• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Was trying to make the point that a batsmen undercooked is not as bad as a bowler, especially in these circumstances.

Clarke's injury has never put him out of form while a continued sidestrain could ruin him for the series

Nevertheless, it's pretty clear he was dropped because they rate Siddle higher though

Ruckus

International Captain
Almost no chance we'll bat by choice first
yeah I agree, but when the team is as unsettled as ours atm, I don't think it's the greatest idea to bat first on what is likely to be a bowler-friendly wicket. If there is a lack of confidence when you are batting it will result in wickets, and go a long way towards losing the game, but if you are bowling it might just result in a few erratic spells - i.e. it shouldn't affect the outcome of the game that much, and it helps to lessen the pressure by being the 'attacking' side.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus, Mark Cameron's a good bowler, but he's not ****ing Barnes reincarnate. With this supposed ridiculous depth that NSW has, you'd think that they might've gone well in the last few Sheffield Shields, yeah?
Tbf, we always lose when we get our international players back.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's probably because they're all more concerned about playing for their own form. Fair enough I guess.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I agree, but when the team is as unsettled as ours atm, I don't think it's the greatest idea to bat first on what is likely to be a bowler-friendly wicket. If there is a lack of confidence when you are batting it will result in wickets, and go a long way towards losing the game, but if you are bowling it might just result in a few erratic spells - i.e. it shouldn't affect the outcome of the game that much, and it helps to lessen the pressure by being the 'attacking' side.
I'm not disagreeing with the logic behind bowling first, it just won't happen

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Almost no chance we'll bat by choice first
Haha FMD, if Australia go into the first Test, having retained Hussey and North, and dropped Bollinger and Hauritz for Siddle and Doherty, AND then elect to bowl first, surely it'd be time for the ICC anti-corruption committee to step in?

Having heard about Siddle over Bollinger this morning, I just still cannot believe it. Makes no sense to me; anything you can say about Siddle being menacing and being able to charge in all day applies exactly the same to Bollinger, except he has the advantage of taking wickets at a considerably superior average.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah exactly, all everyone talks about wrt Siddle is what he does on the way to the bowling crease, not at it.

Spikey

Heard Bollinger got dropped due to his poor performance on the Ashes television ads.
We should have a "Battle of the **** Ashes television ads" after the Ashes. Right now that ad with Tom and those other kids playing against Australia is winning.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Absolutely nothing I would love to see more than Hilfenhaus run in and take out Strauss' middle stump first ball tomorrow morning.

(Apart from maybe Australia winning back the Ashes)

Spikey

ideally hilf and MJ will take about 10-17 between them while Siddle willl go for 0-54 off 3 overs

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah best case scenario. Watto double ton. Ponting double ton. Clarke double ton. Hussey 0. North 0. Hilf 10/25 & Johnson 12/50 with Siddle going 0/100.

- edit Johnson taking extra two wickets because they felt bad for the poms and let Rhoyd Rage and Pierce Potts from the Barmy Army come and bat

Last edited: