• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

chalky

International Debutant
What's the situation with Andrew Symonds & CA at the moment? As an England fan I would fear him coming in at no 6 much more than North, David Hussey, Khawaja etc. Add to that he is fairly intelligent and skilled bowler not to mention his fielding which would be worth 40 runs an innings alone in the current Aussie side, the way catches are dropped and runs leaked.

Any chances of a comeback or are those bridges burnt?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's the situation with Andrew Symonds & CA at the moment? As an England fan I would fear him coming in at no 6 much more than North, David Hussey, Khawaja etc. Add to that he is fairly intelligent and skilled bowler not to mention his fielding which would be worth 40 runs an innings alone in the current Aussie side, the way catches are dropped and runs leaked.

No interest from either party and unless there's a cold snap in hell, that's not ever going to change

Xuhaib

International Coach
England 834-3 over the past 2 knocks and whats worse its Cook,Trott and Struass doing most of the scoring hopefully runs it they come tomorrow they come from the bats of KP,Bell and Prior.

Bun

Banned

I reckon Symonds is finished. His only cricket is the IPL at the moment, and the less cricket you play, the worse a cricketer you become.

Woodster

International Captain
Another outstanding day for England, makes me nervous and think there must be an absolute shocker of a day round the corner! But hopefully not with this England team who have demonstrated the exact discipline, skills, and hunger that's vital to push a side like Australia in their home conditions.

I cannot praise Alastair Cook's efforts enough so far on this tour. We know he has certain technical issues he has to battle with, but when he's in this kind of form, they are not as glaringly obvious and his new-found ability to cover drive elegantly is an exciting addition to his game. His patience and discipline in compiling his runs is a lesson to all players in making the most of their good form.

Trott is another player who has taken his game to the next level. The comparisons with Kallis are there to see. The way he works the ball through the legside is impressive and adds to the confusion of Ponting's tactics early in his innings. He got into a little trouble when Australia belatedly tried to rough him up with a clear short ball attack, and that may prompt this kind of strategy in his innings to come.

Thought Ryan Harris was the pick of the attack, stuck to the plans better than the rest, and showed decent control. Another long day for him though may see a recurrence of his knee problem.

The fielding was very un-Australian like, Hussey firstly setting the tone with a poor drop in gully, then Haddin made a hash of what should have been a regulation catch.

Really hoping this weather doesn't change, despite the forecast of showers on the horizon. Still a lot to do for England but we're in an excellent position.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Great analysis. A good example of why Woodster is the CMJ of CW. Wouldn't disagree with a word of this; wouldn't dare.

Blaze 18

Banned
We will need to post over 500 to save the game, and our top order will most likely collapse early again, with the middle order fighting it till the end.
Prediction - a bunch of Oz batsmen to score nice 50s, throw it away when set and lose heavily

Basis - 2 years of this ****
Nah, I don't see Australia collapsing. The pitch is quite good for batting and will likely stay that way for the rest of the match. If the Australian batsmen don't lose their heads, I see no reason why they cannot do what England did in the last match.

greg

International Debutant
Nah, I don't see Australia collapsing. The pitch is quite good for batting and will likely stay that way for the rest of the match. If the Australian batsmen don't lose their heads, I see no reason why they cannot do what England did in the last match.
Based on what? We're still only at the end of the second day - of course the pitch is 'quite good' for batting. If Adelaide pitches were unlikely to deteriorate then there wouldn't have been 13 decisive results in the last 16 games - no matter how dominant Australia have been over that period!

Blaze 18

Banned
Unless there is serious rain disruption, Australia are likely to have to bat for a minimum of 5 sessions on a pitch with a history of becoming increasingly difficult to bat on. It could have already gone some way beyond "not screwing up again" to have a chance of saving the game. At Adelaide you have to score your runs in the first innings. The fortune for England losing the toss has even given them extra time through not having to waste time batting in their second innings.
I reckon the pitch will remain a good one for batting throughout this match, Adelaide pitches usually do. Australia certainly have the batsmen to last five sessions, so I will not be writing them off just yet.

Blaze 18

Banned
Based on what? We're still only at the end of the second day - of course the pitch is 'quite good' for batting. If Adelaide pitches were unlikely to deteriorate then there wouldn't have been 13 decisive results in the last 16 games - no matter how dominant Australia have been over that period!
Based on what I have seen thus far. When you have two gentlemen called Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne, the pitch does not have to deteriorate for there to be a result.

greg

International Debutant
Based on what I have seen thus far. When you have two gentlemen called Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne, the pitch does not have to deteriorate for there to be a result.
Well we'll see, although I'm not sure what you mean by "what i have seen thus far". By definition what has been seen thus far doesn't include the 4th and 5th days!

Over the last 20 years averages per wicket at Adelaide have been 13 runs lower in second team innings than the first - that can only be explained by pitch deterioration since the same bowlers get to bowl in both innings.

Woodster

International Captain
Can see spin playing a much bigger part in the last day or two. Think Ponting said contests staged here can be very much like those in the sub continent where so much can happen towards the end and all of a sudden. I think if the weather stays set fair, Swann may play a real hand in this Test.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: Ha ha, hope you're not taking the mickey
No mate, I'd hope that if I took the mickey it would be pretty well apparent!

Anyhow let's see England grind 'em down all night, I don't particularly want to see a declaration much before lunch tomorrow.

JBH001

International Regular
If England's batsmen score fast enough today, and depending on the state of the pitch, IMO Strauss should seriously consider declaring today with about 40 - 50 minutes of play left in the day. I don't think England need more than a 350 - 400 run lead.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Weather permitting, I'd be inclined to bat longer. Grind them down, break their spirit, and declare 30 minutes before lunch on Day 4. It's the way to win not only this game but also the Ashes.

Woodster

International Captain
Weather permitting, I'd be inclined to bat longer. Grind them down, break their spirit, and declare 30 minutes before lunch on Day 4. It's the way to win not only this game but also the Ashes.
Was going to ask when people thought England should declare, that is if we don't get bowled out beforehand. I was thinking towards the closing stages of day three, and while we don't want to base our declaration around what the weather may or may not do, it may be something we should consider, in that the last two days we may lose some playing time.

I understand batting on longer to really grind them into the ground as that may have long-term consequences to our benefit, but do you thing England will have a time in mind of when they want to declare or will be a score target, ie a lead of 400, however long that takes ?

We won't to be chasing anything if we can help it on the last day.