• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey - A second wind?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Looking more and more like an actual resurrection rather than just a twitch of the corpse, I'd say. Seems in genuinely good touch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Against bowling of that calibre you need it.
Not disagreeing. Just that if his two edges had carried to Swann instead of dropping just short, he'd possibly be out of the team with calls for his retirement.

Fine margins.

pasag

RTDAS
Hussey's a pretty lucky batsman in general, most of his centuries over the past few years have come with things going for him over and above the cosmic assistance most other batsmen receive.

tooextracool

International Coach
I've always rated him quite highly, though in the context of the big picture and his overall career I fear that it might be difficult to assess him compared to some of his peers.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought he was a little unlucky to get out to what seemed like his first false shot in four hours. After playing Swann so well he'd kinda earnt the right to miss one. Quality delivery though.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Some dramatic justice in a weird way, best ball of the day to end the best innings. Hussey played fantastically well today.

Spark

Global Moderator
Eh? Nowhere near the best ball of the day, Anderson's two balls to Ponting/Clarke were just in a different universe

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Australia's best chance of getting something from this series lies with Hussey

Xuhaib

International Coach
Eh? Nowhere near the best ball of the day, Anderson's two balls to Ponting/Clarke were just in a different universe
they were decent balls but Ponting and especially Clarke handling of them was rank.

Ruckus

International Captain
they were decent balls but Ponting and especially Clarke handling of them was rank.
Really? I thought Clarke got a sublime delivery which, even though he went at it pretty hard, would be pretty hard not to get out to. Ponting played his far worse imo. Just looked off balance and he hit his pad with his bat.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Really? I thought Clarke got a sublime delivery which, even though he went at it pretty hard, would be pretty hard not to get out to. Ponting played his far worse imo. Just looked off balance and he hit his pad with his bat.
Clarke had no business going so hard at the ball when he knew Jimmeh was getting the away swing yeah looking back both shots were quite dire.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree on the first part...don't think they have to be described as other-worldly, it was just very good bowling to guys who just got in. They were good balls in good areas. Don't think Clarke and Ponting handled them too badly though given they'd just got in. They had to play. Whether Clarke had to go so hard at the ball is questionable.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree on the first part...don't think they have to be described as other-worldly, it was just very good bowling to guys who just got in. They were good balls in good areas. Don't think Clarke and Ponting handled them too badly though given they'd just got in. They had to play. Whether Clarke had to go so hard at the ball is questionable.
While that's true, I don't think it's especially likely that it would've made that much difference had he gone with soft hands. The ball was brand new so any edge wasn't going to drop short and the line was so close to off-stump, Clarke didn't really have any right to be missing it. Think both dismissals were a classic case of just getting a good one.

The openers are there to protect the side's strokemakers from deliveries like those. I'm perfectly happy to lump all of the blame on Simon Katich.

Ruckus

International Captain
The openers are there to protect the side's strokemakers from deliveries like those. I'm perfectly happy to lump all of the blame on Simon Katich.
Yeah I kind of felt sorry for Watto when he was being interviewed and he said he thought it was all his fault. No chance, Katich was simply too hesitant.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah I kind of felt sorry for Watto when he was being interviewed and he said he thought it was all his fault. No chance, Katich was simply too hesitant.
Likewise Doherty and Haddin...Doherty ahd about 10 Captain cooks before he went on his way.