Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Injury Watch

Injury Watch

The one batsman in line for selection who got some runs in the round of Shield games pulls up sore: Sheffield Shield: Michael Clarke scores 113, but Andrew McDonald's twin tons put Victoria on top | New South Wales v Victoria, Sheffield Shield, Sydney, 3rd day Report | Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Doug Bollinger's quest to prove his fitness for the Ashes takes another step, bowling in front of the media in the nets at Moises Henriques, while Katich has encouraging news: The Ashes 2010-11: Doug Bollinger back to 100% fitness | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | Cricinfo.com

I guess it's worth inclusion, as his name was being bandied about as being an Ashes bolter, and was part of the Australian A squad, but won't be any more as Mitchell Starc is out for a while with a side injury: Starc out for four weeks

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I guess it's worth inclusion, as his name was being bandied about as being an Ashes bolter, and was part of the Australian A squad, but won't be any more as Mitchell Starc is out for a while with a side injury: Starc out for four weeks
    That is interesting, though he's likely be back for the one-dayers. Who's going to be the quicks for Oz A then? I'd guess George, Harris and Cameron?
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Well all reports suggest that Clarke's back was much less good than I first imagined. It didn't seem to inhibit his strokeplay towards the end of his innings but it certainly inhibited his running between the wickets.

Would be astonished if he missed the first test though.

EDIT: http://www.cricket.com.au/news-displ...ps-sweet/22634
    Last edited by Spark; 13-11-2010 at 02:33 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Well all reports suggest that Clarke's back was much less good than I first imagined. It didn't seem to inhibit his strokeplay towards the end of his innings but it certainly inhibited his running between the wickets.

Would be astonished if he missed the first test though.

EDIT: Cricket Australia > Latest News > News
    He'll have 10 days intensive treatment on it and be fine.Would have to go completely on morning of 24th for him to miss match.Might not be allowed a sub fielder for him though if England are sensible about it.

Now, Clarke is someone who should be rested in the lead up to the First Test.

Anyway, with all the injuries to our players so early in the season (Harris, Bollinger, Starc, MacGoffin, and now Clarke), hopefully it will put to bed the little myth that too much cricket actually causes these injuries.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    He'll have 10 days intensive treatment on it and be fine.Would have to go completely on morning of 24th for him to miss match.Might not be allowed a sub fielder for him though if England are sensible about it.
    He'll just say he's going off between bowling spells for a towel down and some coaching, should be right as rain.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    He'll just say he's going off between bowling spells for a towel down and some coaching, should be right as rain.

Was just thinking exactly the same thing reading that comment.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I rate Clarke (as a test match batsman, I mean; captain, limited overs batsman, human being: not so much), but not to the extent I'd have him in the side even if his back is totally shot. It's not like he's in prime nick just now.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

If we didn't have any batters to replace him then I would consider it but we have quite a few putting their hands up.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I rate Clarke (as a test match batsman, I mean; captain, limited overs batsman, human being: not so much), but not to the extent I'd have him in the side even if his back is totally shot. It's not like he's in prime nick just now.
    Looked awesome for NSW against a good Victorian attack. Crook back in the second innings and all.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    If we didn't have any batters to replace him then I would consider it but we have quite a few putting their hands up.
    Do we really?
    I think Australia's Test-class batting depth is probably at its lowest point for about fifteen years at the moment. Khawaja aside, all the batsmen in the country who I'd back to average 40 in Tests in the short term are either in the team already, have been blacklisted by the selectors or are in poor form.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Aggers on the radio this morning said Harris himself says he's unlikely to be fit for the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Do we really?
    I think Australia's Test-class batting depth is probably at its lowest point for about fifteen years at the moment. Khawaja aside, all the batsmen in the country who I'd back to average 40 in Tests in the short term are either in the team already, have been blacklisted by the selectors or are in poor form.
    This was including the blacklist players who are actually available. Cosgrove has been making runs before SA stuffed him about, still did well in England averaging 49.5 and started this season well. David Hussey enough said really. Cameron White has been averaging close to 50 when he gets the chance to play for Victoria. So in there we have 4 batsmen capable of replacing him and averaging over 40 in Test. You can throw in Steve Smith who had scored 4 centuries last season and Hughes who was dropped, started the season slowly before being the 3rd highest run scorer last season. Played 2 games this season so really I don't consider that a good enough period to say hes out of form.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Do we really?
    This is the main issue that many don't realise. The Australian batting depth is at a very low point at this time, we are championing for the likes of White (FC average of 41.80), Ferguson (FC average of 36.34) and McDonald (39.58). I don't think these types of batsmen will ever return Australia to past glory, and yet they are the best of our backups.

It is a far cry to the 90's and 00's when players like Martin Love could only manage 5 Tests (with a FC batting average of 49.85), Darren Lehmann managed only 27 Tests (and averaged 57.83) and the likes of Martyn, Langer and Hayden had to battle it out for years until they deserved a full time Test spot, even Gilchrist couldn't crack Test cricket until he was 28. To think some guys like Siddons, Di Venuto and Maher hardly deserved a mention for Test selection (yet if they were at their peak would deserve automatic selection in the current day). This current generation of batsmen is highly unlikely to bring Australia the success that many in the media and many Australian fans believe is our right. The hope does rest with Smith, Khawaja, Hughes etc who are turning out numbers that compare with the early days of Lehmann, Martyn, Langer etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information