Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who will win the series?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • England

22 29.73%
  • Draw (England retain Ashes by virtue of hammering the filth in 09)

9 12.16%
  • Australia

43 58.11%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Who's gonna win?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    First thing first, England don't tour much, and whenever they do, they don't perform that well.
    The South African tour wasn't a horrible one, but it was hardly a success, and if Poms put up a similar show in Oz, they won't have a certain Mr.Onions to save 'em!!
    You guys would have lost 3-1, had it not been for Onions heroics with the bat, he isn't around this time, and from the looks of it, Panesar too won't be in the XI for repeat of Cardiff.

1. We play two away series every winter aside from Ashes years, in addition to any extra T20/ODI series
    2. South Africa was a success as we drew the series and won one test by an innings. A year earlier we'd have been tonked there
    3. Onions batted out a few overs, yes. Paul Collingwood and Ian Bell had nothing to do with either draw, of course
    4. Ifs and buts, who gives a ****?

Just pure nonsense from you in the last few days. Get a clue what you're talking about please.
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    'course not. But as I said, you can't rely on it on a regular basis.
    Sign of a good side though is one who can save games that look lost and one that finishes off games they are on top in.At present we have the knack of doing both.Do the Aussies?

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Sign of a good side though is one who can save games that look lost and one that finishes off games they are on top in.At present we have the knack of doing both.Do the Aussies?
    For the former, Mohali and Melbourne say nay.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post

1. We play two away series every winter aside from Ashes years, in addition to any extra T20/ODI series
    2. South Africa was a success as we drew the series and won one test by an innings. A year earlier we'd have been tonked there
    3. Onions batted out a few overs, yes. Paul Collingwood and Ian Bell had nothing to do with either draw, of course
    4. Ifs and buts, who gives a ****?

Just pure nonsense from you in the last few days. Get a clue what you're talking about please.
    Haha, ok gotta admit for some reason, felt that England has not been on many test tours in recent times, so I retract that statement of mine...
    Though... they have been poor away from home, that's one fact that there is no shying away from...
    As for you calling the South African tour a success, don't know how you can term a tour as a successful one(past performances notwithstanding,) where despite your team having thumped the Proteas to an innings defeat in the 1st test, then went onto squander that advantage as the series progressed.

As for you calling the South African tour a success, don't know how you can term a tour as a successful one(past performances notwithstanding,) where despite your team having thumped the Proteas to an innings defeat in the 1st test, then went onto squander that advantage as the series progressed.
    I'd call drawing a test series against possibly the best Test team in the world as being a success. I'd of taken a 1-0 defeat before the series had started let alone a 1-1 scoreline come the end of the tour. And we won them in the ODIs 2-1.

Hell of a successful tour all together tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Themer View Post
    I'd call drawing a test series against possibly the best Test team in the world as being a success. I'd of taken a 1-0 defeat before the series had started let alone a 1-1 scoreline come the end of the tour. And we won them in the ODIs 2-1.

Hell of a successful tour all together tbh.
    Beating Saffas in their own backyard is tough, but it ain't no impossible feat or something. Teams like India, Pakistan, West Indies, Australia and England all have won test matches against the Proteas at home in recent times, and that too pretty comprehensively.
    Don't know how you can rate South Africans as the best test team in the world, when they aren't impregnable even when playing at home.

We didn't win the first Test

Obviously it would have been nice to win having gone into the final game one up...but when Onions survived the last ball in the third test, I, and all England fans, were delighted because it meant we would not lose the series, which, yes, is a success given that they had beaten us at home the year before.

I suppose it won't be a success if we draw this series either. After all, SA are a better side than the filth...

Beating Saffas in their own backyard is tough, but it ain't no impossible feat or something. Teams like India, Pakistan, West Indies, Australia and England all have won test matches against the Proteas at home in recent times, and that too pretty comprehensively.
    Don't know how you can rate South Africans as the best test team in the world, when they aren't impregnable even when playing at home.
    No one said it was an impossible task. But to come away with a win, and not lose the series, is a significant achievement.

South Africa were #1 in the world when they started the tour, Australia having slipped down to #4 when they lost the Ashes and India having not yet gained the top spot (granted, it didn't last long).

So to draw the series, including an innings win, against a better side away from home, coupled with an ODI series victory makes a successful if not perfect tour.

Still believe that England's a fairly mediocre side that had a couple of golden patches. They haven't lost a series in nearly 2 years, tho.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    That's a good point, and that's why you're #4 and we're #5 despite us having, I believe, a stronger team on paper even with two-and-a-half deadweights.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Still believe that England's a fairly mediocre side that had a couple of golden patches. They haven't lost a series in nearly 2 years, tho.
    The fact that the last series they lost was the series that changed the coach & captain and make significant long-term selection calls suggests that the new, successful England is more than just a purple patch.

I still think it'll be very difficult for them to win down under - and a drawn series to retain the urn would be good. But they are just as good as Australia now, and have the best chance they've had since I've been alive.

Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    I think they're a pretty good side that has had patches of underachievement, myself. I still don't think they'll be particularly well-suited to Australian conditions but that's no huge slight on them. The top five teams honestly are fairly interchangeable IMO and unless we see personnel changes in those five teams, series between them will largely come down to HGA and form.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 10-11-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    The fact that the last series they lost was the series that changed the coach & captain and make significant long-term selection calls suggests that the new, successful England is more than just a purple patch.

I still think it'll be very difficult for them to win down under - and a drawn series to retain the urn would be good. But they are just as good as Australia now, and have the best chance they've had since I've been alive.
    Weren't the changes made after the tour to India and before the one to WI, which they lost?

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Weren't the changes made after the tour to India and before the one to WI, which they lost?
    Ah yes, true. Though the general point I was making is that all these things happened around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    All the furore came about a fortnight before we left for the WI. Flower and Strauss were both placed in interim roles for that series.

They were given the jobs permanently afterwards and haven't lost a Test series since.

Basically you're right, kind of!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information