• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is true to an extent, in that England's performance in their first FC match three weeks before the tests is about as relevant as Australia's vs SL in a T20 or an ODI. Plenty of hysteria there too it must be said.
No doubt. The failings of Warner, Marsh, and bowling of Hastings, McKay etc. as irrelevant as it gets.

Siddle's form the only worry really I'd say, and even then he looked decent in the T20.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No doubt. The failings of Warner, Marsh, and bowling of Hastings, McKay etc. as irrelevant as it gets.

Siddle's form the only worry really I'd say, and even then he looked decent in the T20.
Siddle probably won't play unless there are injuries anyway, plus he's always **** in OD cricket. So it's not much of a worry either IMO.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Really think Siddle isn't bowling all that badly in terms of his "vital signs", he's just not a great OD bowler. Would probably be one of the last picked for Victoria, and wouldn't make their best T20 side if the Vic selectors were left to their own jurisdiction.

Spark

Global Moderator

Yeah, and as said, the batting lineup does look in good nick barring Hussey.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the hysteria about the ODI series is because the Aussie national team are on a bit of a losing streak and seem to have developed the habit of losing a lot of close ones and throwing away winning positions. In reality, it is no different from what any other team have been doing all these years but it just gets so much more scrutiny because people aren't used to Australia doing that.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the hysteria about the ODI series is because the Aussie national team are on a bit of a losing streak and seem to have developed the habit of losing a lot of close ones and throwing away winning positions. In reality, it is no different from what any other team have been doing all these years but it just gets so much more scrutiny because people aren't used to Australia doing that.
People aren't used to Australia losing, that's all. A few people have said words to the effect that the general public has gotten a bit "entitled" over the years in that they think that regardless of the actual comparative quality of the teams on the park we're supposed to win because we're Australia.

And I have to say a lot of the general public are bandwagoners too. Happy to ride the coattails of success but god forbid anything starts going wrong (as it must in sport)

Ruckus

International Captain
Really think Siddle isn't bowling all that badly in terms of his "vital signs", he's just not a great OD bowler. Would probably be one of the last picked for Victoria, and wouldn't make their best T20 side if the Vic selectors were left to their own jurisdiction.
Yeh I think Siddle has looked in great shape, and pretty good form actually. As good as I've ever seen him look tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I reckon if Australia had, say won the T20, but still lose the ODIs to Sri Lanka, it may be slightly less of an issue.

It's the fact that they haven't won anything since July that is grating people.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So we just excuse Johnson for being ****house in England do we? OK, then I'd like to make Swann's record in Australia exempt from his record.
I mean if being better than an orthodox finger spinner in Australia is the benchmark for being one of the best bowlers in the world we have about 50000 of them.
I don't get the fascination with Johnson...nor do I see too many people making excuses for him being poor in England.

You're going to be fun to talk to during The Ashes though :happy:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I reckon if Australia had, say won the T20, but still lose the ODIs to Sri Lanka, it may be slightly less of an issue.

It's the fact that they haven't won anything since July that is grating people.
Guarantee that had Smith hit those bloody stumps that it would look completely different. Cricket's a funny game, that's really all the difference it would've taken.

That's mostly why I look over the current media-driven brouhaha with disdain and contempt.

pup11

International Coach
Doherty is hardly what I would call promising. He has been in the system for years, and has improved enough to become an international standard ODI spinner. Drift has always been his big weapon, I don't think he will suddenly develop massive turn. The only aspect he could improve upon is his accuracy, which isn't that good for the style of bowler he is.
Nah... don't agree with this. Doherty has been consistent at the OD level for a while now, its just that, only now people are taking notice.

I think this whole spin crisis in Oz is a bit self-created. There are plenty of spin bowlers in Oz, who would do resonably well outside Oz, in slightly more helpful conditions. Agreed that there are no world beaters around, but things aren't as bad, as they are made out to be.

pup11

International Coach
Why worry about Siddle' form!? He won't even be considered unless there are injuries.
Even if there is an injury, would consider Harris and even George ahead of him.
People might say its crazy to consider George, but I believe in Oz, with his extra height, he could prove very useful.

TumTum

Banned
George is crap, no accuracy whatsoever and it's not like he gets any movement when he lands it right.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, he might fall away a little bit, but George still gets a fair bit of bounce. Just comes from a steepling height.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think they should give Copeland a go. Bit of an x-factor.
He's pretty dire in one day cricket so he'd just get belted, and it'd give England a chance to have a look at his action and what he does in the unlikely event that we wanted to play him the Ashes, so I don't think that's a great idea.

Ruckus

International Captain
He's pretty dire in one day cricket so he'd just get belted, and it'd give England a chance to have a look at his action and what he does in the unlikely event that we wanted to play him the Ashes, so I don't think that's a great idea.
Oh, I meant for the Ashes.

For ODIs Harris is the man.

pup11

International Coach
Yup, second what vic said, George is only a young lad, but has got a lot of potential, and in case of an injury, he would worth a punt.
See him, Hazelwood, Starc and Pattinson jr, forming the core of Oz test attack for the future.
Anyways, reading through the thread, read somewhere that Hauritz doesn't get much turn.
Its just not true, Hauritz get as much turn as any finger spinner going around, its just that sometime his confidence, or lack of, stops him from giving the ball air.

Also as a spinner, it doesn't help, to have Ponting as your captain!