far

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I'm one of the biggest critics of Ponting, but to be fair to him, he gets criticised when he's not proactive, now he's being criticised because he's trying things, albeit some weird and inpatient plans maybe.

Adelaide has been a road for 25 years, everyone knows what it's like. Good old ball bowlers would help.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's not use the pitch as an excuse as it demeans England's performance

Oz won the toss and had the opportunity to pile on the pressure but Eng have simply been too good so far
Someone's taken over social's account. Post reported

Briony

International Debutant
I don't see why Ponting is getting the criticism. I'd look to the farcical selection policy, and I also wonder about whether the coach is up to it.
Buchanan used to cop it despite winning most of the time, Neilsen rarely appears to be the scapegoat despite not rectifying obvious problems.

Also apportion some blame to CA who watched England receive the perfect preparation while its own team was compromised.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Doherty looks better than I expected, but Hauritz > Krejza > Doherty.

Whatever happened to the Cullen's from SA ?

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Buchanan used to cop it despite winning most of the time, Neilsen rarely appears to be the scapegoat despite not rectifying obvious problems.

Also apportion some blame to CA who watched England receive the perfect preparation while its own team was compromised.
How was their preparation compromised ?