• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's gonna win?

Who will win the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australian victory the most likely outcome but England have quite a lot going for them imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Australia are getting very under-rated very quickly. People are forgetting how good they are in home conditions. I'm pretty much neutral as to who I'm supporting these days but I'm definitely tipping Australia. It won't be a blowout of 2006/07 proportions but it will be pretty comfortable IMO.
Nah, you're overrating them. They are a bunch of average cricketers who wouldn't make the Aigburth thirds, barring Clarke who'd get a run in the England Lions squad. They only squeezed past Pakistan and the West Indies, and let's face it, one of them is questionable. Don't let the name fool you, Australia are ****ing **** and quite frankly it's a joke that we even have to play five Tests against such poor opposition. They aren't even ranked in the top four FFS!!!

:ph34r:

Uppercut

Been so long since one, I think that we're due a drawn series.
A draw's very unlikely in a five-match series. There are much fewer combinations of results that end up in a drawn series than there are that end with a victory for either side.

Teja.

Global Moderator
England's pace attack is **** in Aussie conditions and it is incredibly hard to succeed as a spinner in Australia, however good Swanneh is. The fact that the Australian bowling attack could be competitive against an awesome Indian batting line-up shows how very good they are. Paris Hilton winning the Nobel Peace Prize is a likelier event than England defending the Ashes.

vcs

England's pace attack is **** in Aussie conditions and it is incredibly hard to succeed as a spinner in Australia, however good Swanneh is. The fact that the Australian bowling attack could be competitive against an awesome Indian batting line-up shows how very good they are. Paris Hilton winning the Nobel Peace Prize is a likelier event than England defending the Ashes.
:laugh::laugh:

Tempted to sig that. I'll be cheering for Australia as usual but just in case the unthinkable happens.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Nobel Peace Prize is a joke now a days.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
England's pace attack is **** in Aussie conditions
With respect, Teja, it's bit premature to write them off just yet. Remember, only one of them (Jimmy) has ever played a Test in Australia. Given their natural abilities, the others (Finn, Tremlett, Broad) might be quite well suited to the conditions.

Anyway, we shall see........................

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:
FMD.

Actually what I mean to say is - you're right. Our entire pace attack has horrid records in Australia, every single one of them has gone there and failed as the same bowler they are today. It's not like Jimmeh's the only one who has played there and did so whilst raw, under prepared and returning from injury.
Spin bowling's been difficult most places for years now, I mean South Africa's not exactly renowned for producing bunsens and Swann had a shocker of a series there.

Frankly you're chatting crap.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
A draw's very unlikely in a five-match series. There are much fewer combinations of results that end up in a drawn series than there are that end with a victory for either side.
I heard that it is due to be quiet wet compared to usual in Australia this year. If that is true then there may be a chance of getting a drawn series. I would be very surprised if it happened but is probably the best chance for a while in Australia.

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
With respect, Teja, it's bit premature to write them off just yet. Remember, only one of them (Jimmy) has ever played a Test in Australia. Given their natural abilities, the others (Finn, Tremlett, Broad) might be quite well suited to the conditions.

I can really see Finn playing a critical role for England, with his height he could be seriously dangerous.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

That's the reason this Ashes is going to be different. No denying that Aussies are very good at home but Broad and Finn could be threats because of the pace and bounce they might get from Aussie wickets.

I personally think about it this way. Asif and Amir were pretty darn good in Australia and James, Broad and Finn make an equally, if not better combination of bowling, so it is possible that Australian batsmen might struggle.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The key question to ask is, who is the better team?

I believe it's England.

Are we better by enough to counter Australian conditions? Given how untested the bowlers are in Australia, it's hard for me to say. But I am confident in them. The batsmen are more of a concern than the attack for me, but I just have a feeling that Pietersen will have his best ever series.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha.. Why are you supporting England? You're a disgrace to the Scottish race mate.
Pretty sure I've explained this before - if I was a Test standard cricketer then England would be the team I'd be representing. I don't see any contradiction in supporting England despite being Scottish - at cricket anyway.

Both appear to be ginger too!
Nah, I've used this as an internet handle since I was about 16 and one of my mates called me a "ginger furball" when he was giving me some abuse. I thought it would make a good internet name and it's stuck ever since.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The key question to ask is, who is the better team?

I believe it's England.

Are we better by enough to counter Australian conditions? Given how untested the bowlers are in Australia, it's hard for me to say. But I am confident in them. The batsmen are more of a concern than the attack for me, but I just have a feeling that Pietersen will have his best ever series.
Really GIMH? Thanks for clearing that up. Never knew.

We're done for now that he's made his unbiased summary

Last edited:

Burgey

Pretty sure I've explained this before - if I was a Test standard cricketer then England would be the team I'd be representing. I don't see any contradiction in supporting England despite being Scottish - at cricket anyway.

Nah, I've used this as an internet handle since I was about 16 and one of my mates called me a "ginger furball" when he was giving me some abuse. I thought it would make a good internet name and it's stuck ever since.
Sorry I wasn't avidly jotting down every point you've made in every post, ****. :ph34r:

Well actually, I could have played cricket for England, as my father was born there. I mean I'd never have been good enough to play for Australia, but given England's predilection for giving a test cap to anyone from overseas who knows which end of a bat to hold, I should have done it.

Would've run Atherton out, Hussain too - a lot.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Looking back, that was a pretty crappy post.

Still believe England will get hammered though.