• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finn

Jacknife

International Captain
Was it any coincidence, that the 2 best Oz bowlers have only played 2 tests, along with Tremlett, they all seemed more fit and firing than the others.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Was it any coincidence, that the 2 best Oz bowlers have only played 2 tests, along with Tremlett, they all seemed more fit and firing than the others.
Not so much as remotely a coincidence. Though Johnson being one of the best two after one outstanding spell also says something about Aus' bowling at Adelaide.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBH I thought Jimmeh looked moreso in need of a rest than Finn, even from early on in the Perth match. He's so much better than the alternatives that he kinda has to be picked, but the next two matches are back-to-back, and how well is he going to be bowling by the second innings at Sydney?

Having such a settled lineup served England pretty well for the first two tests but with Broad's injury it could easily come back to bite them in the ass in the last two. Of Australia's attack, only Peter Siddle has played all three of the first games. And he'll run in all day :ph34r:.

Burgey

TBH I thought Jimmeh looked moreso in need of a rest than Finn, even from early on in the Perth match. He's so much better than the alternatives that he kinda has to be picked, but the next two matches are back-to-back, and how well is he going to be bowling by the second innings at Sydney?

Having such a settled lineup served England pretty well for the first two tests but with Broad's injury it could easily come back to bite them in the ass in the last two. Of Australia's attack, only Peter Siddle has played all three of the first games. And he'll run in all day :ph34r:.
He'd been to the UK and back in a week though.

Recent experience tells me that can be somewhat tiring.

Uppercut

True, I'd forgotten about that. Although in no way does his exhausting escapade between the second and third test make me more convinced that he'll manage to maintain standards until the end of the SCG test.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ah. Has Finn replaced Mitchell Johnson as the current CW in vogue "Only takes wickets with bad balls" bowler? As with Johnson, what a pile of tripe. He takes wickets with good balls, and bowls tripe in between, get it right.

Also, certainly at Perth he was clearly playing with a more than basic niggle.
I wasn't really on that Johnson train but regarding Finn I would agree he can bowl good balls that take wickets, however the amount of wickets he has taken this series has been more so to brain meltdowns by Australian's than his own occasional flashes of class. Anderson and Broad outbowled him for large patches of those first two Tests and Finn got gifted a fair amount of the wickets.

My opinion of him is also slightly influenced by some English overrating of him on TestMatchSofa. Can't fault a young bloke having a bit of luck in a tour of Australia too much but he is the lesser part of the English attack IMO.

flibbertyjibber

If Finn is dropped i'd be happy with Shahzad to get the nod but i think Bresnan will as he has more experience.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Be Bresnan for me too. Another thing he has going for him over Shahzad is the batting. The tail didn't look anywhere near as strong with Tremlett in for Broad. Bresnan at 8 gives us some serious depth in the batting.

G Rot

Cricket Spectator
I havent seen much of shahzad but ive seen a fair bit of bresnan and from what ive seen shahzad looks much more threatening... Bresnan just looks like he lumbers in bowls at an easy pace with no real movement. As an aussie fan id much rather see bresnan - finn - shahzad in that order....

Burgey

Shazad was impressive in the tour match, but so was Bresnan IMHO.

Honestly think either will do ok if picked.

FBU

International Debutant
In the 2 tour matches

65.1-14-178-7 - Tremlett - 25.42 econ 2.73 s/r 55.8
69.0-12-235-7 - Bresnan - 33.57 econ 3.40 s/r 59.1
66.0-14-201-3 - Shahzad - 67.00 econ 3.04 s/r 132.0