• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope the Australia selectors took note of the message I arranged from the North yesterday afternoon...defy my wishes at your peril boys!

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Has it been confirmed that Bollinger will sit-out? I have read other articles written today that suggest Siddle will miss.

I still think it's too early to start blaming the selectors. If Bollinger isn't right to play, then I don't want him in the Test side and breaking down on Day 3.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Has it been confirmed that Bollinger will sit-out? I have read other articles written today that suggest Siddle will miss.

I still think it's too early to start blaming the selectors. If Bollinger isn't right to play, then I don't want him in the Test side and breaking down on Day 3.
Links?

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Siddles for one test filling in >> Bollinger breaking down in his first spell of the first ashes test and being unavailable for the rest of the series

We don't know how Bollinger is fitness wise (at least i don't and i'm assuming most people here don't have inside info) so it's hard to judge. If Bollinger is fit and there's no worries of further injury or him leaving us a bowler short then it's a stupid decision to play Siddle but i'm guessing the selectors are just be cautious and the phsyio has recommended Bollinger wouldn't get through the test.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
awta. I think any attack at the selectors being 'dumb' is completely warranted. The amount of stupid decisions they (probably mainly Hilditch) have made now is getting out of hand. Forget taunts to the English side, we need to get a "Ditch Hilditch" chant going at the stadiums during the Ashes...
it's well within the realms of possibility that the selectors genuinely think Siddle is a better option than Dougeh

Ruckus

International Captain
it's well within the realms of possibility that the selectors genuinely think Siddle is a better option than Dougeh
Well they obviously do if he is going to be in the team, but that's exactly what makes the decision idiotic. The battle against the English team is going to hard enough in itself, we don't need our own camp compounding the problem further...

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
Im sure Doug is fit (read it somewhere that Doug him self mentioned that) so its the amount of bowling they have done leading up to the 1st test that the selectors are worring about.Bollinger bowled 20 odd overs in sheild compared to Siddles 140 odd.

Although i cant see them doing the same to Johnson had he been in Doug's place they would have definately play him regardless of the lead up form.I think they actualy think Siddle is equal to bollinger

Noble One

That's bizarre :wacko:, especially when considering the main article on cricinfo is subheaded as "Preview - Siddle beats Bollinger for bowling spot".
I quite like Peter English and his match previews, but he does tend to write statements without any source.

Ruckus

International Captain

Na it has to be official:

"Peter Siddle will play his first Test since January after beating Doug Bollinger for the final bowling spot, and Xavier Doherty will make his debut."

There is no way he would say something like that without having a reliable source. I think the article you posted sounded more speculative.

robelinda

I'm actually happy for Siddle, hoping Ponting fills that gap in the slips which so infuriated Sids last season. Dougie should play too IMO, you play your best bowlers- regardless what they bowl. If that means no spinner then so be it.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
No ones mentioned a factor that could be big in the decision: No Hauritz...

Left arm quicks pair well with off spinners due to the extra rough spots they create for the spinners. We just dropped our offie, but England still have a good one. That means retaining Bollinger might make Swann more effective. Combine that with the lack of recent bowling Dougie's had and I can understand why Siddle might get the nod. Normally though, Dougie all the way...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No ones mentioned a factor that could be big in the decision: No Hauritz...

Left arm quicks pair well with off spinners due to the extra rough spots they create for the spinners. We just dropped our offie, but England still have a good one. That means retaining Bollinger might make Swann more effective. Combine that with the lack of recent bowling Dougie's had and I can understand why Siddle might get the nod. Normally though, Dougie all the way...
Not in Brisbane.

Shame Hilditch left Hunt and Hunt's Adelaide office. I'd have known where he frequents.

howardj

International Coach
They must have conveniently forgotten that Siddle was pretty much going to be dropped from the test side after averaging in the high 40s against the allmighty Pakistan and West Indies batting line ups last summer
Spot on.

Siddle was on the ropes just before he got injured last year.

Feel for you, Doug.

Hate you Hilditch, and your stupid dog.