Page 50 of 405 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    However, to say that he's a good bowler at home because he took cheap wickets against Pakistan, West Indies and New Zealand flies in the face of the excuse usually trotted out to defend his First Class record - that the pitches here don't suit him and he'd do better abroad.
    To be honest, Bollinger's cheap wickets against those exact same teams are used by people on here to paint him as a real force.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

I don't think it'll happen, and if it does, it'll only be because they're not completely confident in Bollinger's fitness. Wait until we see the eleven before slamming the selectors for doing something they haven't done yet.
    Regardless, Siddle has not done enough to be in the squad. As I say, he was on the verge of getting dropped last SUmmer before injury. I think he needs some hauls and to show improvement, before he gets back.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    To be honest, Bollinger's cheap wickets against those exact same teams are used by people on here to paint him as a real force.
    Missing the point tbh. People don't say Bollinger's First Class record is inflated by unsuited home pitches.. because he averaged in the teens for two seasons running before getting picked and topped the Shield wicket tally.

When Hauritz first came into the team, all the talk was about how Australian pitches were terrible for spinners and that his First Class average wasn't representative of how he'd do around the world, and now that he's cleaned up lower orders after the opening bowlers have run through weak batting lineups at home, he's suddenly unsuited to conditions abroad but a good bowler at home. What people are saying is that the pitches at home don't suit him, and that the pitches abroad don't suit him. Doesn't seem like a very good bowler based on that, does he?
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Regardless, Siddle has not done enough to be in the squad. As I say, he was on the verge of getting dropped last SUmmer before injury. I think he needs some hauls and to show improvement, before he gets back.
    So given Harris himself admitted he probably isn't fit enough, who the **** would you have in the squad?

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Krejza did okay...

Fact is, Hauritz's bowling was completely unsuited to Indian conditions and he was always going to struggle. However, to say that he's a good bowler at home because he took cheap wickets against Pakistan, West Indies and New Zealand flies in the face of the excuse usually trotted out to defend his First Class record - that the pitches here don't suit him and he'd do better abroad.
    Yes, he did ok.

Think most Aussie spinners are unsuited to Indian conditions, because they're not good enough to trouble such accomlished players of spin.

Not sure where you're going with the rest of your comment, have I said he is a particularly good bowler at home ?
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    So given Harris himself admitted he probably isn't fit enough, who the **** would you have in the squad?
    pretty confdient that any of these four would do better than Siddle

- Trent Copeland
    - Clint McKay
    - vic_orthdox
    - Mark Cameron

Bollinger Jnr iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post

- Trent Copeland
    - Clint McKay
    - vic_orthdox
    - Mark Cameron
    What are you basing this on? McKay and Cameron had a perfect chance to apply some pressure on the FAB FOUR of Johnson, Bolly, Siddle, Hilf (I hope by Boxing Day that's what they are called) but they failed to do so.

Sure they both bowled quite well, but they didn't take the wickets. Copeland has been taking big wickets lately so perhaps he would do well, while vic_orthdox is really fighting for Doherty's spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post

- Trent Copeland
    - Clint McKay
    - vic_orthdox
    - Mark Cameron
    Well I love Copeland and Cameron but I tend to write that off as bias, particularly as Cameron didn't bowl his best in the Australia A game despite showing his obvious talent. Disagree with McKay.

I doubt people hate Siddle - rather they don't think he's as good as Bollinger, whereas the Aussie selectors might think that way.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post

Think most Aussie spinners are unsuited to Indian conditions, because they're not good enough to trouble such accomplished players of spin.
    Think you can add most spinners from any country to that list.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    No

Is the Gabba likely to be a good surface for spin?

No

Is Doherty likely to perform as well as any of the seamers?

Not a snowflake's chance in hell

In summary: Go with our strengths and let North bowl a few overs if needed
    Is what I'd do

Well what if Watson's one of our best four bowlers for the conditions?
    Pick a batsman. If Watson's genuinely one of your 4 best bowlers and he can be trusted to bowl a few substantial spells and get through a fair amount of overs, go with 3 seamers, Watto and then part time spin. If Katich can chuck down a few then, as a package, North and Katich are better packages as spinners then anything else you can choose.
    Besides O'Keefe, arguably.

Missing the point tbh. People don't say Bollinger's First Class record is inflated by unsuited home pitches.. because he averaged in the teens for two seasons running before getting picked and topped the Shield wicket tally.

When Hauritz first came into the team, all the talk was about how Australian pitches were terrible for spinners and that his First Class average wasn't representative of how he'd do around the world, and now that he's cleaned up lower orders after the opening bowlers have run through weak batting lineups at home, he's suddenly unsuited to conditions abroad but a good bowler at home. What people are saying is that the pitches at home don't suit him, and that the pitches abroad don't suit him. Doesn't seem like a very good bowler based on that, does he?
    Well tbh the pitches at home do suit him. He gets roughly zero overspin unless he bowls his toppie (which he doesn't, inexplicably) which means he needs the bounce and pace in the pitch to really trouble the batsmen.

Let's not kid ourselves though - he did actually bowl quite well last summer.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Pick a batsman.
    Was my point tbh. The next best batsman in the squad is Smith.

Thread Information