Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    I actually had that daunting feeling sitting on the couch watching the cricket tonight - How the **** am I gonna put up with these guys all summer?
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    I actually had that daunting feeling sitting on the couch watching the cricket tonight - How the **** am I gonna put up with these guys all summer?
    Sofa!
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Yeah, will have to investigate this sofa thing, because the 9 guys were terrible tonight. They seem to have been getting worse every year for a while now. So overdue for a cleanout. Fire the current lot as a job lot, apart from Richie and Chappelli who should be kept as the "special comments" guys who don't do the ball-by-ball, but chime in with an observation. People mentioned Bruce Macaveney and bagged him in this thread, but he'd be a massive improvement, even if he doesn't have a cricket background, he at least is professional and meticulous in his preparation - he has his commentating foibles, but he is always across all the details of the people he's commentating on.

EDIT: Taylor might be tolerable as a special comments guy as well.
    Last edited by Matt79; 03-11-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Apart from anything else, 9 needs to get over this "you have to be have been a good Australian player to get a guernsey in the commentary team" fixation - Mark Nicholas aside. ****, throw some money at Gideon Haigh - again, not to do ball-by-ball, but to do some stories and interviews for the coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Apart from anything else, 9 needs to get over this "you have to be have been a good Australian player to get a guernsey in the commentary team" fixation - Mark Nicholas aside. ****, throw some money at Gideon Haigh - again, not to do ball-by-ball, but to do some stories and interviews for the coverage.
    Gideon Haigh makes guest appearances on the Sofa ftr. Exactly value too.

The main issue with this, aside from the obvious problems, is that they're all good mates (in most cases) with the guys out their playing. Get a journalist or someone in there who is ready to say the harsh truths rather than glossing it over with icecream and cherrys on top

And the obvious problems are: they're not good commentators.

Tbf, Nasser and Atherton have had no problems laying into England when necessary.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

And the obvious problems are: they're not good commentators.
    Well yeah clearly. But there's so much wrong with sugar coating Hussey's current situation as under a little bit of pressure that's been relieved by a very scratchy innings.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Tbf, Nasser and Atherton have had no problems laying into England when necessary.
    Bob Willis is better than both at that. His Hamilton 2008 rant is one of my favourites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Yeah but Nasser is a ****, and Atherton is just too awesome a commentator to not do so.

Regarding Atherton though, I don't think I recall him ever coming out and saying he doesn't think a player is good enough. I'm sure he's thought that at times too, but he normally just ends up listing their strengths and what they need to work on. He's an excellent analyst and probably my favourite commentator, but he too is a bit too nice at times IMO.

Do you mean Nasser is a **** as in he's ruthless and doesn't care what his old mates think and says it like it is, or that he's not a good commentator?

Do you mean Nasser is a **** as in he's ruthless and doesn't care what his old mates think and says it like it is, or that he's not a good commentator?
    The first one. ****s generally make good commentators if they know the game well.

Nasser and Atherton are both awesome analysts.

Dravid, Punter and most particularly Sanga should become commentators after they retire. Sanga's articles on his favourite cricketers are fantastic.

Ganguly should do ball-by-ball for Neo, IMO.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Yeah I really hope Sangakkara becomes a commentator. Aakash Chopra's articles have always impressed me as well - I'm not sure what his spoken English is like but his written stuff is excellent so I get the feeling he could make a good commentator too.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information