• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Injury Watch

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The one batsman in line for selection who got some runs in the round of Shield games pulls up sore: Sheffield Shield: Michael Clarke scores 113, but Andrew McDonald's twin tons put Victoria on top | New South Wales v Victoria, Sheffield Shield, Sydney, 3rd day Report | Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Doug Bollinger's quest to prove his fitness for the Ashes takes another step, bowling in front of the media in the nets at Moises Henriques, while Katich has encouraging news: The Ashes 2010-11: Doug Bollinger back to 100% fitness | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | Cricinfo.com

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I guess it's worth inclusion, as his name was being bandied about as being an Ashes bolter, and was part of the Australian A squad, but won't be any more as Mitchell Starc is out for a while with a side injury: Starc out for four weeks

Howe_zat

Audio File
I guess it's worth inclusion, as his name was being bandied about as being an Ashes bolter, and was part of the Australian A squad, but won't be any more as Mitchell Starc is out for a while with a side injury: Starc out for four weeks
That is interesting, though he's likely be back for the one-dayers. Who's going to be the quicks for Oz A then? I'd guess George, Harris and Cameron?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well all reports suggest that Clarke's back was much less good than I first imagined. It didn't seem to inhibit his strokeplay towards the end of his innings but it certainly inhibited his running between the wickets.

Would be astonished if he missed the first test though.

EDIT: Cricket Australia > Latest News > News
He'll have 10 days intensive treatment on it and be fine.Would have to go completely on morning of 24th for him to miss match.Might not be allowed a sub fielder for him though if England are sensible about it.

howardj

International Coach
Now, Clarke is someone who should be rested in the lead up to the First Test.

Anyway, with all the injuries to our players so early in the season (Harris, Bollinger, Starc, MacGoffin, and now Clarke), hopefully it will put to bed the little myth that too much cricket actually causes these injuries.

Burgey

He'll have 10 days intensive treatment on it and be fine.Would have to go completely on morning of 24th for him to miss match.Might not be allowed a sub fielder for him though if England are sensible about it.
He'll just say he's going off between bowling spells for a towel down and some coaching, should be right as rain.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I rate Clarke (as a test match batsman, I mean; captain, limited overs batsman, human being: not so much), but not to the extent I'd have him in the side even if his back is totally shot. It's not like he's in prime nick just now.

Sylvester

State Captain
If we didn't have any batters to replace him then I would consider it but we have quite a few putting their hands up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I rate Clarke (as a test match batsman, I mean; captain, limited overs batsman, human being: not so much), but not to the extent I'd have him in the side even if his back is totally shot. It's not like he's in prime nick just now.
Looked awesome for NSW against a good Victorian attack. Crook back in the second innings and all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If we didn't have any batters to replace him then I would consider it but we have quite a few putting their hands up.
Do we really?
I think Australia's Test-class batting depth is probably at its lowest point for about fifteen years at the moment. Khawaja aside, all the batsmen in the country who I'd back to average 40 in Tests in the short term are either in the team already, have been blacklisted by the selectors or are in poor form.

Sylvester

State Captain
Do we really?
I think Australia's Test-class batting depth is probably at its lowest point for about fifteen years at the moment. Khawaja aside, all the batsmen in the country who I'd back to average 40 in Tests in the short term are either in the team already, have been blacklisted by the selectors or are in poor form.
This was including the blacklist players who are actually available. Cosgrove has been making runs before SA stuffed him about, still did well in England averaging 49.5 and started this season well. David Hussey enough said really. Cameron White has been averaging close to 50 when he gets the chance to play for Victoria. So in there we have 4 batsmen capable of replacing him and averaging over 40 in Test. You can throw in Steve Smith who had scored 4 centuries last season and Hughes who was dropped, started the season slowly before being the 3rd highest run scorer last season. Played 2 games this season so really I don't consider that a good enough period to say hes out of form.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Do we really?
This is the main issue that many don't realise. The Australian batting depth is at a very low point at this time, we are championing for the likes of White (FC average of 41.80), Ferguson (FC average of 36.34) and McDonald (39.58). I don't think these types of batsmen will ever return Australia to past glory, and yet they are the best of our backups.

It is a far cry to the 90's and 00's when players like Martin Love could only manage 5 Tests (with a FC batting average of 49.85), Darren Lehmann managed only 27 Tests (and averaged 57.83) and the likes of Martyn, Langer and Hayden had to battle it out for years until they deserved a full time Test spot, even Gilchrist couldn't crack Test cricket until he was 28. To think some guys like Siddons, Di Venuto and Maher hardly deserved a mention for Test selection (yet if they were at their peak would deserve automatic selection in the current day). This current generation of batsmen is highly unlikely to bring Australia the success that many in the media and many Australian fans believe is our right. The hope does rest with Smith, Khawaja, Hughes etc who are turning out numbers that compare with the early days of Lehmann, Martyn, Langer etc.

Top_Cat

AWTA. Forget comparing averages, the current lots hits fewer tons and there are fewer players who are capable of going past 1000+ in a season. The current back-ups just don't score as many runs as the back-up we saw in the 90's/00's, it's really that simple.

Siddons is a great example; in any other time, he'd have played 50+ Tests and would have been a massive boost whenever Australia went to India. Imagine if he was 25 now.

Spark

Global Moderator
So we have injured and coming off a layoff, out of touch, out of touch, in golden form but could barely walk last innings, past it, North, in-touch keeper.

1/7 ain't bad!

Howe_zat

Audio File
So we have injured and coming off a layoff, out of touch, out of touch, in golden form but could barely walk last innings, past it, North, in-touch keeper.

1/7 ain't bad!
Haddin's in touch? Didn't he get 10 from 35 balls today?

Good to see the Aussies setting the bar nice and low.:happy: