• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

masterblaster

International Captain
Ian Healy, James Brayshaw, Ian Healy, Mark Nicholas and sadly now Michael Slater are so woeful that I wish they would all get off the television. I know I'm going to get disagreed with here, but Ian Chappell is the only commentator on Channel 9 worth listening to.

I remember a time soon after Michael Slater retired, when he was commentating for Channel 4 in England where he was a fantastic commentator. He bought great knowledge of the game as a successful opening batsman, could relate to the players and what they were going through and bought an energy and excitement that made even slow, one sided days of test cricket compelling.

Now he seems to have turned up the volume so much to pander to the casual cricket watchers and bogans that he seems to have really regressed as a commentator. It's sad as he used to be one of my favourite commentators.

masterblaster

International Captain
I realise now that I mentioned Ian Healy twice. It's okay, he's that bad that he deserves to be mentioned twice.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tony Greig is the worst commentator going around, so many reasons to hate him - his voice, the fact that he's patronising, his stupid ****ing hat, he's a moron.

The other thing that bugs me about C9's team is that whoever's in the box seems to have this urge to constantly be talking, which leads to a lot of crap. C9 are like an annoying girl who doesn't like sitting in silence, so she'll just constantly talk at you, and since there's an infinite amount that is actually interesting, most of the time she'll just annoy you with talking absolute rubbish. The Sky team on the other hand, are comfortable enough that they don't have to fill each and every second with noise and at times are quite comfortable with just sitting there and letting the cricket speak for itself.

Bobisback

International Regular
Cant believe people actually stood up for Richie Benaud. He is horrible, he just mutters on about random **** while the other commentators mutter on about the match. How do these guys even have a job? Are channel 9 that stupid?

Kerry O'Keefe for Channel 9 commentator, imo.

Craig

World Traveller
Mark Taylor isn't so flash. Last year in the Boxing Day Test, he kept mentioning how New Zealand were going to improve as a Test team because they had Shane Bond, when unknown to Taylor, that Bond had actually pulled the pin on Test cricket.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
That's not a surprise though. It seems a lot of commentators certainly don't keep up with cricket news as you'd hope they would and seem to simply not have basic knowledge that just about anyone on CW would have.

Debris

International 12th Man
Mark Taylor isn't so flash. Last year in the Boxing Day Test, he kept mentioning how New Zealand were going to improve as a Test team because they had Shane Bond, when unknown to Taylor, that Bond had actually pulled the pin on Test cricket.
I always give Taylor some slack as he was the best on-field captain I have seen. At least some of that insight has to come through into his commentary, right?

I add my vote to those that want Greig and Lawry gone. I think Lawry is a shattered man since Warne retired - just not the same.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't mind Taylor. He's no Atherton or Nasser, but he's decent enough. Would probably be better with a different commentary team around him.

Also reckon he suffers from having a bad voice.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Commentators in other countries always seem to have their finger on the pulse, our guys have no idea whats happening outside of our summer, been going on for years and years this garbage.

Gotta say, Ian Chappell is the man for me, great commentator. The rest are hopeless. Love Nasser and Athers too on Sky.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ian Chappell is ****ing hopeless. He's my least favourite out of the lot. Such a negative ****.

Outside of Healy and Chappell there's nothing wrong with the channel 9 commentary.

Flem274*

123/5
Commentators in other countries always seem to have their finger on the pulse, our guys have no idea whats happening outside of our summer, been going on for years and years this garbage.

Gotta say, Ian Chappell is the man for me, great commentator. The rest are hopeless. Love Nasser and Athers too on Sky.
Not the case at all tbh. I remember when Grant Elliott made his test debut the commentators had no idea who he was.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not the case at all tbh. I remember when Grant Elliott made his test debut the commentators had no idea who he was.
That's better than Bill Lawry not knowing who he was in the third game he'd featured in of the summer - all of which Lawry commented in, and two of which he was in the box during Elliott's innings for.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ian Chappell is ****ing hopeless. He's my least favourite out of the lot. Such a negative ****.

Outside of Healy and Chappell there's nothing wrong with the channel 9 commentary.
It is when you compare it to Sky though.

Flem274*

123/5
That's better than Bill Lawry not knowing who he was in the third game he'd featured in of the summer - all of which Lawry commented in, and two of which he was in the box during Elliott's innings for.
:laugh:Really?

All I remember of the commentary that ODI series is Tahny Greeg screaming "HE'S FROM JOBURG! DID YOU KNOW HE'S FROM JOBURG?" and Mark Nicholas creaming his pants over McCullum and Guptill's strokes.

And Ian Chappell going "Elliot? Why did they pick him?" the day of his 60 odd against Aus:laugh:

Joao

U19 12th Man
I skimmed through and was extremely dissapointed to note that no one dislikes Mark Nicholas. Hyperbole trash that doesn't even make sense 90% of the time and keeps crapping on about how you "sense" things. I'd rather listen to Ian Healy and that is saying something.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I skimmed through and was extremely dissapointed to note that no one dislikes Mark Nicholas. Hyperbole trash that doesn't even make sense 90% of the time and keeps crapping on about how you "sense" things. I'd rather listen to Ian Healy and that is saying something.
He's not worth getting worked up over.

Bobisback

International Regular
I'm with you, Mark Nicholas is the worst commentator, if not person, in the world. Hate the ****.