Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finn

Woodster, I wasn't having a go at Tremlett, I think he's a good pick if fully fit. I was just saying that one should be cautious about praising his figures, given the somewhat unremarkable competiton he's had over the last two years.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Maybe on performance, but I hope to God the team isn't picked on the grounds of long-term planning. If there's a time and place for making selections on the basis of long-term planning, it's not at the start of an Ashes series.
    Relax, Finn's in the side on merit. If this side were about future planning then Collingwood would definitely have been dropped for Morgan. As it is, he likely won't be.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Maybe on performance, but I hope to God the team isn't picked on the grounds of long-term planning. If there's a time and place for making selections on the basis of long-term planning, it's not at the start of an Ashes series.
    No you're right and I don't think that will be one of the major factors for his inclusion, just a nice added bonus should he get the nod. But if it is a close selection between the two, maybe that may help his case.

The Ashes is certainly no place for that criteria to have a major bearing in selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Woodster, I wasn't having a go at Tremlett, I think he's a good pick if fully fit. I was just saying that one should be cautious about praising his figures, given the somewhat unremarkable competiton he's had over the last two years.
    No I appreciate you weren't, nor was I trying to defend him to any great extent. My point was even if his figures were average this season, I think he'd have still had a good chance of going on this trip if he proved his fitness.

Relax, Finn's in the side on merit. If this side were about future planning then Collingwood would definitely have been dropped for Morgan. As it is, he likely won't be.
    Finn is in the side on merit, quite right. When you are planning for the future though, you don't get rid of all your experience.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    The way he has gone Colly wouldn't even have been on the tour after the summer he had if we were doing that.Think this is his last test series though to be honest.You could go with Morgan,Taylor,Rashid/AN Other next summer and just shuffle Bell up to 5,possibly even moving Prior to 6 if you went for Rashid at 7 as a 5th bowling option.

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Well he's taken 30 odd Test wickets at a stupidly good average but he has essentially no meaningful Test experience at all. He's played four Tests against Bangladesh and four Tests against a hilariously bad Pakistan team who were regularly 30/4 by the time he came on. Extremely tall and relies on bounce without being particularly quick.

He's a promising young player but I think he'll struggle a bit TBH; I'd pick Tremlett ahead of him.
    Are we talking about the Pakistan which actually had Aussies all out for 88?

On a serious note though....i think he would be a good prospect in Australia provided Jimmeh breaks down...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Why does Tremlett have such a good reputation.. is it because Warne talks him up, or is he brilliant in First Class cricket?
    For one thing, he has a better FC bowling average than all of the other England bowlers in the side. And also a better test match average than Anderson and Broad. Granted that might not mean much but considering hes been playing half injured for the most part it isnt that bad either.

Regarding Finn, the version that I saw over the summer wasn't quite ready for test match cricket. He is a good prospect, but the impression that I get is that he needs to get accustomed to his new action and is not quite close to the finished product yet.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post

On a serious note though....i think he would be a good prospect in Australia provided Jimmeh breaks down...
    Talking about Pakistan's batting, tbf.

As for Finn, his FC economy is slightly worrying (about 3.6) considering he's a supposedly consistent line and length bowler. Seemed a bit wayward in that first innings of the warm up game but its understandable at the beginning of a tour. Hope he's fine but happy with Tremors as a backup man.

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    No, I was talking about their batting.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Talking about Pakistan's batting, tbf.

As for Finn, his FC economy is slightly worrying (about 3.6) considering he's a supposedly consistent line and length bowler. Seemed a bit wayward in that first innings of the warm up game but its understandable at the beginning of a tour. Hope he's fine but happy with Tremors as a backup man.
    He is probably not as consistently accurate as he would like to be, but I'm sure with more experience and understanding of his game, he will bring that economy down. He does bowl too many four-balls at the moment, he himself admits as much.

So there's a new interview with Finn of cricinfo today.

The Ashes 2010-11: Steven Finn believes he can adjust to Australian conditions | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | Cricinfo.com

Doesn't have much in the way of wit or original insight, but it does make him come over as a good-hearted and well-adjusted sort of guy. Good to know.

Cricket Spectator
    Long term planning for Finn was in evidence this Summer when he was hidden away for a monthlong "conditioning program" while Australia were in England. A similar program helped turn Broad from promise to reality last year.

He's good and going to get better.

I

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    According to the telegraph:

The Ashes 2010: Steven Finn plans to bore Australian batsmen into submission - Telegraph

"I don't know what it takes to play in an Ashes series and realistically I'm nowhere near the bowler I need to be to find regular success in international cricket," said Finn.

Cant say Im a fan of Tremlett not playing either of the tour games either.

That article is by derek Pringle, it is therefore mostly lies and regurgitated bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    He is probably not as consistently accurate as he would like to be, but I'm sure with more experience and understanding of his game, he will bring that economy down. He does bowl too many four-balls at the moment, he himself admits as much.
    While this is true, I think you (and a few others who have posted) have to keep in mind that this thread was started in the Ashes 2010/11 forum, and not in Cricket Chat. Whether or not Finn has long-term potential isn't tremendously relevant to this season's Ashes, unless you think he's going to find that accuracy over the next couple of weeks.

Finn's decently quick without being express, gets a lot of bounce without making complete use of height, doesn't move the ball much and isn't consistently accurate. His Test experience so far is worth pretty much zero given the circumstances of it. He's pretty impressive for a man of his age and he could go far, but as far as this season's Ashes goes, I think he could be a bit of a weak link.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information