• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes HQ

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's Martyn. You don't think anyone else would be stupid enough to tip 5-0 do you?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh:

If I make predictions it'll be harder to make fun of everyone else's after the series...

FWIW I think it's ultra-tight but I'd say the locations of the matches makes a draw unlikely. If you pushed me I'd make it about 55/45 in Australia's favour.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, nah, 1-0 up, only needing to draw the series. Now is not the time to go 5man attack, if there ever was one with our situation.

Woodster

International Captain
Makes you realise the bonus of having a player such as Flintoff that gives a side much greater balance. Don't think we've a good enough player to enable us to play a five-man attack without appreciably weakening our batting in theory. I don't think we should play a five-man attack in Perth but I can certainly recognise the advantages of having such bowling options at our disposal.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Makes you realise the bonus of having a player such as Flintoff that gives a side much greater balance. Don't think we've a good enough player to enable us to play a five-man attack without appreciably weakening our batting in theory. I don't think we should play a five-man attack in Perth but I can certainly recognise the advantages of having such bowling options at our disposal.
This is the first time you've disagreed with me Woods. I feel like a puppy that's being told it's been a bad dog for the first time.

Woodster

International Captain
This is the first time you've disagreed with me Woods. I feel like a puppy that's being told it's been a bad dog for the first time.
Ha ha!!! I enjoyed your work, don't get me wrong, but I think with the players we currently have we should only revert to a five-man attack if it's win at all costs. Personally I'm a batting strength kind of guy, and like to see a side with good batting depth, and although Bresnan is a handy cricketer, wouldn't fill me with great confidence seeing him coming in at seven. Not too bad I guess with Broad and Swann behind him, but that obviously wouldn't be the case at Perth.

You're not on your own in wanting a five-man attack, there's plenty of pundits advocating such a switch in our strategy, and they know a lot more than I do. I think the only way it could work for us is possibly playing on the sub-continent where your top six should be relied upon to get the runs, and we can play a second spinner that's useful with the bat at six or seven. ie Rashid, Blackwell, Patel, etc. Although the waist lines would mean two of those players would be very unlikely to get the nod, but hopefully you get my point.

Now stop giving me those puppy dog eyes!! Good doggy.