• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

pup11

International Coach
Hilfenhaus flatters to deceive. Unlucky bowlers don't win Test matches. I'd pick Johnson and Bollinger both ahead of him.
Just because he has been unlucky thus far, doesn't mean the trend is gonna continue, he certainly hasn't picked all those wickets at the FC level with his luck, also think its not Hilfenhaus who flattered to deceive, its been more of a case of him having no real support from the other end.
Anyways... Bollinger and Hilf should be our new ball bowlers, and how Siddle has come into this whole equation is beyond me!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bolly has been all over the marketing of this series, forgetting the obvious important fact that he's been easily in Australia's best XI for ages. He was meant to play, and only isn't playing for injury reasons. It's not a poor decision to not choose him whereby they are saying Siddle is the better bowler, or more suited vs. Eng etc.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hilditch needs to get the punt ASAP, bring back Trevor Hohns, or if he's not available give the job to Steve Waugh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bolly to me is the kind of guy who will say he's ready for the first test when he's actually still underdone.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's bit of a double-edged sword really. On one hand if Siddle does well at the Gabba it will improve our chances of winning there, but he will likely be retained over Bollinger for further matches (can't see them replacing him with Bollinger if he brings in a good haul). On the other hand, if Siddle fails then that will go a fair way to us not winning the match, but we will be more likely to get Bollinger back for the next tests. TBH I'd almost prefer the latter, because we have to look beyond just the Ashes here. If Siddle has a successful Ashes, we will likely be stuck with him for ages when there are other better bowlers (like Dougie) out there. And I really want that to be avoided.
Well I wouldn't mind that either. I think Siddle's got more potential than Dougie - long term. The reason I don't like Siddle now is because I think he doesn't know how to put together his talents, doesn't know how to plan out an over or a spell. In short, he's got the talent, but he's got no idea what he's doing. Oh it would also help if he could swing the damn ball. But if Siddle suddenly finds something this Test or this series it would be great for Aussie cricket.

Sylvester

State Captain
The problem comes if he does a North or Hussey and just keeps chipping in with the odd performance followed by crap for the next 3 test matches.

Ruckus

International Captain
The problem comes if he does a North or Hussey and just keeps chipping in with the odd performance followed by crap for the next 3 test matches.
That's exactly what I fear...and Siddle seems like that kind of bowler. Although, it has to be said, his performance in between wouldn't be as bad as Hussey's and North's, but still compared to other better bowlers out there...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In what I've seen of Siddle since his return, I thought he showed some promise with the ball. Moves it around a bit (contrary to what some people seem to think) and, if he is hitting a good length, can be difficult.

Having said that, he seems to lose the plot and get way too short at times. Doesn't seem to realise that by getting short and 'aggressive' he gives momentum to the batsman if he doesn't get them out. Continually bowling short passes the point of aggression and becomes stupidity if it's not working.

I hope he concentrates on bowling good line and length in this test, if he does he'll go well. Having said that, I don't think he was a better choice than Bollinger if that latter was fully fit.

That's probably a big if over 5 days of the first test though. Am inclined to think Siddle got the nod due to a lack of play for Dougeh. If Doug's ignored for the following matches it'd start to become weird.

Tomorrow's toss could be a good one to lose too...depending on exactly how green the wicket is. If it's a bowler's paradise though would hope Ponting will bowl if he wins it.

Last edited:

stephen

I doubt it will be a bowlers paradise - it really hasn't been that wet in the leadup up here in Brissy. It's also nowhere near as hot as it normally is at this time of year.

Son Of Coco

Rather than mention a bowler's paradise, I should've just said "I hope Ponting does the right thing if he wins the toss".