• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This is nice; our second string who haven't played in two months have managed to skittle a batting line up that included Khawaja and Ferguson, whom I could have sworn were Chappell and Bradman reincarnate and should have played 30 Tests apiece by now.

I've never been able to say this, but I think that if we play to the best of our abilities, then we will win the series. We won't be relying on Aussie underperformance. We won't be relying on luck and weather. Everything appears to be in complete control in the camp right now: roll on Brisbane.

Woodster

International Captain
This is nice; our second string who haven't played in two months have managed to skittle a batting line up that included Khawaja and Ferguson, whom I could have sworn were Chappell and Bradman reincarnate and should have played 30 Tests apiece by now.

I've never been able to say this, but I think that if we play to the best of our abilities, then we will win the series. We won't be relying on Aussie underperformance. We won't be relying on luck and weather. Everything appears to be in complete control in the camp right now: roll on Brisbane.
I agree Neil, for a very nice change if we play to our capabilities we'll win the series, we are not reliant on Australia quite being at their best, etc. That's not to say we'll win it at a canter, in fact I'm still very nervous about the outcome, but if we perform how we can, we should be ok.

Ruckus

International Captain
Don't be getting too confidence here Poms ;)

It remains a fact that if Australia (especially the batsman) actually perform to their potential we have the better side. We have three potential 50+ average batsman in Clarke, Hussey and Ponting, and Katich who has a FC average of well over 50 and is still growing as a test batsmen. Then there is Watson who average is climbing with every series. I believe even North has been underpeforming.

If our side can finally click in unison, it will be a very tough battle for the English. However, all of that being said, if our team fails to work as a unit again, it could well be a cakewalk. That's what is so great about this upcoming series - so much is uncertain, and so many different results are conceivable.

Woodster

International Captain
Don't be getting too confidence here Poms ;)

It remains a fact that if Australia (especially the batsman) actually perform to their potential we have the better side. We have three potential 50+ average batsman in Clarke, Hussey and Ponting, and Katich who has a FC average of well over 50 and is still growing as a test batsmen. Then there is Watson who average is climbing with every series. I believe even North has been underpeforming.

If our side can finally click in unison, it will be a very tough battle for the English. However, all of that being said, if our team fails to work as a unit again, it could well be a cakewalk. That's what is so great about this upcoming series - so much is uncertain, and so many different results are conceivable.
Not getting too confident at all, but we are no longer relying on Australia being way below their potential to stand a chance of winning the series. If we perform to our capabilities, we should win the series.

You've got to question whether Ponting and Hussey are still in their prime. I'm not suggesting they're incapable of putting in good series', but surely they're not the players they were. Watson's done very well in a short space of time, we've a couple of openers that have been more consistent over a longer period of time, so we won't worry too much there.

It will be a tough battle regardless, and I certainly don't envisage a cakewalk for either side.

Woodster

International Captain
Honestly, I do not agree. I think the teams are extremely evenly matched and that, in Australian conditions, Australia should win should both teams play to their capabilities.
Conditions doesn't matter if we play to our full potential. Honestly, I do think if we play as we can do, we'll win. The players in the England side are approaching their peak, where as in the Aussie side they are the wrong side of their best. Similar could be said of the Aussie side in the last series in Oz, but they had a serious score to settle and were conceivably one of the best Test sides ever.

There is no doubt these are two very closely matched sides, just think we have the edge.

Woodster

International Captain
Haha, DWTA so much.
Think about it. I'm not suggesting conditions do not matter, if we play at our best, it doesn't matter where we're playing if I believe we're better than the other side, we could be playing on the moon!

Conditions will play a major part, it's whether we can adjust to them. If we can, it will play a major part in whether we can play at our best.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
To play to our best we have to overcome conditions, right ? But I'm saying if we do play to our best, we have already overcome conditions. Perhaps a little cryptic, and maybe I'm not getting across what I mean too clearly. Think I'll probably go to bed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think about it. I'm not suggesting conditions do not matter, if we play at our best, it doesn't matter where we're playing if I believe we're better than the other side, we could be playing on the moon!

Conditions will play a major part, it's whether we can adjust to them. If we can, it will play a major part in whether we can play at our best.
The conditions limit what your best actually is though. It's not a mind over matter thing - they legitimately suit some players' techniques and styles more than others. Johnson's best in England and Johnson's best in Australia are not the same thing.

Ruckus

International Captain
Honestly, I do not agree. I think the teams are extremely evenly matched and that, in Australian conditions, Australia should win should both teams play to their capabilities.
I would tend to agree with that, however it's pretty hard to define what 'capabilities' actually means. E.g. can you use Hussey's career average of around 50 to say that is what he is capable of? Or perhaps he is literally no longer capable of playing at such a level - so maybe Hussey's peak is now as a 40 average batsmen? It's pretty hard to define with players like Hussey and Ponting who may or may not be able to play at such a high level anymore. However, even if you assume Ponting and Hussey etc. are now 40-45 average batsman (which is being pretty harsh), I still think that makes the Australian line-up on par or better than the English. Afterall, the English line up only has one 50 average batsmen in Pietersen, and the rest average low to mid 40's anyway.

Woodster

International Captain
The conditions limit what your best actually is though. It's not a mind over matter thing - they legitimately suit some players' techniques and styles more than others. Johnson's best in England and Johnson's best in Australia are not the same thing.
The conditions do, I agree, and if we overcome conditions there's a chance we can play to our best standards. And as I said if we do play to our best, I believe we will win. It's a very simple concept, but one I understand you don't subscribe to, that's fair enough.

There are many nuances within 'playing to your capabilites', and I ain't going into it now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I would tend to agree with that, however it's pretty hard to define what 'capabilities' actually means. E.g. can you use Hussey's career average of around 50 to say that is what he is capable of? Or perhaps he is literally no longer capable of playing at such a level - so maybe Hussey's peak is now as a 40 average batsmen? It's pretty hard to define with players like Hussey and Ponting who may or may not be able to play at such a high level anymore. However, even if you assume Ponting and Hussey etc. are now 40-45 average batsman (which is being pretty harsh), I still think that makes the Australian line-up on par or better than the English. Afterall, the English line up only has one 50 average batsmen in Pietersen, and the rest average low to mid 40's anyway.
Rather than complicating it, I'll just say that I think Australia have the better team for the conditions and should be slight favourites.

Spark

Global Moderator
At their full potential, I would say the openers are evenly matched.

The middle order is where it becomes lopsided though. At their full potential a middle order of Ponting/Clarke/Hussey at home will average miles in excess of 80 each. In fact at full potential you'd say they could easily score 700+ runs in the series, each. It's worth remembering that this three were the key to the 06-07 win in that all three of them scored a huge amount of runs (in the live tests), one after the other.

And people forget that at full potential, Johnson at home is quite probably the most dangerous bowler a batsman will ever face in his career, by quite some distance. Pace, bounce, control, and vicious late swing.

Last edited: