• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

howardj

International Coach
I

Like the little bits of Gilly I've heard too; clearly a clever guy and still palpably in love with the sport.
Agree - thoughtful, considered and funny.

Dream Team - The Thinking Man's Box
Athers
Hussain
Gilchrist
Tim Lane
Bumble
Damein Fleming

I find Slater, Blewett, and Greig far better commentators, more thoughtful and analytical when they were on the English airwaves. They go back into autopilot and speak a bit of **** to Aussie audiences.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bruce McAveny rates Tim Lane the best all round sports commentator in Australia iirc.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ian Healy notes that there hasn't been too many runs scored down the ground, and says that England need to bowl there more often. Might be the fact that the pitch is green as, making it difficult to drive, and they've nicked off four blokes and had us 5/60, reckon they've probably bowled OK.

howardj

International Coach
Chappell and Slats were good in that patch, talking about grips and how to bat in these sort of conditions.
Respect Chappelli heaps as a commentator. He always at least tries to be analytical and not just tell you the obvious which you can already see on your screen.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've thought that a lot of the commentary today has actually been quite decent. Except for when Tubby was talking about Steve Smith.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've just heard that Nick Cook is batting.

Am I grossly misinformed about England's selection policy? Or is Phil Tufnell in the squad too?

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Chappell aside, do any of the 9 team watch cricket in the off-season? Bout as up on international cricket as IT Botham.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Chappell aside, do any of the 9 team watch cricket in the off-season? Bout as up on international cricket as IT Botham.
still remember Tubby bigging up Bond's comeback when he had announced test match retirement the previous day.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I've thought that a lot of the commentary today has actually been quite decent. Except for when Tubby was talking about Steve Smith.
Agree. I even thought Bill Lawry was passable today. He's obviously never seen any of these guys play (usual non-existent preparation...), but some of his first reactions to their different styles and techniques were pretty good. Don't know how long he can keep it up for though...

And there was some good humour too: Nicholas baiting Lawry and Greig. Slats bagging Heals about how he'd need to start growing a moustache this November to be ready for Mo-vember next year. Heals bagging Tubby about Taylor Swift. Bill Lawry's call when Ian Bell dropped O'Keefe made me laugh to, something like "Ian Bell, ding dong - that was a sitter!"

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm going to go with no. They don't watch domestic cricket either. It's terrible. I could probably understand one or the other - having them either decide to follow cricket on the world stage so they were knowledgeable about touring teams, or just focusing on Australian cricket so they can fill viewers in on new players when they come into the team, but they do neither. I disagree with Chappell's cricketing theories in a huge way but he backs them all up, knows what he's talking about and makes me challenge my own beliefs. I used to hate him but I really respect him now.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
My favourite from today was Lawry describing Okeefe edging just over third slip to a full-ish wide one as a well executed and intentional uppercut.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"That game really cost them"

- Tubby on the impacts of the 5th test of the 2009 Ashes series. Such expert commentary.