• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

TumTum

Banned
See him, Hazelwood, Starc and Pattinson jr, forming the core of Oz test attack for the future.
Wasn't that impressed by Starc, if he develops consistent swing than it would be good.

Hazlewood looks sweet though, he was getting the ball to do almost everything in the U19 WC. McGrath like accuracy as well. Shame he hasn't been getting the FC results. Same story for Mitchell Marsh, looks a talented kid but isn't getting the results :(

Ruckus

International Captain
Wasn't that impressed by Starc, if he develops consistent swing than it would be good.

Hazlewood looks sweet though, he was getting the ball to do almost everything in the U19 WC. McGrath like accuracy as well. Shame he hasn't been getting the FC results. Same story for Mitchell Marsh, looks a talented kid but isn't getting the results :(
I wasn't that impressed by Hazlewood in his debut ODI. Don't know if that wasn't representative of his usual performances, but he was pretty darn inconsistent.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Guarantee that had Smith hit those bloody stumps that it would look completely different. Cricket's a funny game, that's really all the difference it would've taken.

That's mostly why I look over the current media-driven brouhaha with disdain and contempt.
Of course a test win would have a massive effect, but that's reasonable. 1-1 or 1-0 in India changes things dramatically.

But my point is despite the three test losses in a row, the media have only really began to ramp it up very recently. There was criticism post-India, but the three losses to Sri Lanka, and the manner of the first ODI in particular, have seriously sparked the intense criticism going on right now. Interchange any of these losses with a random win, even as meaningless as the T20, and it'd stop this losing streak which is making people exaggerate the situation.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why worry about Siddle' form!? He won't even be considered unless there are injuries.
Even if there is an injury, would consider Harris and even George ahead of him.
People might say its crazy to consider George, but I believe in Oz, with his extra height, he could prove very useful.
Would have Siddle ahead of George every day of the week and twice on Sunday going on what I have seen of him so far (admittedly it's been quite limited).

Xuhaib

International Coach
have seen bits of that bowler Ben Cutting looked very impressive how far down is he in the pecking order?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Just been watching the highlights of todays play on the ECB site. KP played nicely after being dropped early. Was a fairly though chance to 2nd Slip, but really should have been snaffled. After that though KP looked in fine knick, and actually appeared to be back to his old self. One straight drive he played for 4 was just glorious, really looking forward to seeing how he goes in the series, I'm backing him to have a blinder. Just needs to sort his new 'tache out, it might be Movember, but come on Kev, that's not a good look lad.

andyc

Cheers for the heads up to the video, KP. Annoyed that Pietersen was dropped early on; of all the English batsman, I'd much rather it be Pietersen that struggles.

Jarquis

Maybe because he hasn't bowled in India or Australia yet.. Two of the harder places for someone plying his craft.

Truth is, I don't know why, no one does except for thosewho hold that opinion. But you're being a dog with a bone about it, and I really don't know why.

That and Swann presents as a ****, I guess might have something to do with it :ph34r:
He has bowled in India, he made his debut there.

I'm being a "dog with a bone" about it because people are talking ****, so I'll call them on talking ****.

Jarquis

I don't agree, although he looks like a douche when bowling with the sunnies.
Bowling in sunnies is major ftw.
Hauritz was getting a lot of drift last summer.
So does Swann though, and saying he's "reliant on major spin" is horse ****. Swann gets drift, dip, gives the ball flight, varies his speeds and gets major turn. He's not reliant on turn at all.
Obviously as with any spinner, turn helps but he has other tools to work with.

Jarquis

I don't get the fascination with Johnson...nor do I see too many people making excuses for him being poor in England.

You're going to be fun to talk to during The Ashes though :happy:
He's generally accepted to be one of the best bowlers in the world atm. Has a similar record to Swann in the last 2 years, and they've played some similar opposition in that time. (Pakistan in England for example).

Meh, I probably won't be as I won't be watching live so won't be contributing to match threads much, and tbph I probably won't bother catching up on what I've missed if the SL vs Aus thread is anything to go by.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He has bowled in India, he made his debut there.

I'm being a "dog with a bone" about it because people are talking ****, so I'll call them on talking ****.
So he hasn't bowled there since he became decent then. Apologies.

Look, I don't think anyone is saying he's ****. But from our POV I hope he's your leading wicket taker, because if he is you won't be retaining the Ashes.

Jarquis

Which is fair enough, I've never said Swann is going to tear Australia apart left, right and centre (nor have you accused me of doing such). But that does seem to be the attitude of some of the people I've been talking to.
The chances are we won't take 30 wickets at 22 a piece this series, the conditions aren't favourable. But considering the fact he's an orthodox finger spinner playing on the least favourable decks in the world for his craft, against a side who have typically made such bowlers look amateur should be considered at the end of the series.
If Swann comes away having taken a few bundles of wickets at an average in the low-mid 30s then he'd have done a really respectable job and there's no other spinner currently playing Test cricket who could do a better job in such circumstances IMO, nor are there many bowlers of any kind currently plying their trade that can perform to such a standard when considering everything in its entirety.

That's kind of irrelevant to the discussion I have been having though, the notion that "Swann's not that good" is still ridiculous IMO

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Swann is going to tear Australia apart left, right and centre, take 30 wickets at 22 a piece this series and there's no other spinner currently playing Test cricket who could do a better job.
Fixed. :ph34r:

Oh, and that delivery to Farhat was a thing of beauty. The close-up camera angle of the drift, dip and spin was just fantastic. WAFG.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
have seen bits of that bowler Ben Cutting looked very impressive how far down is he in the pecking order?
He has only just returned to domestic cricket, after being injured. The injury was meant to take just 6 weeks to heal, but it took him 6 months! He plays a Shield match starting Wednesday against Tasmania who will have an excellent batting lineup (Ponting, Bailey, Paine, Cosgrove, Cowan etc).

Cutting would most likely make an Australian B Team once he gets a few games under his belt (Aus, Aus A, Aus B).

Assuming Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger, Siddle are seen as the 4 best quicks in Australia, I would say Harris and George are definitely in our A team and the next quick would probably be someone like Clint McKay.

You've then got Hastings, Geeves (when fit), a stack of NSW quicks (Copeland, Starc, Hazlewood, Cameron) battling it out with Cutting for a spot in our Aussie B Team..

This is of course just my opinion.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Obviously the the best day for England bar KP. I thought it was WA's batting that might prosper and not it's bowling. England were a tad lucky Magoffin went off the field as well, he was bowling really well when I was watching the stream.

I'd deafinitely have one of either Copeland or Cameron in my Australia A team. Harris and George would also be in the team. I disagree with whoever said George doesn't use his height when he is bowling. George does use his height pretty well when his action is 100%, it's something that the bowling coaches can fix as well.

Son Of Coco

He's generally accepted to be one of the best bowlers in the world atm. Has a similar record to Swann in the last 2 years, and they've played some similar opposition in that time. (Pakistan in England for example).
By whom?

If that's truly the case then I think there's a desperate shortage of good bowlers around at the moment. If Mitch is 'one of the best' on current form, then I'd think the pool of 'best' players includes a lot of bowlers.

Ruckus

International Captain
If that's truly the case then I think there's a desperate shortage of good bowlers around at the moment.
I think that's very true. With the absence of Asif and Aamer, test bowling at the moment is the worst it's been in a long time.