• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Champion guy? Don't know if you'll find that many around Victorian cricket saying that. Had to do a lot of cleaning up for Nick Jewell over the years...
Have heard the odd story or two but most cricketers i know have nothing but good words to say about him, I guess he's no Dirk Nannes! Love Dirk.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Did someone bag Geoff Lawson? The guy is one of the best cricket commentators out there. Knows his ****, says it like it is, and yet never comes off as harsh or annoying.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Be even better if he replaces Geoff "I don't have the voice for radio" Lawson
Perfect face for radio, though. :ph34r:

Writes well, though. His 1989 Ashes tour diary was quite good.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Did Mark Nicholas just call Ponting "Rikki Clarke"?

I don't hate him nearly as much as many but geez he says some hialriously stupid things...

EDIT: Brayshaw? FFS...

He's said about 10 words and wow my ears are already complaining.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Did Mark Nicholas just call Ponting "Rikki Clarke"?

I don't hate him nearly as much as many but geez he says some hialriously stupid things...

EDIT: Brayshaw? FFS...

He's said about 10 words and wow my ears are already complaining.
Rikki Clarke, that was funny.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Brayshaw's a legend. But if we have to hear more about that bloke who sat on the hill at the SCG one more time, I'll ****ing hit someone.

Andre

International Regular
Reckon there not nearly as bad as they are made out. What we need to bare in mind is that their job (certainly for ODI's/T20's) is as much about entertainment as it is for informative cricket knowledge - on a commercial network, they don't have the luxury that they do on a Fox Sports / ABC radio where they can just focus on the cricket and discussing it in depth. On a commercial netwrok, there is as much a responsibility to be entertaining as there is to call the match.

Think you'll find the commentary is much more focused during the Tests, which is for the die hard fans rather than an attempt to draw in the masses.

PS: The worst commentator going around is Sanjay Manjrekar by a street. Arun Lal, Ranjit Fernando and Mike Haysmann all suck too. No one quite at that level on the 9 team (although occassionally Healy gives it a nudge).

Spark

Global Moderator
They just say some dumbass things sometimes though. Like just now Healy not once, but twice talking about Hauritz bowling "inswingers".

Jayzamann

International Regular
So Mark Nicholas finally realised what hemisphere he was in and is pronouncing it "Dough-er-tee", even though he's not actually playing today.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
PS: The worst commentator going around is Sanjay Manjrekar by a street. Arun Lal, Ranjit Fernando and Mike Haysmann all suck too. No one quite at that level on the 9 team (although occassionally Healy gives it a nudge).
Agree about Sanjay. No doubt he's smarter than half the other Indian commentators, but the dude doesn't shut up! Just loves the sound of his own voice and thinks he's Mr Insightful. He just really grates on me, and it doesn't take long...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Reckon there not nearly as bad as they are made out. What we need to bare in mind is that their job (certainly for ODI's/T20's) is as much about entertainment as it is for informative cricket knowledge - on a commercial network, they don't have the luxury that they do on a Fox Sports / ABC radio where they can just focus on the cricket and discussing it in depth. On a commercial netwrok, there is as much a responsibility to be entertaining as there is to call the match.

Think you'll find the commentary is much more focused during the Tests, which is for the die hard fans rather than an attempt to draw in the masses.

Channel 9 are just cheerleaders these days!!! It is like having to hear Gavaskar on Tendulkar all day!!!

Spark

Global Moderator
I agree with the earlier comments that Taylor is a much more insightful and intelligent cricket commentator than he comes across. A lot of these commentators, even Healy, get better when they're doing the analysis/insight before/after play started. It's just the ball-to-ball that they struggle with.

smash84

The Tiger King
Commentators in other countries always seem to have their finger on the pulse, our guys have no idea whats happening outside of our summer, been going on for years and years this garbage.

Gotta say, Ian Chappell is the man for me, great commentator. The rest are hopeless. Love Nasser and Athers too on Sky.
I used to love Geoffrey Boycott as a commentator. I don't know about others but he could really lay into the players too.

I agree. Well said. And the distance between Arun Lal and Sanjay Manjrekar is not that great.

Thankfully somebody mentioned Mike Haysmann. He has got to be the worst commentator going around. And you have got to hear him when he tries to sound excited when a boundary or a 6 goes around. Hardly seems to be any difference between his normal and excited state except the voice only gets louder. I am always hoping that he doesn't appear in any of the matches that I watch.

I agree with the earlier comments that Taylor is a much more insightful and intelligent cricket commentator than he comes across. A lot of these commentators, even Healy, get better when they're doing the analysis/insight before/after play started. It's just the ball-to-ball that they struggle with.
I think Mark Taylor is a lot better than some of the other people going around.

And I do agree that the Sky commentator team is absolutely wonderful....

Just love the way that David Gower speaks........only one that I don;t like too much on their team is Micheal Holding but even he is better than a lot of other commentators on other channels........Willis, Athers, Nasser, Gower.......top notch team

My favorites are Boycott and Gower. Too bad Boycott doesn't do commentary too often anymore.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I used to love Geoffrey Boycott as a commentator. I don't know about others but he could really lay into the players too.

I agree. Well said. And the distance between Arun Lal and Sanjay Manjrekar is not that great.

Thankfully somebody mentioned Mike Haysmann. He has got to be the worst commentator going around. And you have got to hear him when he tries to sound excited when a boundary or a 6 goes around. Hardly seems to be any difference between his normal and excited state except the voice only gets louder. I am always hoping that he doesn't appear in any of the matches that I watch.

I think Mark Taylor is a lot better than some of the other people going around.

And I do agree that the Sky commentator team is absolutely wonderful....

Just love the way that David Gower speaks........only one that I don;t like too much on their team is Micheal Holding but even he is better than a lot of other commentators on other channels........Willis, Athers, Nasser, Gower.......top notch team

My favorites are Boycott and Gower. Too bad Boycott doesn't do commentary too often anymore.
So true about Mike Haysman.

Atherton and Nasser are excellent. Willis is a grumpy old git.