Cricket Player Manager
Page 10 of 261 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: *Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Ponting and Hussey back to near their best is massive for us. Clarke is never more than an innings or two away nowadays, he's been like that for four years now, and if those three are firing...

Ponting 82.28
    Hussey 91.60
    Clarke 77.80

Those numbers go into the ridiculous territory if you only count tests that actually mattered, though.
    What are these figures?
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Series averages 2006-7. If you make it just the first live test all three averages go well over 100.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Adelaide is such a tough test match for bowlers. I've always been against picking two spinners, they just get carted, as overseas teams have found over the years. You need some tight accurate bowling, guys like Johnson who just wang up and let go will get punished more severely. Stuart Clark type bowlers are useful to tie an end up. I can see Trott just eating up that leg side short fence, just like the Indians, they always bat well at Adelaide. Stifling tight bowling is the order of the day, I'd drop Mitch for Dougeh. MAYBE Xavier for Harris, i'd love Harris to be there, but not sure if losing a frontline spinner is the answer, depends how North is used I guess.

Series averages 2006-7. If you make it just the first live test all three averages go well over 100.
    Fair point. Remember, though, that was was against a broken Harmison, Saj Mahmood, Ashley Giles and Bad Jimmy (TM)

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Has Stuart Clark officially been put out to pasture?
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Fair point. Remember, though, that was was against a broken Harmison, Saj Mahmood, Ashley Giles and Bad Jimmy (TM)
    True. But when those three are in form simultaneously, they are a ravenous bunch.

The times when they've all been in form at once the amount of runs they put on the board is really quite frightening. They work unbelievably well in partnerships.
    Last edited by Spark; 29-11-2010 at 06:56 AM.

I think Dohers Doherty and Hilf will miss.

Harris and Doug to make the final XI.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    As I said he's a hundred away.

And to write off Hussey when he's scored such a positive, fluent hundred is ludicrous. Can't a guy be in form nowadays?
    Like Deus wrote, Hussey has been in terminal decline for three years until 3 days ago. I'm not ready to accept he's back yet
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Like Deus wrote, Hussey has been in terminal decline for three years until 3 days ago. I'm not ready to accept he's back yet
    TBH it's really the way he got it that has me hoping. His footwork was positive, his judgement of length was outstanding and the cover drive is coming back.

If it was a gritty, scratchy innings a la SCG/Oval then I wouldn't be so convinced - but it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I think Dohers Doherty and Hilf will miss.

Harris and Doug to make the final XI.
    Reckon it's extremely unlikely they'll go in with four quicks in Adelaide, especially when Watson is there. It's a ground that teams contemplate playing two spinners on if they've got two decent ones - I don't see Australia playing one more spinner in Brisbane than they do in Adelaide.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    TBH it's really the way he got it that has me hoping. His footwork was positive, his judgement of length was outstanding and the cover drive is coming back.

If it was a gritty, scratchy innings a la SCG/Oval then I wouldn't be so convinced - but it wasn't.
    Oh I agree. It was his best innings in 4 years. But I'll wait until the end of Adelaide before I make assumptions he is back for the summer

He might not be but this is definitely the best he's looked in three years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Reckon it's extremely unlikely they'll go in with four quicks in Adelaide, especially when Watson is there. It's a ground that teams contemplate playing two spinners on if they've got two decent ones - I don't see Australia playing one more spinner in Brisbane than they do in Adelaide.
    Spinners don't do as well as people think in Adelaide, in Tests anyway. It's usually the quicks that get the wickets. As for comparing Brisbane with Adelaide, I take your point, but the difference is that we're now desperate (1 for 500 will be ringing in Ponting's ears) and I think will go with the attack that's most likely to take 20 wickets rather than one that looks balanced on paper.

Since 2000, the average rpw in Australia is 36.83. This is broken up as 39.29 for spinners and 36.15 for the quicks.

Adelaide stats since 2000:

Spinners:

97 wickets, average 42.61, economy 3.04, 5 5w hauls, 0 10w hauls.

Fast bowlers:

197 wickets, average 38.41, economy 3.19, 6 5w hauls, 0 10w hauls.

Total

312 wickets, average 38.68, economy 3.11.

So it seems to be about the standard difference you would expect in Australia, though with a higher runs per wicket than most. No real need to play a spinner more than any other ground, and a more pressing need to take your best wicket-takers.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Since 2000, the average rpw in Australia is 36.83. This is broken up as 39.29 for spinners and 36.15 for the quicks.

Adelaide stats since 2000:

Spinners:

97 wickets, average 42.61, economy 3.04, 5 5w hauls, 0 10w hauls.

Fast bowlers:

197 wickets, average 38.41, economy 3.19, 6 5w hauls, 0 10w hauls.

Total

312 wickets, average 38.68, economy 3.11.

So it seems to be about the standard difference you would expect in Australia, though with a higher runs per wicket than most. No real need to play a spinner more than any other ground, and a more pressing need to take your best wicket-takers.
    Yeah I definitely agree, but I don't think the selectors will see it that way. The myth is more important.

Page 10 of 261 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread Information