• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Something along the lines of : "I made my debut in 1971, played (??) tests at Melbourne, and took over the world record for most test wickets in 1981". Can't remember it word for word, but it was the easiest question they'd had in a long time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Far easier than the one the day before, which was "who was the first sub to take a Test catch?". Burst out laughing when I saw that.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Something along the lines of : "I made my debut in 1971, played (??) tests at Melbourne, and took over the world record for most test wickets in 1981". Can't remember it word for word, but it was the easiest question they'd had in a long time.
Ah, I see. My first thought would probably be Hadlee but the no. of Tests at Melbourne would show wheteher or not it was an Aussie.

Edit: Looked it up and RJH didn't debut until '73.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Question for the English folk, do our comms stay and do the ODIs or will we get the 9 feed?

Craig

World Traveller
Question for the English folk, do our comms stay and do the ODIs or will we get the 9 feed?
Do the Sky Commentators travel to every England away series, or is it only the big away series, like Australia, South Africa, India, and the West Indies? When you lot toured New Zealand a couple of years ago, we had Bumble in the comm box.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think they did that NZ tour in collaboration with the home comms?

And for other series it's often similar. if we use another broadcaster's feed they usually have a couple of our commentators.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I wish we could get the Sky commentary in Australia sometimes, thank god for ABC radio

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Predict how many times the Channel 9 commentary team mention the claim made by Mickey Arthur that Michael Beer would make the South African team

I'm going with 17.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Or Ian Chappell talking about poor techniques, tactics and field placings. None of which EVER happened when he was playing. I'll bet they played with jarrah bats when he was playing as well, with no grips

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wish we could get the Sky commentary in Australia sometimes, thank god for ABC radio
Do any of the Sky guys do a stint in the C9 box?

We get Warne, but he's Sky contracted as well - most series though we tend to get someone in - usually the likes of Ian Smith, Shaun Pollock, Rameez Raja and Tony Cozier.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In the last Ashes in Oz, C9 guys were doing stints in the Sky box, wonder why it hasn't happened.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Bumble suggesting that Hughes' strength was the back foot and he liked it short was a bit cringeworthy then for Sky.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've stayed out of this thread a lot as I think the channel nine hate is OTT on here, but Healy just saying Watson needs to be more aggressive kind of flies in the face of him bemoaning the lack of discipline from the top order after Melbourne.

Just saying.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I've stayed out of this thread a lot as I think the channel nine hate is OTT on here, but Healy just saying Watson needs to be more aggressive kind of flies in the face of him bemoaning the lack of discipline from the top order after Melbourne.

Just saying.
At risk of sounding like a nuffy, it really doesn't appear like Healy has any analytic talents at all. The best I've heard from him all series is the likes of 'if England lose 5 in 5 balls here, they'll be in all sorts of trouble'.

I seem to recall Tubby Taylor taking the pissout of him a couple of years ago, saying some of his suggestions on-field were the most laughable he'd ever heard.