• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finn

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Looking forward to watching him bowl tbh. it's always good to see some new talent emerge, and his height makes him somethign out of the ordinary. Only saw a smidgeon of him in the UK summer so it should be interesting.
This is all very pleasant but I'm sure you will have a lovely nickname for him by the weekend

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
See it as an improvement to the side tbh, think Tremlett has a bit more about him at this stage, and can hold his own with the bat.
Good to see us getting it right while Australia.... well y'know

tooextracool

International Coach
Rumour that Tremmers gets the gig. Saker apparently sold on the big guy.
Do you have a source for this? I've never really been sold on Finn, but I also think that this would be a sound choice as we could use Tremlett's reliability, accuracy and swing at Brisbane given the prospect of a green top.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Two bowlers will be enough against the clowns they have in their top six anyway. Swann and one of Anderson or Broad. Probably Anderson as given we can pick more batsmen, Broad loses his biggest advantage over Jimmeh.

5-0 England.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He's certainly prepared to be driven, just needs to stay nice and patient when bowling to batsmen who are "in". All over a new batsman, just think that he shoots for a "wicket ball" a bit too regularly at times.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah. Has Finn replaced Mitchell Johnson as the current CW in vogue "Only takes wickets with bad balls" bowler? As with Johnson, what a pile of tripe. He takes wickets with good balls, and bowls tripe in between, get it right.

Also, certainly at Perth he was clearly playing with a more than basic niggle.

Woodster

International Captain
For me Finn has probably only bowled two, maybe three, spells of any quality. His figures flattered him big time at Brisbane, yet he is the leading wicket-taker in the series with 14, @ 33.14. His economy, however, is over 4 runs per over, and therein lies the problem. He has bowled far too many half trackers, not bouncers, just balls put there short in length with no real intent, Hussey has been the main benficiary, then again all English bowlers have ensured Hussey has proved his capabilities in dealing with the short ball. This guy can pull/hook!!!!

Also he consistently over pitches aswell, for a big guy a drive is a shot he wouldn't want the batsman playing with any ease, and anywhere near as frequently as they have been doing. If you look at the likes of Ambrose, Mcgrath, etc, bowlers of a similar stature, offering the batsman a comfortable drive off the front foot would not happen too frequently at all. It is unfair to compare Finn with those two as they were world class once they'd gained the experience Finn hopes to get, but I'm sure these type of bowlers are what Finn will strive to be like.

It's early days, he's only 21, and this Ashes will be a big learning curve for him, and will help his development as top pace bowler. However, I would prbably look at leaving him out for Melbourne and Sydney.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tal here theis morning that Finn might be"rested" from Boxing Day.

If that's the case, do you blokes think Shazad or Bresnan will come in? Which would you choose?

Woodster

International Captain
Tal here theis morning that Finn might be"rested" from Boxing Day.

If that's the case, do you blokes think Shazad or Bresnan will come in? Which would you choose?
I've suggested on another thread, and I may be in a minority, but my preference would be for Bresnan to come in. He'll give the side more control, allowing us to use Anderson and Tremlett as more attacking/strike bowlers. He may not be as penetrative as many bowlers but he has excellent stamina capable of bowling long spells without losing any pace, I expect he'll be economical, perhaps taking some of those pressures off Swann, and he adds depth to the batting.

His experience gives him the edge over Shahzad also, which could be important in such a massive game at Melbourne.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Another important point with Bresnan, i feel, is that Australia will almost certainly underrate him and look to attack him at every opportunity. Could really backfire for them if he keeps badgering away back of a length and all that (or he could get smacked all over the shop).

Not completely happy with either of him or Shahzad coming in but if Finn really needs a rest as badly as everyone's making out he does, Bresnan's the safer bet. Just stick with Finn, though, please.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think Finn may benefit from a game off and would agree with Woodster in going for Bresnan to replace him.