• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the channel 9 guys will be making appearances in our commentary box. Seem to remember it happened last time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah and v-v. I remember Gower, at least, and possibly Atherton + Bumble making an appearance in the C9 box as well.

Pretty sure everyone commentates from the same room or next door so it shouldn't too difficult to organise.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah and v-v. I remember Gower, at least, and possibly Atherton + Bumble making an appearance in the C9 box as well.

Pretty sure everyone commentates from the same room or next door so it shouldn't too difficult to organise.
True :)

howardj

International Coach
Bill will be commentating the whole summer on auto-pilot and will just be wheeled into whatever box has a vacancy at the time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Pretty sure Botham won't make his way into Channel Nine.

chalky

International Debutant
Remember on the 99 tour when Botham & Chappelli commentated together for 1 segment cue lots of uncomfortable silences and no interaction what so ever between the two. Didn't know about their history at time just thought something was a bit odd but read a few days later that a producer had screwed up the commentator rota and they were definately not supposed to commentate together.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did someone bag Geoff Lawson? The guy is one of the best cricket commentators out there. Knows his ****, says it like it is, and yet never comes off as harsh or annoying.
Yeah he knows what he's on about and is quite good in that sense, but he's just woeful on the radio. Would be much more suited to TV imho, where he wouldn't have to talk as much, and could just stick to cricket (and thus not bore everyone to tear with his very non-radio voice)

Re: Harsha Bhogle, is so good on the radio because he can just talk. Is especially good in combo with Skull, and even Roebuck for mine.

Of the Ch9 guys, Healy/Greig/Lawry are by far the worst. Don't mind the rest

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Botham was commentating for 9 for the whole 98/99 Ashes, apparently Chappelli refused to do ANY stints with him. Though i do remember a short one that didnt go so well.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Will move this into the Ashes sub-forum when the time is appropriate.

Slats currently talking about his gym routine and the type of heart rate monitor he uses.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I had given up on the Channel 9 commentary team ages ago...

I am starting to think its an Australian thing..I might be wrong..but over the last few years...I think its the Australian commentators who talk mostly crap...Yeah other commentators can be bad too but for different reasons like Gavaskar is biased when it comes to Tendulkar..but people like Warne, Slater, Taylor, Healy just keep on talking crap...I will never forget when during the second test match between Pakistan and Australia and Pakistan were 30 runs short with 3 wickets in hand and Warne started to talk about Bollinger's dad... :-O

Spark

Global Moderator
Warne's good IMO. Very sharp and honest. Gets distracted easily, but that's because it's Shane Warne.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well when he is analysing the game..he is very intelligent and that is not surprising..he was one of the most intelligent cricketers..but more often than not I find him talking crap rather than analysing the game which is what he is supposed to do..as you said, he gets distracted too easily..

Spark

Global Moderator
What's everyone think of Greg Blewett btw? Not heard him much but been reasonably impressed when I have.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What's everyone think of Greg Blewett btw? Not heard him much but been reasonably impressed when I have.
I'm a fan. He filled in for Warne on Sky in 09 when the latter was playing poker and was thoughtful and considered without being too bland.

Like the little bits of Gilly I've heard too; clearly a clever guy and still palpably in love with the sport.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's done heaps of domestic one dayers for Fox Sports and, like the whole Fox Sports team in general, is quite good.