Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536
Results 526 to 531 of 531

Thread: The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

  1. #526
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    He's a lefty too isn't he? Breaks up the right handed middle order quite well.
    Yup. I've just realized that Morgan aside, England haven't had a left-handed middle order bat since Graham Thorpe. Checking, The only lefties to play 50+ Tests in the middle order for England are Thorpe, Gower and Wooley.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 07-01-2011 at 05:53 AM.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

  2. #527
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Yup. I've just realized that Morgan aside, England haven't had a left-handed middle order bat since Graham Thorpe.
    Cook and Strauss both batted three a couple of times, and Broad's batted seven. Not to mention the nightwatching of Jimmy Anderson.

    I guess it depends on how you define "middle order batsman" (three and seven could be termed top and lower order respectively), and also how much of a douche I want to be in reply (quite a lot, so it seems).
    ~ Cribbage

    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

  3. #528
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Cook and Strauss both batted three a couple of times, and Broad's batted seven. Not to mention the nightwatching of Jimmy Anderson.

    I guess it depends on how you define "middle order batsman" (three and seven could be termed top and lower order respectively), and also how much of a douche I want to be in reply (quite a lot, so it seems).
    I was commenting on the style of batsman rather than literally where they batted. Even when Strauss bats at three, he's still an opener who happens to be batting at three. #7 isn't really a middle-order spot, 30 years ago it was the start of the tail.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 07-01-2011 at 01:23 PM.

  4. #529
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Cook and Strauss both batted three a couple of times, and Broad's batted seven. Not to mention the nightwatching of Jimmy Anderson.

    I guess it depends on how you define "middle order batsman" (three and seven could be termed top and lower order respectively), and also how much of a douche I want to be in reply (quite a lot, so it seems).
    Wac
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.


  5. #530
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I was commenting on the style of batsman rather than literally where they batted. Even when Strauss bats at three, he's still an opener who happens to be batting at three. #7 isn't really a middle-order spot, 30 years ago it was the start of the tail.
    This series it was the start of our better batsmen, save Hussey.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  6. #531
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Level with Gooch on 8,900
    Posts
    8,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    The only lefties to play 50+ Tests in the middle order for England are Thorpe, Gower and Woolley.
    Wouldn't mind watching that lot batting together tbh

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***Official*** Tendulkar vs Ponting Thread
    By vic_orthdox in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1338
    Last Post: 16-08-2012, 02:08 AM
  2. FAQ & Introduction Thread
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum Cricket Web Tennis
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 20-06-2011, 11:06 AM
  3. Thread Hijacks
    By sledger in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 04:32 PM
  4. Finally ! A Last Word Thread
    By SJS in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 07:42 PM
  5. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •