Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Finn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Tal here theis morning that Finn might be"rested" from Boxing Day.

If that's the case, do you blokes think Shazad or Bresnan will come in? Which would you choose?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Tal here theis morning that Finn might be"rested" from Boxing Day.

If that's the case, do you blokes think Shazad or Bresnan will come in? Which would you choose?
    I've suggested on another thread, and I may be in a minority, but my preference would be for Bresnan to come in. He'll give the side more control, allowing us to use Anderson and Tremlett as more attacking/strike bowlers. He may not be as penetrative as many bowlers but he has excellent stamina capable of bowling long spells without losing any pace, I expect he'll be economical, perhaps taking some of those pressures off Swann, and he adds depth to the batting.

His experience gives him the edge over Shahzad also, which could be important in such a massive game at Melbourne.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Another important point with Bresnan, i feel, is that Australia will almost certainly underrate him and look to attack him at every opportunity. Could really backfire for them if he keeps badgering away back of a length and all that (or he could get smacked all over the shop).

Not completely happy with either of him or Shahzad coming in but if Finn really needs a rest as badly as everyone's making out he does, Bresnan's the safer bet. Just stick with Finn, though, please.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I think Finn may benefit from a game off and would agree with Woodster in going for Bresnan to replace him.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Finn has been hit and miss all series, but definately needs a rest. He was flagging quite badly by the final hour of day one in Perth.

I've already offered my worthless opinion on England's bowling, play 'em all.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Was it any coincidence, that the 2 best Oz bowlers have only played 2 tests, along with Tremlett, they all seemed more fit and firing than the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    Was it any coincidence, that the 2 best Oz bowlers have only played 2 tests, along with Tremlett, they all seemed more fit and firing than the others.
    Not so much as remotely a coincidence. Though Johnson being one of the best two after one outstanding spell also says something about Aus' bowling at Adelaide.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    TBH I thought Jimmeh looked moreso in need of a rest than Finn, even from early on in the Perth match. He's so much better than the alternatives that he kinda has to be picked, but the next two matches are back-to-back, and how well is he going to be bowling by the second innings at Sydney?

Having such a settled lineup served England pretty well for the first two tests but with Broad's injury it could easily come back to bite them in the ass in the last two. Of Australia's attack, only Peter Siddle has played all three of the first games. And he'll run in all day .
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    TBH I thought Jimmeh looked moreso in need of a rest than Finn, even from early on in the Perth match. He's so much better than the alternatives that he kinda has to be picked, but the next two matches are back-to-back, and how well is he going to be bowling by the second innings at Sydney?

Having such a settled lineup served England pretty well for the first two tests but with Broad's injury it could easily come back to bite them in the ass in the last two. Of Australia's attack, only Peter Siddle has played all three of the first games. And he'll run in all day .
    He'd been to the UK and back in a week though.

Recent experience tells me that can be somewhat tiring.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    True, I'd forgotten about that. Although in no way does his exhausting escapade between the second and third test make me more convinced that he'll manage to maintain standards until the end of the SCG test.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Ah. Has Finn replaced Mitchell Johnson as the current CW in vogue "Only takes wickets with bad balls" bowler? As with Johnson, what a pile of tripe. He takes wickets with good balls, and bowls tripe in between, get it right.

Also, certainly at Perth he was clearly playing with a more than basic niggle.
    I wasn't really on that Johnson train but regarding Finn I would agree he can bowl good balls that take wickets, however the amount of wickets he has taken this series has been more so to brain meltdowns by Australian's than his own occasional flashes of class. Anderson and Broad outbowled him for large patches of those first two Tests and Finn got gifted a fair amount of the wickets.

My opinion of him is also slightly influenced by some English overrating of him on TestMatchSofa. Can't fault a young bloke having a bit of luck in a tour of Australia too much but he is the lesser part of the English attack IMO.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    If Finn is dropped i'd be happy with Shahzad to get the nod but i think Bresnan will as he has more experience.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Be Bresnan for me too. Another thing he has going for him over Shahzad is the batting. The tail didn't look anywhere near as strong with Tremlett in for Broad. Bresnan at 8 gives us some serious depth in the batting.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

I havent seen much of shahzad but ive seen a fair bit of bresnan and from what ive seen shahzad looks much more threatening... Bresnan just looks like he lumbers in bowls at an easy pace with no real movement. As an aussie fan id much rather see bresnan - finn - shahzad in that order....

Shazad was impressive in the tour match, but so was Bresnan IMHO.

Honestly think either will do ok if picked.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information