• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

howardj

International Coach
North averages 6.92 when he comes to the crease with Australia's total under 150 :laugh:

How does he get away with it!!!

outbreak

First Class Debutant
North averages 6.92 when he comes to the crease with Australia's total under 150 :laugh:

How does he get away with it!!!
Ponting's a fan of his. He's obviously not just in the side for batting and must be offering more i guess.

Julian87

State Captain
Anyway why is everyone naming Doherty above the others in the batting order. Reckon all the seamers bat better than him besides Doug. Harris is a much, much better batsman and can handle 8 comfortably IMO.

You just can't play ****ing Johnson.

TumTum

Banned
Despite Siddle getting a hat-trick and a 6-fer, I would still like to see him dropped. Hilfenhaus was the only bowler that looked like getting a wicket in both innings and I would still persist with him.

My ideal attack:
- Bollinger
- Harris
- Hilfenhaus
- *insert any spinner here that won't contribute much anyway*

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Against my better judgement...

1) They might drop Clark if he is injured (he looked so scratchy), but curiously haven't put a batter in the squad so that's doubtful.

2) They won't drop North.

3) I doubt they'll drop Johnson, granted he had a horror gabba Test but remember he took 5/35 and 1/58 against the Vics a week prior (and made 121 off 143 balls with the bat, and fielded a run-out).

So my expectation is maybe one change but all quicks put on notice.
FC form this summer incl tests:
Johnson: 106 overs. 9 wickets @ 42
Siddle: 141 overs. 19 wickets @ 23
Hilfy: 137 overs. 7 wickets @ 60
Harris: 78 overs. 15 wickets @ 14
Bollinger: 42 overs. 6 wickets @ 16

So on the above, Hilfy out, Harris in. Give Mitch another test.

If anything, if Doherty is as ineffectual in Adelaide as he was at the Gabba, they might actually play 4 quicks at Perth, drop Doherty, I mean his 90kmph darts? A fit Michael Clarke can bowl the same stuff ffs.

Spinners in FC this summer:
Doherty: 174 overs, 13 wickets @ 35.
Horror: 62 overs, 6 wickets @ 36.
Krejza: 27 overs, 4 wickets @ 24.
S. Smith: 62 overs, 4 wickets @ 62.
O’Keefe: 62 overs, 11 wickets @ 18.
North: 1/76 off 29.

I honestly don't know what the spinning answer is. It would seem that O’Keefe is the best option. Not quite 26 y.o., 10 first class games. averaging 51 with the bat (11 innings, 2 not-outs), 24 with the ball. Recently captained NSW due to injury to Stuart Clarke & others in a 1-dayer in October.

Steve Smith averages 42 with the bat, 50 with the ball after 18 first class games but as we know, is just 21 y.o.

So... I'm talking myself around in circles....

if we're trying to win tests, why not drop North and have a bowling attack with (in batting order).
#7. O'Keefe (averaging 50 with the bat)
Johnson (24)
Harris (20)
Siddle (14)
Bolllinger (7)

Adelaide's a road anyway, so 6 bowlers busting their guts is better than 5 bowlers going through the motions.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke will play. If he played first test there is no way in hell he's not playing the second.

Good idea? We'll see.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Against my better judgement...

1) They might drop Clark if he is injured (he looked so scratchy), but curiously haven't put a batter in the squad so that's doubtful.

2) They won't drop North.

3) I doubt they'll drop Johnson, granted he had a horror gabba Test but remember he took 5/35 and 1/58 against the Vics a week prior (and made 121 off 143 balls with the bat, and fielded a run-out).

So my expectation is maybe one change but all quicks put on notice.
FC form this summer incl tests:
Johnson: 106 overs. 9 wickets @ 42
Siddle: 141 overs. 19 wickets @ 23
Hilfy: 137 overs. 7 wickets @ 60
Harris: 78 overs. 15 wickets @ 14
Bollinger: 42 overs. 6 wickets @ 16

So on the above, Hilfy out, Harris in. Give Mitch another test.

If anything, if Doherty is as ineffectual in Adelaide as he was at the Gabba, they might actually play 4 quicks at Perth, drop Doherty, I mean his 90kmph darts? A fit Michael Clarke can bowl the same stuff ffs.

Spinners in FC this summer:
Doherty: 174 overs, 13 wickets @ 35.
Horror: 62 overs, 6 wickets @ 36.
Krejza: 27 overs, 4 wickets @ 24.
S. Smith: 62 overs, 4 wickets @ 62.
O’Keefe: 62 overs, 11 wickets @ 18.
North: 1/76 off 29.

I honestly don't know what the spinning answer is. It would seem that O’Keefe is the best option. Not quite 26 y.o., 10 first class games. averaging 51 with the bat (11 innings, 2 not-outs), 24 with the ball. Recently captained NSW due to injury to Stuart Clarke & others in a 1-dayer in October.

Steve Smith averages 42 with the bat, 50 with the ball after 18 first class games but as we know, is just 21 y.o.

So... I'm talking myself around in circles....

if we're trying to win tests, why not drop North and have a bowling attack with (in batting order).
#7. O'Keefe (averaging 50 with the bat)
Johnson (24)
Harris (20)
Siddle (14)
Bolllinger (7)

Adelaide's a road anyway, so 6 bowlers busting their guts is better than 5 bowlers going through the motions.
I have no problems with your analysis, but I wish you'd get Clark and Clarke around the right way :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That legside wide was pushing it tbf.
:laugh:

It was pretty poor. The one that wasn't called was worse for Haddin I thought.

Even though he's 'proven' himself against different opposition, I wouldn't be adverse to trying someone else in Adelaide. It also hasn't been proven than someone else wouldn't do a better, or more consistent, job than Mitch.

When you're constantly selecting from 4 or 5 bowlers it makes it hard for anyone else to prove anything. Would get Harris in there and Bollinger too. If that means losing Mitch's once in a series good game then so be it. Reckon Harris could be handy at this level if his knee holds up.

howardj

International Coach
From the squad we have, I would pick

Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Harris
Doherty
Bollinger
Siddle

howardj

International Coach
That's looks really quite a strong bowling line-up. All of the quicks are in good form, so I really hope they go with that.
Yep, it's Plan B, but I just don't think Johnson can be picked. He looks shot. It's no disgrace and not career ending to be dropped. Even McGrath was dropped a couple of times. One of Johnson's problems is that batsman are now letting his stock ball (across the right hander) sail by to the keeper.