• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Hussey - A second wind?

pasag

RTDAS
Looking for predictions here, will he:

a) Continue the way he did in this innings, going from strength to strength playing a more free flowing game for a couple of years? OR

b) Revert back to recent poor form, this innings being an anomaly? OR

c) Retire on a high?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Always the home bully.
Yeah, he's always been considerably better at home than away. Still reckon he'll call it quits at the end of this series though, just hoping that he keeps up this form for the rest of the series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
B.

Reckon he could have a good series even beyond this knock but I reckon he's pretty much done after that. You could see the emotion after he reached his ton; he's not going to be this pumped every time he goes out to bat and, while he can definitely still produce a good innings under pressure, I think he's a sub-40 average batsman these days.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
C - Retire after retaining the Ashes at his home ground :)

Would be awesome but unlikely.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely a last hurrah. Nice knock today and yesterday, good on him, etc. But a bloke only fired up enough to get a score when his head's on the chopping block needs to step aside.

Debris

International 12th Man
B.

Reckon he could have a good series even beyond this knock but I reckon he's pretty much done after that. You could see the emotion after he reached his ton; he's not going to be this pumped every time he goes out to bat and, while he can definitely still produce a good innings under pressure, I think he's a sub-40 average batsman these days.
Actually I think he is that pumped up every time he bats. Mussey is a strange man.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think PEWS has it right. However I suspect he'll retire after this series no matter what happens. Actually make that I hope he retires after this Ashes, would rather Huss went out on a High, and with something to remember him by as opposed to the rubbish we've seen from him the last 12-18 months.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Definitely a last hurrah. Nice knock today and yesterday, good on him, etc. But a bloke only fired up enough to get a score when his head's on the chopping block needs to step aside.
As opposed to someone who doesn't get a score when their head's on the chopping block?

It's not a Steve Waugh scenario in which his reflexes are obviously failing; and it's not likely this discussion would have happened a year ago had he done the same thing first innings of a home series - at least not without being drowned out by 'Huss is back, can I b00f him?!?!' threads.

It amazes me that people will contrive to piss on anything Hussey-related nowadays, and that they manage to piss high enough for it to land on a virtual double ton. These discussions are meant for ageing batsmen who hole out on 65.

BTW, I wish Clarke, Ponting, Watson and North would get their home bully on.

Spark

Global Moderator
As opposed to someone who doesn't get a score when their head's on the chopping block?

It's not a Steve Waugh scenario in which his reflexes are obviously failing; and it's not likely this discussion would have happened a year ago had he done the same thing first innings of a home series - at least not without being drowned out by 'Huss is back, can I b00f him?!?!' threads.

It amazes me that people will contrive to piss on anything Hussey-related nowadays, and that they manage to piss high enough for it to land on a virtual double ton. These discussions are meant for ageing batsmen who hole out on 65.

BTW, I wish Clarke, Ponting, Watson and North would get their home bully on.
Is this the same North whose highest Test score in Australia is something like 60?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Is this the same North whose highest Test score in Australia is something like 60?
Was more mocking the idea of 'home bully' being a pejorative term in a home series, and that the other lot should follow Hussey's home bully lead despite it clearly sabotaging his career.

But I take your point, North would fail at primary-school bullying.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
It's a really tough question... if there was an option D "I don't know", I would probably choose that. I'm so confused about Hussey now...Here is a batsmen who has averaged poorly (by his standards) for the past two years and has looked incredibly fidgety most of the time, yet comes out and plays arguably the best knock of his entire career. So it begs the question, why has he played so poorly for the past two years? Before this knock I would have said because he is a ageing cricketer whose reflexes are diminishing. However, this knock clearly proves his reflexes are the same as ever. You could also make arguments about his technique being found out or flawed in some way. Yet once again this knock, which was up against some truly excellent bowling, proved his technique is sound. The only other explanation would be his mentality/approach has been too negative - hence why when he was told to take risk by selectors, and came out in such a positive fashion, he succeeded. Given that, I'd be inclined to say 'option A', and hat Hussey will learn from this experience and have an excellent series. If he does that, I can't see him retiring just yet.

Blaze 18

Banned
Looking for predictions here, will he:

a) Continue the way he did in this innings, going from strength to strength playing a more free flowing game for a couple of years? OR

b) Revert back to recent poor form, this innings being an anomaly? OR

c) Retire on a high?

I would like to see what he does in the remaining four matches before making a prediction. Everyone thought that he had turned a corner after a fine hundred in the last Ashes test in England; but his performances since that test up until now have been average.

If I had to choose an option out of the three, I would go with the second one. I cannot see him carrying on for another two years; him retiring after this series is virtually out of question, in my opinion.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
I would like to see what he does in the remaining four matches before making a prediction. Everyone thought that he had turned a corner after a fine hundred in the last Ashes test in England; but his performances since that test up until now have been average.
That was a gritty innings but didn't seem like he had his stroke-play and fluency back.

On this innings in his 2nd 100 he played many cracking cover drives, picked up length quickly and used his feet beautifully. I really believe this is the old Hussey back.

Ruckus

International Captain
That was a gritty innings but didn't seem like he had his stroke-play and fluency back.
yeah I agree. That century was when Australia were practically down and out anyway with a ridiculous run chase. This has been his first fluent century in pressure for a long, long time. You can't include the one in Sydney vs Pak, because it was probably rigged, and very streaky whatever the case.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mike Hussey's home average: 64.79
Mike Hussey's away average: 38.61

Just more of the same. I love Muss cos he's such a top bloke, but meh.

Blaze 18

Banned

On this innings in his 2nd 100 he played many cracking cover drives, picked up length quickly and used his feet beautifully. I really believe this is the old Hussey back.
That is a fair point. Still, I would like to see how he goes in the remaining four matches.