Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finn

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    I wouldnt be surprised, its a bit odd for any international bowler to admit that he shouldn't really be playing test cricket yet.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    While this is true, I think you (and a few others who have posted) have to keep in mind that this thread was started in the Ashes 2010/11 forum, and not in Cricket Chat. Whether or not Finn has long-term potential isn't tremendously relevant to this season's Ashes, unless you think he's going to find that accuracy over the next couple of weeks.

Finn's decently quick without being express, gets a lot of bounce without making complete use of height, doesn't move the ball much and isn't consistently accurate. His Test experience so far is worth pretty much zero given the circumstances of it. He's pretty impressive for a man of his age and he could go far, but as far as this season's Ashes goes, I think he could be a bit of a weak link.
    While this is true, what he's achieved so far is unrelated to the Ashes 2010/11, so let's keep it in topic!

When a thread is simply about a particular player, surely you can appreciate it may at times veer slightly off course.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Yes the standard of batting in Div 2 this year has, on the whole, been absolutely woeful. I think they also used a different kind of ball (Tiflex or somesuch) which the bowlers found helpful.
    What's the reason they use a different type of ball? Are they experimenting with a view to changing it at the top level, or is it a sponsorship thing?

Seems a little odd tbh.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

I thought that they used the Tiflex the year before? Could have sworn Monty said he hated it and his return to form was helped with them going back the the normal one. But then again my memory is shot at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    While this is true, what he's achieved so far is unrelated to the Ashes 2010/11, so let's keep it in topic!

When a thread is simply about a particular player, surely you can appreciate it may at times veer slightly off course.
    Well firstly I disagree that what he's achieved so far is unrelated as proper Test match experience would not only put him in good stead but let us know more about his ability.

More to the point though - I wasn't whinging about the thread going off topic. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that defending criticism of him with "he knows that and he's young so he'll improve" is an irrelevant retort to the claims people are refuting - ie. that he's probably not good enough yet and could be a liability in the Ashes.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 11-11-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Themer View Post
    I thought that they used the Tiflex the year before? Could have sworn Monty said he hated it and his return to form was helped with them going back the the normal one. But then again my memory is shot at the moment.
    Has to be said it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Has to be said it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.
    Which presumably would surprise you, not on grounds of gender but on grounds of hygiene?

Dunno, could be, my memory is shot too.

I'm not too sure. My memory is pretty poor also.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Dunno, could be, my memory is shot too.
    I'm not too sure. My memory is pretty poor also.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Well firstly I disagree that what he's achieved so far is unrelated as proper Test match experience would not only put him in good stead but let us know more about his ability.

More to the point though - I wasn't whinging about the thread going off topic. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that defending criticism of him with "he knows that and he's young so he'll improve" is an irrelevant retort to the claims people are refuting - ie. that he's probably not good enough yet and could be a liability in the Ashes.
    Agreed, Finn is a gamble, but so are his alternatives. As a player Finn seems stronger mentally than Tremlett, and technically more reliable than someone like Shazhad. Also, he's noticeably a different bowler than Broad and Anderson, which will likely help his cause.

If he sticks to the basics while being well managed by Strauss without wilting under pressure, I expect him to go ok in a supporting role. Australia's batting isn't what it was, as people keep going on about.

If I was an Australian batter, I'd see Anderson as a far more important target to attack. If you damage his confidence early, he'll likely fall to pieces, and he's more important to England's plans than Finn. Finn is a bowler you're better off neutralising rather than assaulting, since he has the 'you miss I hit mentality'.

That said, I agree that it seems strange not to blood Tremlett in at least one or two tour matches, just to get a better idea of where both men stand in Australian conditions.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Yeah but his First Class average doesn't look anything out of the ordinary.
    His debut series against India was awesome though. He was so Clark-esque. He's had a lot of injury problems; the word is that his First Class bowling average is inflated by regularly playing half-fit.
    Yeah, he entirely remodelled his action for the 2007 season, started coming off a shorter run-up, scared the **** out of the county circuit and made it into the England side. Very good bowler indeed when fit, which is pretty much never. It'll be really interesting to see how he's bowling now.
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    The reason i would like to see him in the English bowling lineup is for his height and the likelihood of him getting that bounce along with Broad...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

I'd love to see an attack of Harmison, Broad, Tremlett and Finn on a really bouncy wicket. Carnage.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information