• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Non Aussie/English CWers, who will you be supporting?

The team you will support

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm talking about in the long run. If Australia win, then in 10/20/50 years it'll be just another case of Aus winning in Aus. But if England win over there then it'll go down as the first time in 20-odd years it's happened, and maybe not for a long time, regardless of how difficult it was.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I'm talking about in the long run. If Australia win, then in 10/20/50 years it'll be just another case of Aus winning in Aus. But if England win over there then it'll go down as the first time in 20-odd years it's happened, and maybe not for a long time, regardless of how difficult it was.

True, i agree with that aspect of the history being made.

My point of view was more related to the current strength of both teams.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, it'll be huge if England win. The Aussies almost never lose in Australia, and certainly not in the last 20 years. If they win again, it'll just be Tuesday for them. If England win, it'll be a rare moment of success in a damn long time.

It'll be close. I still think England will do it though. And that's why I'm so friggin' excited.
It really won't just be like Tuesday again...Clearly a huge win for either side

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Come on. We have to be realistic and honest with ourselves...I would love to see Australia win at home but the truth of the matter is, England has a more stable batting lineup barring Cook and Pieterson. They have a world class spinner. And they have one of the best bowling lineups for the Australian conditions barring Anderson who would be more effective on green tops...(Gabba pitch will be ideal). England is a much much stronger side.

For Australia... Ponting, Clarke, Hussey are struggling in my books. We all know who North is. Katich and Watson are the bright spots along with Haddin. God knows what Khawaja is like. Steven Smith is released to play domestic. I would say if there is anything that is threatening right now then that's the Australian pace bowling.

To me as a non-Aussie/non-British watcher. England has the upper hand and Australia will have to battle hard if they want the Ashes....

Still all this doesn't mean that England will win....This means that it will be big for Australia to win this one.

Its amazing how many people tend to think Australia are underdogs including the Australian media...Really its so exaggerated..

Australia is anything but underrated...They are rated number 5 and Sri Lanka are rated number 3...No way are Australia a worse test side than Sri Lanka.

I was shocked to see the coverage on Australian media after the India series..That could so easily have been 1-1. The first test could have gone either way. So the 0-2 scorecard does not mean Autsralia were crushed..

Coming to the Ashes...Australia are next to unbeatable at home..In the last 15 years they have lost just 1 series at home??

I dont even see India who are the number 1 test beating Australia in Australia..

So its England who are the underdogs and Aussies who are the favourites

Faisal1985

Its amazing how many people tend to think Australia are underdogs including the Australian media...Really its so exaggerated..

Australia is anything but underrated...They are rated number 5 and Sri Lanka are rated number 3...No way are Australia a worse test side than Sri Lanka.

I was shocked to see the coverage on Australian media after the India series..That could so easily have been 1-1. The first test could have gone either way. So the 0-2 scorecard does not mean Autsralia were crushed..

Coming to the Ashes...Australia are next to unbeatable at home..In the last 15 years they have lost just 1 series at home??

I dont even see India who are the number 1 test beating Australia in Australia..

So its England who are the underdogs and Aussies who are the favourites
That's the thing, you are basing this on the stats and home conditions. I am basing this on the actual strengths of both teams. Provided that England has the bowling unit to do well in Australia and provided that Aussies batting has been struggling lately, i would tend to think Australia are the underdogs.

Mind you it will play out well for them. The way Siddle bowled was just amazing otherwise England were cruising along..

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
but those stats also reflect reality buddy..its not like they came from nowhere..

Australia are next to unbeatable at home, even without Warne and McGrath. Forget about England, even India the number 1 team will find it hard to beat them at home.

Yes England have a great chance, their best chance in decades as other people have pointed out..but I wouldnt really call Australia underdogs

Faisal1985

but those stats also reflect reality buddy..its not like they came from nowhere..

Australia are next to unbeatable at home, even without Warne and McGrath. Forget about England, even India the number 1 team will find it hard to beat them at home.

Yes England have a great chance, their best chance in decades as other people have pointed out..but I wouldnt really call Australia underdogs
It is a very close fight nevertheless, Aussies far from dominant at home atm.