• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
bad call by Tubs imo. Straight to the fieldsman and Taylor is hardly Hussey-like between the wickets

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jeez.. Channel 9 commies are just a bunch of pompous ****s aren't they???? I mean I had a bit of respect for Richie but what was that nonsense he sprouted about "Aussies making their own luck as they have been so lucky today" or something like that??? Haddin inside edges the ball just next to the leg stump and it goes for 4 and you MAKE that sorta luck??? Doesn't matter if the score is 5/15 or 5/350, that is amazingly lucky for the batsman. End of. It is one thing to listen to guys who are just bad, like Neo Cricket, but it is quite another to have listen to people who are bad, biased and pompous ****s... Jeez...

Spark

Global Moderator
Roebuck is outstanding... when he talks about the cricket. Which is why I rate him extremely highly as a radio commentator, but not at all as a columnist.

Jeez.. Channel 9 commies are just a bunch of pompous ****s aren't they???? I mean I had a bit of respect for Richie but what was that nonsense he sprouted about "Aussies making their own luck as they have been so lucky today" or something like that??? Haddin inside edges the ball just next to the leg stump and it goes for 4 and you MAKE that sorta luck??? Doesn't matter if the score is 5/15 or 5/350, that is amazingly lucky for the batsman. End of. It is one thing to listen to guys who are just bad, like Neo Cricket, but it is quite another to have listen to people who are bad, biased and pompous ****s... Jeez...
Nah he's spot on. The aggressive counterattack from Haddin is a perfect example of making your own luck, as was England dropping those catches. For whatever reason, luck falls with the side who is taking the initiative quite often and that's what Haddin did.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You weren't sure who Mark Cosgrove played for, and he's played for Australia.

Given that more than likely Panesar won't be featured in the tests, and the fact Lawry is a ball by ball commentator, not sure how much of a big deal it is.

We'd all love everyone to know everything, but who cares if they don't. Seems like people just want the opportunity to say they know more about cricket than the commentators.
As if Lawry doesn't pretend to analyse the game. Being ball-by-ball isn't a defence for not knowing anything about international cricketers who are visiting the country. Go on Cricinfo for 5 minutes. It's the least a professional can do.

Edit: This isn't in reference to the Panesar example, but in general your defence for Lawry not knowing his stuff. If he didn't make completely inaccurate comments than maybe it wouldn't be an issue. But he does.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
As if Lawry doesn't pretend to analyse the game. Being ball-by-ball isn't a defence for not knowing anything about international cricketers who are visiting the country. Go on Cricinfo for 5 minutes. It's the least a professional can do.

Edit: This isn't in reference to the Panesar example, but in general your defence for Lawry not knowing his stuff. If he didn't make completely inaccurate comments than maybe it wouldn't be an issue. But he does.
umm what? Lawry always talks about the importance of getting it to spin or turn a fraction on a good line and length. How can that be wrong?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm assuming you're making a joke about the fact that Lawry always says the same thing/tired cliches, and hence is a poor commentator for that.

Debris

International 12th Man
It was so good being at the ground yesterday. I didn't have to listen to the commentary team. :)
Didn't buy one of the earpieces then. I laughed yesterday when they were trying to convince people their commentary was better than ABC radio for people at the ground.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Yeah that is insane, the best thing about going to the cricket apart from watching is listening to real time ABC commentary.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
AND THAT IS WHY LAWRY IS ****!

Strauss top edges it and the first thing he says is "OUT"

I was out of the room thinking there's been a wicket, I ran back in and then he says "Should be out, could be out"

And then the ball lands a good 5 metres away from the fielder.

Go **** yourself Lawry.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
AND THAT IS WHY LAWRY IS ****!

Strauss top edges it and the first thing he says is "OUT"

I was out of the room thinking there's been a wicket, I ran back in and then he says "Should be out, could be out"

And then the ball lands a good 5 metres away from the fielder.

Go **** yourself Lawry.
Very funny impression of Lawry by Warne in the Sky box this morning, getting excited about Siddle being Victorian.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slater: "Cook has now scored more runs in this innings than than he did in the whole 2006/07 Ashes"
Mar Taylor not 5 seconds later: "Bit of a stat for you....Cook has now scored more runs in this innings than than he did in the whole 2006/07 Ashes"

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Having a day off work I have been catching up with reading online. One good thing I can say about the Channel 9 commentary is that it compares favourably to other forms of Australian cricket journalism available online.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
ABC radio commentary is so far ahead of channel 9 its ridiculous.
Agreed. The sound of summer for me is not the Channel 9 crew but listening to Maxwell and the team on ABC. A good mix of commentators that always cover all aspects of the game well (good interviews, comedy, ability to criticise the Australian team), they are so far beyond the television coverage in terms of quality.