• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey - A second wind?

Spark

Global Moderator
IMO his best innings for sure. Leeman to upload?

Ponting himself in his prime would have to work very hard indeed to match his viciousness on the marginally short ball. A lot of his pulls, especially off Swann, were off a good length.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He still looked dodgy starting. I reckon it might be one more big one just to bust Got_Spin and a lot of failures for the rest of the series.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah but I'm talking about the start of his innings. After his first ball he looked fine.

Mind you that could just have been a relative/comparative thing...

This morning was more down to an outstanding spell of bowling and a very good one from the other end IMO.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah but I'm talking about the start of his innings. After his first ball he looked fine.

This morning was more down to an outstanding spell of bowling and a very good one from the other end IMO.
Hussey looked far far worse in the morning than Haddin did. Completely all over the shop, falling over himself and getting trapped in front.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
go with A if he continue to play with the same intent.While he massively struggle in test cricket for the last 2 or so years his OD form has been excelent.Yes its a diffrent ballgame but if the slown reflections are the reason behind his test slump then it should have some effect on OD form as well which it didn't so we can assume that he score runs in OD cricket becourse he's forced to do so in an certain rate.So if he look to score,then he'll score.If he look to grind he'll fail.Not only this game but the 2nd innings of the last shield game as well where he decided to score freely and earn runs.

The bottomline is that there aren't many test class readymade young batsmen in Australia rightnow so if and old pro like hussey or punter can gather a second wind it'l be a huge bonus for the future plans.

Uppercut

That's the standard of bowling to expect from England tbf.

And what Got_Spin said.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Looking for predictions here, will he:

a) Continue the way he did in this innings, going from strength to strength playing a more free flowing game for a couple of years? OR

b) Revert back to recent poor form, this innings being an anomaly? OR

c) Retire on a high?
Can definitely rule out (c). He was quoted recently saying that he derives inspiration from Tendulkar's rejuvenation, and had no plans to retire soon himself.

vcs

I don't know, would be very harsh to downplay the quality of his knock, because he had one or two moments of fortune. This is the best I've seen Michael Hussey bat in a long, long time. Probably since the last Ashes series in Australia.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Muss doesn't need to retire on a high. He still obviously loves the game (compared to say a Martyn when he retired) and he's only been playing test cricket for 5 years.

flibbertyjibber

He needs to carry on,Australia need him with doubts over a few of the other bats in the side due to fitness and form.It was a top knock and when any player gets a score that big they generally have a few moments of fortune in it,just Hussey had quite a few but credit to him he cashed in and got big runs when his side needed it.

Be interesting to see if this was a one off or if he can back it up with more good scores through the series.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Don't reckon he'll dominate this series but that he'll start chipping in with a few more useful runs. I also don't think he intends to retire if he continues to play well either

Spark

Global Moderator
Hussey looked far far worse in the morning than Haddin did. Completely all over the shop, falling over himself and getting trapped in front.
Because Hussey faced Anderson much, much more than Haddin. I don't think Haddin would've looked much more comfortable against that.

Ruckus

International Captain
Because Hussey faced Anderson much, much more than Haddin. I don't think Haddin would've looked much more comfortable against that.
I don't think any batsmen would have... it was just damn good bowling.

Spark

Global Moderator
It was indeed, which is why I'm saying Hussey looking "scratchy" then is not a fair indication of anything wrt to his batting form.

Ruckus

International Captain
It was indeed, which is why I'm saying Hussey looking "scratchy" then is not a fair indication of anything wrt to his batting form.
I don't think he looked particularly scratchy anyway. Given most of the balls Anderson was bowling were flying 1 mm past his bat, you are hardly going to look in control. The only iffy moment other than his first ball was a few of the close lbw calls later on, but other than that he looked easily as good as the Huseey of old imo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I love Muss cos he's such a top bloke
Muss doesn't need to retire on a high. He still obviously loves the game (compared to say a Martyn when he retired) and he's only been playing test cricket for 5 years.
Agreeing with Octavius (© DCYE) on both points here. Hussey does seem a genuinely good guy, so if anyone was going to score 195 versus us in this Ashes he's the least worst option, give or take the odd Katich or two.

& he was 30+ on debut, so can't see him willingly pulling the plug myself. Making up for lost time, etc.