• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
This will be the first home Ashes series I have experienced that I will be working. Depressing thought that the first live action I will see is day 3.

Ruckus

International Captain
I can't believe this...

"Peter Siddle has firmed as Australia's third bowler for the Gabba...Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus are the two certainties in the attack while Siddle is capable of providing some right-arm menace after a long and detailed recovery."

Bollinger has been without a doubt our best bowler, and it seriously looks like Siddle is going to replace him. Absolute bull**** imo... I bet as well Siddle will get a good haul and stay in the team the entire Ashes and beyond, I can just sense it happening...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bollinger has been without a doubt our best bowler, and it seriously looks like Siddle is going to replace him. Absolute bull**** imo... I bet as well Siddle will get a good haul and stay in the team the entire Ashes and beyond, I can just sense it happening...
If Siddle gets a good haul surely you won't mind him being in the side.If he bowls crap then you have a right to complain.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Siddle gets a good haul surely you won't mind him being in the side.If he bowls crap then you have a right to complain.
What if he takes a good haul and then stays in the series for the whole five Tests because of that, and does little else?

Bollinger's seriously the first bowler I'd pick. I'd sooner drop Hilfenhaus, Doherty or Johnson than Bolly.

Ruckus

International Captain
No, because I think he is a worse long term option than Bollinger. If he gets a good haul in the first test I fear he will stay in the team. Over the duration of the entire Ashes I think Bollinger would be a much better (and more successful) option.

Ruckus

International Captain
What if he takes a good haul and then stays in the series for the whole five Tests because of that, and does little else?

Bollinger's seriously the first bowler I'd pick. I'd sooner drop Hilfenhaus, Doherty or Johnson than Bolly.
The only benefit I can think of that Siddle brings to the team over Bollinger is his marginally better batting. But overall Bollinger's better bowling would easily compensate for a few extra runs imo. The problem with dropping Hilf instead though is he is our only genuine swing bowler apart from Watson, who either (as you said) might not even bowl or will just bowl a few overs like usual. I don't like not having a swing bowler as one of our main 3 at the Gabba when the conditions have been, and will continue to be, wet and overcast.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only benefit I can think of that Siddle brings to the team over Bollinger is his marginally better batting. But overall Bollinger's better bowling would easily compensate for a few extra runs imo. The problem with dropping Hilf instead though is he is our only genuine swing bowler apart from Watson, who either (as you said) might not even bowl or will just bowl a few overs like usual. I don't like not having a swing bowler as one of our main 3 at the Gabba when the conditions have been, and will continue to be, wet and overcast.
Bollinger actually swings it a fair bit when he pitches it up. Tends to ... not do that though.

Noble One

Sadly we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I imagine the fitness of Bollinger is the only factor that will mean Siddle is his replacement.

Ruckus

International Captain
Bollinger actually swings it a fair bit when he pitches it up. Tends to ... not do that though.
haha yeh I don't think you can call Bollinger a swing bowler. He is similiar to Johnson in that he occasional will get some movement, but doesn't do it on a reliable basis. At least with Siddle replacing Bollinger, the switch is from one bowler who takes advantage of bounce to another who does as well, albeit one who is a lot ****ter at it :tongue:

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
and what sort of fitness do they want Bollinger to prove?didn't he successfully completed a club game and a whole shield match??do they give tiniest bit of importance to fact that Bollinger roughly averages about 10 runs less than Siddle??

nah this whole fitness thing is a dirty excuse to simply bring in the bright kid who run in all day

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Bollinger fit? I would think that's be the only reason why he'd be missing from the line-up for the 1st test.

Personally, if it's greener than usual come match day I'd go for Bollinger (if he's considered fit) and give Doherty a rest I think. I'd also bowl first to try and press home the advantage.

Swann would get a chance to bowl at you in the 4th innings, but I think you'd have to back you bowlers to do the job and not worry too much about that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
haha yeh I don't think you can call Bollinger a swing bowler. He is similiar to Johnson in that he occasional will get some movement, but doesn't do it on a reliable basis. At least with Siddle replacing Bollinger, the switch is from one bowler who takes advantage of bounce to another who does as well, albeit one who is a lot ****ter at it :tongue:
He's different to Johnson in that he actually has a good wrist position and genuinely swings the ball whenever he tries to and pitches it up. He just tends to bowl back of a length a lot.

Noble One

and what sort of fitness do they want Bollinger to prove?didn't he successfully completed a club game and a whole shield match??do they give tiniest bit of importance to fact that Bollinger roughly averages about 10 runs less than Siddle??

nah this whole fitness thing is a dirty excuse to simply bring in the bright kid who run in all day
You know all this? That's the issue, Bollinger may only be half done during training sessions, or he may be mentioning to the trainers he isn't quite right. We simply won't know.

Ruckus

International Captain
Sadly we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but I imagine the fitness of Bollinger is the only factor that will mean Siddle is his replacement.
I don't think so, it sounds as though they want Siddle because he is a right arm bowler.

"Bollinger's action has usually been a selling point but in this team there are also the left-armers Johnson and Xavier Doherty"

"Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus are the two certainties in the attack while Siddle is capable of providing some right-arm menace"

Ummm aren't Hilfenhaus and Watto right arm as well? I really hope Peter English is just wildly speculating and doesn't have any hidden insight into what the selectors are saying...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know all this? That's the issue, Bollinger may only be half done during training sessions, or he may be mentioning to the trainers he isn't quite right. We simply won't know.
Exactly, maybe his efforts in the 2nd innings against Tassie were an indication he wasn't in perfect nick.

The only people that would know whether he's ok or not are him and those within the Australian set-up.

Ruckus

International Captain
He's different to Johnson in that he actually has a good wrist position and genuinely swings the ball whenever he tries to and pitches it up. He just tends to bowl back of a length a lot.
It's kind of irrelevant though... even if can do it reliably, he chooses not to (or simply doesn't), so you can't call him a genuine swing bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's kind of irrelevant though... even if can do it reliably, he chooses not to (or simply doesn't), so you can't call him a genuine swing bowler.
Yeah, I agree. I just really dislike it when Bollinger is compared to Johnson. The only similarities they share are being left handed, being professional cricketers and being born in the same country. The bowl very differently.