• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Taylor isn't so flash. Last year in the Boxing Day Test, he kept mentioning how New Zealand were going to improve as a Test team because they had Shane Bond, when unknown to Taylor, that Bond had actually pulled the pin on Test cricket.
Distinctly remember them continuously referring to 32 year old Saeed Ajmal as a 'young spinner,' because obviously if he's only played a handful of games he's a youngster.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I skimmed through and was extremely dissapointed to note that no one dislikes Mark Nicholas. Hyperbole trash that doesn't even make sense 90% of the time and keeps crapping on about how you "sense" things. I'd rather listen to Ian Healy and that is saying something.
There's a whole thread dedicated to hating Mark Nicholas somewhere on CricketWeb from years back.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh:Really?

All I remember of the commentary that ODI series is Tahny Greeg screaming "HE'S FROM JOBURG! DID YOU KNOW HE'S FROM JOBURG?" and Mark Nicholas creaming his pants over McCullum and Guptill's strokes.

And Ian Chappell going "Elliot? Why did they pick him?" the day of his 60 odd against Aus:laugh:
Yeah Lawry said something like "Where's this guy been all summer? He's been a revelation today!" or something, totally ignoring the Test and the other ODI he'd commentated involving him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Lawry said something like "Where's this guy been all summer? He's been a revelation today!" or something, totally ignoring the Test and the other ODI he'd commentated involving him.
Nah but Benchy's right, nothing wrong with C9 team at all :dry:

Most of them know very little about the opposition.

People bag Benaud, but he's still a student of the game. He mentioned that Mathews was a up coming star very early in tonight's call.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Nah but Benchy's right, nothing wrong with C9 team at all :dry:

Most of them know very little about the opposition.

People bag Benaud, but he's still a student of the game. He mentioned that Mathews was a up coming star very early in tonight's call.
Wasnt Mathews the guy who took that blinder of a catch at the 20/20 world cup last year, or whenever the England world cup was on (2007, i dunno)? that crazy one inside/outside/over the boundary? If it was i'm surprised none of the comms mentioned it, especially MN. His big claim to fame before today i'd have thought.

Joao

U19 12th Man
There's a whole thread dedicated to hating Mark Nicholas somewhere on CricketWeb from years back.
Well it should be stickied so that nobody forgets. His commentating could be used by the military as a weapon - assuming it didn't get branded a war crime.

Agree with this. His flowery, lengthy, drawn out descriptions make puppies die.
This.

juro

U19 12th Man
I'll happily turn down the volume and listen to the ABC radio commentary, even if there is a time lag between the radio commentary and the TV picture.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Agree with this. His flowery, lengthy, drawn out descriptions make puppies die.
How to talk like Mark Nicholas.

Step 1. Every player requires an adjective before he is mentioned.

"Nicely hit cover drive from this sumptious batsman"
"Turned down to fine leg by the magificent Ponting"
"Great over from the ever-important Flintoff"

More to come...

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Rich, to his credit, actually got in some half decent quips tonight.

Maybe there's life in the old fossil.

He'd be so easy to smother with a pillow in his sleep.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not a strong start to the season from the commentary team. The same stories, the same pointless discussion (did I seriously listen to two minutes of Mark Taylor discuss his sons HSC exploits?), and the same complete lack of knowledge of the players within the game.

It frustrates me how someone can make a profession as a commentator and appear to have little to no knowledge of some of the players. You could tell this Australian summer is the first time many of the commentators have seen Randiv bowl, and I get the feeling when Tharanga was batting that this was the first time anyone had seen him bat since last time the Sri Lankan's were in Australia. Terrible stuff.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Rich, to his credit, actually got in some half decent quips tonight.

Maybe there's life in the old fossil.

He'd be so easy to smother with a pillow in his sleep.
:laugh: hahah wtf??

Yeah I thought Richie was decent tonight

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sign me up for this thread... Single reason I don't even watch games in Australia these days. Highlights make it so much easier on the ears.. AT least u have an idea of what will be shouted out there.. :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I actually had that daunting feeling sitting on the couch watching the cricket tonight - How the **** am I gonna put up with these guys all summer?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, will have to investigate this sofa thing, because the 9 guys were terrible tonight. They seem to have been getting worse every year for a while now. So overdue for a cleanout. Fire the current lot as a job lot, apart from Richie and Chappelli who should be kept as the "special comments" guys who don't do the ball-by-ball, but chime in with an observation. People mentioned Bruce Macaveney and bagged him in this thread, but he'd be a massive improvement, even if he doesn't have a cricket background, he at least is professional and meticulous in his preparation - he has his commentating foibles, but he is always across all the details of the people he's commentating on.

EDIT: Taylor might be tolerable as a special comments guy as well.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Apart from anything else, 9 needs to get over this "you have to be have been a good Australian player to get a guernsey in the commentary team" fixation - Mark Nicholas aside. ****, throw some money at Gideon Haigh - again, not to do ball-by-ball, but to do some stories and interviews for the coverage.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Apart from anything else, 9 needs to get over this "you have to be have been a good Australian player to get a guernsey in the commentary team" fixation - Mark Nicholas aside. ****, throw some money at Gideon Haigh - again, not to do ball-by-ball, but to do some stories and interviews for the coverage.
Gideon Haigh makes guest appearances on the Sofa ftr. Exactly value too.