• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Siddles Hat trick:Did the referral add or detract ?

Midwinter

State Captain
Interested to hear people's opinions on this.

A hatrick is such a unique occurrence, did the fact a decision was referred affect the way you saw it ?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Really detracted from it.

One of the things I dislike about any referral system is that it removes that sudden joy and excitement from LBWs

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I dont even remember the hat trick after this crapulent day's play. We sure needed a hat trick today, hell even 2 wickets 60 overs apart wouldve been nice.

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Detract.

To paraphrase Kevin Smith -

It's like getting a really good blowjob, then when you get to the good part she pulls it out and starts batting you off.

It's still good - but could have been better.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It made it an even worse moment for me. Like being binbagged by a bird, only for her to tell her she might change her mind and then actually declare you were stupid to think there was a chance. Or something.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Didn't think it really detracted from it too much. There was still some pretty raw emotion when it first happened, you think Siddle thought/cared about the referral?

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The other thing about it was - it was as plumb as plumb can be.

The umpire should not have bothered with the TV review and just said - I thought about it again and you're out, **** off!

TumTum

Banned
The umpire should not have bothered with the TV review and just said - I thought about it again and you're out, **** off!
:laugh:

That's why I believe the UDRS should be with the 3rd umpire. They will do a quick check of every decision and if the umpire got one wrong they would report back to them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
When the crowd roared after seeing the replay it was quite an awesome moment.

Reckon it didn't add or detract, just made it different, but not in a bad way.

Spark

Global Moderator
When the crowd roared after seeing the replay it was quite an awesome moment.

Reckon it didn't add or detract, just made it different, but not in a bad way.
This is how I see it as well. Just added a moment of tension when people were wondering if it was out or not, and then have it shattered on the replay.

Midwinter

State Captain
It is still early days for the referral system.

Do you think that in a few years time, when people expect a referral, these moments will still generate the same excitement ?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There's nothing better than seeing a bowler charge in, trap a batsmen on the pads, and get that immediate result with the deathly finger rising.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Suck it up. (unless its against straya - then its biased)

I wouldn't mind a system by which the third umpire has discretion to call a player back before he has crossed the boundary. Leaving it in the hands of the umpires will just be disastrous. Why wouldn't they just refer every decision then?