Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1711

Thread: *Official* Tour Matches

  1. #61
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,107
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Are you basing this on 15 overs of a warm-up game? Please...
    Partly? Are you saying Swann isn't trying to bowl well and get mediocre batsmen out?

  2. #62
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,204
    He's saying its not unlikely for bowlers to have a bad game, he's bowled 15 overs for 50 odd. It's not like he's getting absolutely belted out of the attack and you're forgetting that he's had a thumb injury recently. On his bowling hand I think.

  3. #63
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    10,474
    Happy enough,opening day of a tour and done fine so far.Yes Swann hasn't been at his best but he has the 2nd innings and another game or so to get into his groove.Broad is going to be a big hit this series i reckon,far more of a danger than Anderson anyway.

    Should be looking to bowl them out for less than 250 which is a good effort,then need to get a good day and a bit in the middle batting.

  4. #64
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    He's saying its not unlikely for bowlers to have a bad game, he's bowled 15 overs for 50 odd. It's not like he's getting absolutely belted out of the attack and you're forgetting that he's had a thumb injury recently. On his bowling hand I think.
    Oh yeh I had forgotten about the 'thumb injury', but if he is being bowled just as much as anyone else then I assume it is not causing him problems. But anyway he has no wickets plus the worst economy, and considering the dire circumstances WA were/are in, I would say then he is getting punished.

    But as you said, you can have a bad game. However, I think Swann will have a poor tour for more than just this tour game. His reputation has been overhyped in recent times because of exceptional performances against the weak batting of Pakistan and Bangladesh. He will be bowling against good batsmen on pitches which are not optimal for spin. Put two and two together. Swann is probably the spin bowler in the world at the moment, but he still isn't THAT good.


  5. #65
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    10,474
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    But as you said, you can have a bad game. However, I think Swann will have a poor tour for more than just this tour game. His reputation has been overhyped in recent times because of exceptional performances against the weak batting of Pakistan and Bangladesh. He will be bowling against good batsmen on pitches which are not optimal for spin. Put two and two together. Swann is probably the spin bowler in the world at the moment, but he still isn't THAT good.
    And Bollinger hasn't been hyped up by the Aussies despite only doing well against Pakistan,WI and NZ?

    He is the one who will be found out.

  6. #66
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,107
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    And Bollinger hasn't been hyped up by the Aussies despite only doing well against Pakistan,WI and NZ?

    He is the one who will be found out.
    No because Australian conditions suit Bollinger's bowling the most - he thrives when there is good bounce. Plus he was successful in India as well (avg. 16.20).

  7. #67
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    31,300
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    And Bollinger hasn't been hyped up by the Aussies despite only doing well against Pakistan,WI and NZ?

    He is the one who will be found out.
    Nah, he loves bounce. Even more than Johnson. His entire bowling philosophy is short of a length, get good bounce.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  8. #68
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,472
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Oh yeh I had forgotten about the 'thumb injury', but if he is being bowled just as much as anyone else then I assume it is not causing him problems. But anyway he has no wickets plus the worst economy, and considering the dire circumstances WA were/are in, I would say then he is getting punished.

    But as you said, you can have a bad game. However, I think Swann will have a poor tour for more than just this tour game. His reputation has been overhyped in recent times because of exceptional performances against the weak batting of Pakistan and Bangladesh. He will be bowling against good batsmen on pitches which are not optimal for spin. Put two and two together. Swann is probably the spin bowler in the world at the moment, but he still isn't THAT good.
    Unfortunately Swann cannot bowl exceptionally well in every innings he bowls in, but it will not matter if he takes 1-100 in this innings, it will do nothing to affect his natural self-confidence. Pretty sure the thumb is fine. It's not that he won't be trying to bowl well, but there are times when players don't reach their optimum performance levels in such low key games than the standard they can maintain in Test matches. Not saying this is the case for Swann today, he may just not have bowled too well, but it does happen.

    To suggest he is overhyped is naturally your own observation, however, I wonder how much of him you have seen to draw you to that conclusion. Swann, as you say, is currently the best spin bowler in the world, who gives the ball a big rip and gets some appreciable drift, and is a clever bowler too. I'm not saying he's going to take 30 wickets in the series, but he will be a constant threat to the Aussie batsmen.

  9. #69
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Unfortunately Swann cannot bowl exceptionally well in every innings he bowls in, but it will not matter if he takes 1-100 in this innings, it will do nothing to affect his natural self-confidence. Pretty sure the thumb is fine. It's not that he won't be trying to bowl well, but there are times when players don't reach their optimum performance levels in such low key games than the standard they can maintain in Test matches. Not saying this is the case for Swann today, he may just not have bowled too well, but it does happen.

    To suggest he is overhyped is naturally your own observation, however, I wonder how much of him you have seen to draw you to that conclusion. Swann, as you say, is currently the best spin bowler in the world, who gives the ball a big rip and gets some appreciable drift, and is a clever bowler too. I'm not saying he's going to take 30 wickets in the series, but he will be a constant threat to the Aussie batsmen.
    I've seen plenty of Swann. The fact that he is probably the best spin bowler in the world though should not be taken on face value. There is a distinct lack of good spinners at the moment. The best evidence I think there is for Swann not being as great as some people make out, is the fact that in the last Ashes series Hauritz was practically on par with him. And Hauritz, as we all know now, is not an exceptional spin bowler.

  10. #70
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,035
    Just saw a few highlights on Sky

    Marcus North slashed a widish short ball to about fourth slip

    Pretty poor shot to an innocuous delivery from Broad so the pattern continues from last series

    On Swann, it's been shown ad infinitum that finger spinners struggle in Oz and I dont see how he'll be any different apart from late Adelaide, maybe Sydney and brain implosions from the Aussies so today isnt that unexpected really

  11. #71
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    10,474
    Swann has improved since then though that is the point we are making.He is a different animal now to the one who was overawed in the ashes in 09.He still helped win a couple of matches in that series though which is more than Hauritz did when the chips were down.I seem to remember at Cardiff Hauritz bottled it bigtime on the last day.

    Social,you say Swann will only be a danger at Adelaide or Sydney.That'll do,he wins us those 2 matches and we should at least retain the urn.
    Last edited by flibbertyjibber; 05-11-2010 at 03:14 AM.

  12. #72
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    10,474
    Interesting listening to the 2 Perth guys talking about Ramprakash and pondering whether he was harshly treated by England.

    The two biggest letdowns in English cricket since i have been watching are Ramprakash and Chris Lewis,both immensely talented but neither had it mentally to perform at the highest level.

  13. #73
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,472
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    I've seen plenty of Swann. The fact that he is probably the best spin bowler in the world though should not be taken on face value. There is a distinct lack of good spinners at the moment. The best evidence I think there is for Swann not being as great as some people make out, is the fact that in the last Ashes series Hauritz was practically on par with him. And Hauritz, as we all know now, is not an exceptional spin bowler.
    I don't think Hauritz is the worst to be fair, and there wasn't too much between them in the last Ashes, but I think it's widely recognised there is quite a gulf in class between the two. Swann was excellent in South Africa, the 2nd best team in the world, on pitches you would expect to favour seam bowling rather than spin. The extra bounce of the Aussie tracks will also help Swann.

    There is a lack of top spinners around, but we have been spoiled in recent times with Warne, Murali, Saqlain, Mushtaq, Harbhajan, Kumble, etc. There's nothing Swann can do about there not being great competition around, but he wouldn't be out of place sharing a ground with those players.

  14. #74
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    10,474
    So 242-8 dec then

    A tricky few overs tonight for the openers but a good workout for the bowlers today.

  15. #75
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    62
    WA declared 8/242, and Swann took his first wicket late. Pretty poor figures all round though, Broad aside.

    And yes, Swann is (comfortably) the best spinner in the world. No question about that. I think he'll go okay down under, and hey, should he not, we can go away comfortable in knowing that far better offies than him have traveled there and been smashed. It's not easy to get it done down there.

Page 5 of 115 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tour Diary of a Roving reporter : Barbados Test
    By gvenkat in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 09:11 PM
  2. Replies: 104
    Last Post: 24-04-2010, 12:56 AM
  3. australia cancels bangladesh tour
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 25-12-2009, 01:36 AM
  4. NZ players allowed to skip tour matches in England
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-03-2008, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •