Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Finn

It'll be interesting to see how Finn survives on hard Australian grounds. He seems to take a lot of strain in delivery and keeps falling over. Balance is important for a bowler, and Finn's can only get better

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how Finn survives on hard Australian grounds. He seems to take a lot of strain in delivery and keeps falling over. Balance is important for a bowler, and Finn's can only get better
    But if you get some help from the pitch, as expected in Australia, he may not have to put in as much effort due to his height for the bounce.
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well firstly I disagree that what he's achieved so far is unrelated as proper Test match experience would not only put him in good stead but let us know more about his ability.

More to the point though - I wasn't whinging about the thread going off topic. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that defending criticism of him with "he knows that and he's young so he'll improve" is an irrelevant retort to the claims people are refuting - ie. that he's probably not good enough yet and could be a liability in the Ashes.
    I agree that what he has shown so far is relevant to the upcoming Ashes, I wasn't being serious with my irrelevant comment, just being facetious.

To get back on track, I do think he's good enough right now to perform in the Ashes to a decent standard, and possibly have a telling impact on a Test or two. However, he is still conceding too many four-balls, which I believe he will rectify with hard work, improved concentration, and more experience. He will not become the finished article during this series, but it will be an important stage in his development, he can still be a factor with the skills he currently has.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    For a back-of-a-length bowler like Finn, the definition of a "four ball" changes pretty dramatically between playing against Pakistan/Bangladesh and playing against Australia. If you think he bowled a few too many four-balls during the summer he'll probably go at about 10 an over in Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    For a back-of-a-length bowler like Finn, the definition of a "four ball" changes pretty dramatically between playing against Pakistan/Bangladesh and playing against Australia. If you think he bowled a few too many four-balls during the summer he'll probably go at about 10 an over in Australia
    I think Finn himself said on occasions he bowled too many boundary balls, even when he was taking wickets. He wasn't satisfied with a decent haul, he felt he could bowl better, more economically, and I like that about him, never satisfied and realises there is still much room for improvement.

Yes the Australian batsmen will give a smaller margin for error, in a way that may help Finn to focus and concentrate on every ball, knowing anything slightly off line/length will be punished. No doubt it'll be a test of his skills early in his career.

Finn for me is perhaps a little overrated. He will hopefully prove me wrong of course but he needs either more pace or more sideways movement on the pitch. I fear him becoming a medium pace trundler during this series unless he gets some bounce. Perth is still bouncy right?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Test Match Sofa believe Finn to be > Bollinger (and all the other Aussie bowlers really)
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Test Match Sofa believe Finn to be > Bollinger (and all the other Aussie bowlers really)
    Well Soph does anyway. She's a shocker for rating Australians and Englishmen.
    ~ Cribbage

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Hope CW trolls her when Bolly is going at around 25 per wicket and Finn around 40.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Well I will.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

He is average atleast at his current level of development.

If Aus middle order get their forms back he will travel.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Looking forward to watching him bowl tbh. it's always good to see some new talent emerge, and his height makes him somethign out of the ordinary. Only saw a smidgeon of him in the UK summer so it should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Looking forward to watching him bowl tbh. it's always good to see some new talent emerge, and his height makes him somethign out of the ordinary. Only saw a smidgeon of him in the UK summer so it should be interesting.
    Finn is a welcome addition of new talent, good point. If it weren't for him, Bollinger and now Doherty this series would be almost entirely a rematch of 2009. Though that has its own odd appeal too.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Finn is a welcome addition of new talent, good point. If it weren't for him, Bollinger and now Doherty this series would be almost entirely a rematch of 2009. Though that has its own odd appeal too.
    Trott only played the one game, too.

Driveable is how I see him. An Aston Martin, if you will.

If he's not careful, Watson/Pupter will murder him.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information