• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail

Howe_zat

Audio File
It will certainly make a difference, but it won't be the difference. The best you can do to help good preparation is organise plenty of time and cricket early in the tour, and hope there are no disasters like your captain, best batsman and best bowler suddenly pulling out injured.

Woodster

International Captain
It is unlikely any one factor can decide the outcome of a series, but England seem to have struck the right balance in this year's preparation. Let's hope it pays dividends.

howardj

International Coach
That's right, it's a combination of factors as to why you win a series. Certainly though, preparation plays a part particularly in Australia where teams find it difficult to 'adjust up' to the bounce and, to that end, the First Test is always played at the Gabba. That said, it's important England don't overdo the prep (particularly the bowlers) as this is a very condensed series played over just 43 days (five Tests in seven weeks).

Woodster

International Captain
That's right, it's a combination of factors as to why you win a series. Certainly though, preparation plays a part particularly in Australia where teams find it difficult to 'adjust up' to the bounce and, to that end, the First Test is always played at the Gabba. That said, it's important England don't overdo the prep (particularly the bowlers) as this is a very condensed series played over just 43 days (five Tests in seven weeks).
Yes and as a result of this there may be one or two changes for the game against SA, presume the expected Test XI will play against Australia 'A'. It's about striking the right balance isn't it between enough match practice to ensure they're nice and sharp for Brisbane, and not too much cricket so they're knackered during the latter stages of the series, which I expect will be the very important stages such is the closely matched skills of both sides.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes and as a result of this there may be one or two changes for the game against SA, presume the expected Test XI will play against Australia 'A'. It's about striking the right balance isn't it between enough match practice to ensure they're nice and sharp for Brisbane, and not too much cricket so they're knackered during the latter stages of the series, which I expect will be the very important stages such is the closely matched skills of both sides.
I think the test side will play this week and then they will send the pacemen up to Brisbane to get used to the weather up there.They wouldn't have mentioned that it was a possibility unless they were going to carry it out as if they don't it makes the management look uncertain and currently the Aussies are the ones doing a fine job of that.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Seeing how well the England XI hit their strides in the latter half of the WA game, it'll be interesting to see how much of that is transferred onto the Redbacks. A progression of form, crease time and adjustment to conditions will show whether or not all this prep will pay off.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seeing how well the England XI hit their strides in the latter half of the WA game, it'll be interesting to see how much of that is transferred onto the Redbacks. A progression of form, crease time and adjustment to conditions will show whether or not all this prep will pay off.
Being honest,i don't really care how they perform in the next two games as long as what they do means there are as many of the team as possible at top form for the first test.If they win then great as it builds confidence but you don't want just one or two players carrying the side to victory in these games and the rest going in to the test series totally out of sorts.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Thank Christ you didn't say "momentum".

:happy: Well avoided :happy:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Being honest,i don't really care how they perform in the next two games as long as what they do means there are as many of the team as possible at top form for the first test.If they win then great as it builds confidence but you don't want just one or two players carrying the side to victory in these games and the rest going in to the test series totally out of sorts.
Fair enough, but you don't want their asses handed to them by the goddamn Redbacks :ph34r:

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just on preparation, was reading this article this morning:
Ponting ready for bumper barrage | Fox Sports

In it Stuart Broad is asked if they'll target Ponting with the bouncer and he replied:
We've not done our analysis on the different players yet, but I think the key to the bouncer to any batsman is that you don't overuse it
Perhaps he was just deflecting the question with that statement. Or is it possible England haven't got their plans finalised yet? Because you'd think a 12 months is more than enough time to get your plans together. Maybe Flower just hasn't shared them with the bowlers yet.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I listened to the interview with Swann on the BBC and he was saying that due to the video/backroom analysis (in which he said England were world leaders) he had a plan A, B and C for each of Australia's bastmen. So I think Broad was just deflecting.

tooextracool

International Coach
Think this is an average England team that over the past year and a half or so has been playing above themselves due to the quality of preparation, training and effort by Andy Flower and the rest of the backroom staff. They are perhaps the only one of the top 4 nations going around without a single great player. I think this fact, along with the fact that Australian confidence remains at an all time low makes me believe that they have a relatively good chance of winning though I'd still favor Australia 60-40.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think one thing that has been missed is that this side is perhaps the most athletic England side from recent memory. In terms of fielding they are arguably as good as any side in the world and by far better than any England team I've seen come to these shores. Sometimes, it is the intangibles that make the difference in a series where it is too close to call.

Woodster

International Captain
Just on preparation, was reading this article this morning:
Ponting ready for bumper barrage | Fox Sports

In it Stuart Broad is asked if they'll target Ponting with the bouncer and he replied:

Perhaps he was just deflecting the question with that statement. Or is it possible England haven't got their plans finalised yet? Because you'd think a 12 months is more than enough time to get your plans together. Maybe Flower just hasn't shared them with the bowlers yet.
Absolutely they'll have their plans, perhaps individually, but more collective plans will continue to be discussed I'm sure, but they won't be willing to share them with the media.

Blog it for six

Cricket Spectator
I’ve been impressed with the performances in the two warm up games so far. Without putting too much weight on them, it was good to see that every batter (except Trott) has got 50 and the wickets have been shared around across the four innings. I’ve been especially happy to see Swann bag a few as well!

If some bowlers players go up to Brisbane first then I would like to see that be Anderson and Broad. I would like to see Finn go to Hobart because at 21, I think the more practice he gets the better – regardless of the venue. I would also like to see Swann continue to play in Hobart too, mainly because of how important rhythm is to a spinner. The more overs he has under his belt, then I feel the more rhythm will come from it and this will allow him to bowl confidently with the drift and flight that is crucial to his orthodox spin.

Woodster

International Captain
I’ve been impressed with the performances in the two warm up games so far. Without putting too much weight on them, it was good to see that every batter (except Trott) has got 50 and the wickets have been shared around across the four innings. I’ve been especially happy to see Swann bag a few as well!

If some bowlers players go up to Brisbane first then I would like to see that be Anderson and Broad. I would like to see Finn go to Hobart because at 21, I think the more practice he gets the better – regardless of the venue. I would also like to see Swann continue to play in Hobart too, mainly because of how important rhythm is to a spinner. The more overs he has under his belt, then I feel the more rhythm will come from it and this will allow him to bowl confidently with the drift and flight that is crucial to his orthodox spin.
Absolutely, we may have endured one or two wobbles with the bat, but individually virtually everyone has managed some time in the middle, and got some runs behind them.

I would probably agree that Anderson and Broad, if they choose to have anyone go ahead, should make their way to Brisbane. Swann's workload will have to be closely monitored, I'm sure with the technical staff we have it will be scrutinised, he has bowled 71.3 overs on this tour so far, and the judgement of Flower and co will be essential in ensuring he gets enough overs under his belt and is absolutely fresh come Brisbane, free of any niggles where possible.

You mention rhythm, which is key to all bowlers, but is vital for Swann to get his drift, and have confidence in his other deliveries in his repertoire.