• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

TumTum

Banned
Doherty bound to get KP out though. may as well pick him just for that.
:) That's just what I was thinking. Also I don't like the idea of a 4 man pace attack, sounds very risky to me, might as well have all the bases covered in case of any surprises.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair to Doherty and his awful First Class bowling record, he's improved a lot. He didn't play at all in 2007/08 and only played a couple of games in 2008/09. Since his recall at the end of last season as Tasmania's number one Sheffield Shield spinner he's taken 21 FC wickets for Tasmania @ 25.76 - which is honestly a lot more than Hauritz was picked on. In the same time period (last two seasons of the Shield) O'Keefe's taken 22 FC wickets for NSW @ 26.31. There's very little in it. His action has visibly improved too.

I'd pick O'Keefe too for several other reasons (batting, fielding, Australia A performances, decreased likelihood of it being a purple patch) but in the time period O'Keefe's made a name for himself, Doherty's been good too and he's been awesome in one day cricket for a while (which I don't care about but the selectors always have).

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:) That's just what I was thinking. Also I don't like the idea of a 4 man pace attack, sounds very risky to me, might as well have all the bases covered in case of any surprises.
Trouble is our spin options are **** and the Gabba has literally only suited a couple of spinners in history, let alone in a wet summer like this one

Pick the 4 best bowlers and be done with it

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Point is that a "poor" performance from Siddle will almost undoubtedly be better than anything either Doherty or Smith serve up so why bother with either of them
Well at this point I'd almost be in favour of the absolute cop-out pick. Pick Smith as "the spinner" but realistically only pick him for his batting, use Watson as the fourth bowler and turn to Smith/North only if Plan A doesn't work.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Trouble is our spin options are **** and the Gabba has literally only suited a couple of spinners in history, let alone in a wet summer like this one

Pick the 4 best bowlers and be done with it
Well what if Watson's one of our best four bowlers for the conditions?

Ruckus

International Captain
Nah, Siddle can get seam movement. Which I suspect will be handy at the Gabba. Disagree completely that Watson will be the top wicket-taker even if he does bowl his share of overs.
Most fast bowlers can get seam movement, but generally he doesn't get enough to cause many problems. Obviously just have to agree to disagree about Watson. If he is given a fair share of overs, there is no reason he couldn't take the most wickets at the Gabba given his current good form with the ball (took a 5-for the other day), his overall FC average (better than any of the otheres in the squad) and the fact that last time he played at the Gabba he was causing plenty of problems.

If Doherty is playing though, then I doubt Watson will get bowled very much...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Most fast bowlers can get seam movement, but generally he doesn't get enough to cause many problems. Obviously just have to agree to disagree about Watson. If he is given a fair share of overs, there is no reason he couldn't take the most wickets at the Gabba given his current good form with the ball (took a 5-for the other day), his overall FC average (better than any of the otheres in the squad) and the fact that last time he played at the Gabba he was causing plenty of problems.

If Doherty is playing though, then I doubt Watson will get bowled very much...
I actually think Watson's a lot more likely to get a proper bowl if Doherty's playing than if Siddle plays instead. Obviously he'd get through the most overs if Smith was playing, though.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well at this point I'd almost be in favour of the absolute cop-out pick. Pick Smith as "the spinner" but realistically only pick him for his batting, use Watson as the fourth bowler and turn to Smith/North only if Plan A doesn't work.
AWTA. Listening to the commentary team, that's clearly what the popular strategy is as well. Unfortunately it won't happen lol...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He may well be but cant be relied upon (nor should he be btw) to bowl 20 overs a day
I thought that too, but if he was willing to play as a third seamer for NSW and bowl those sort of overs I don't see why Australia can't use him in a similar role. He wouldn't have been used as he was for NSW if the staff weren't confident in his fitness and ability to back up.

Ruckus

International Captain
I actually think Watson's a lot more likely to get a proper bowl if Doherty's playing than if Siddle plays instead. Obviously he'd get through the most overs if Smith was playing, though.
Yeah I agree, but if either Siddle or Doherty is playing I don't think he will be called upon any more than usual (unless of course Doherty is destroyed and taken off indefinately, but I doubt that will happen).

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I agree, but if either Siddle or Doherty is playing I don't think he will be called upon any more than usual (unless of course Doherty is destroyed and taken off indefinately, but I doubt that will happen).
Why would you doubt that?

After all, spinners have taken the grand total of ONE wicket in fc cricket in Queensland this year (and that was by the renowned club bowler, Nathan Michael Hauritz :laugh:) and if you were going to attack anybody, it would be a debutant with no record to speak of rather than any of 3 85+ mph bowlers operating in favourable conditions

howardj

International Coach
At least we learned one thing from today...

That Merv was not the selector leading this panel astray

howardj

International Coach
At the risk of having the broken record jpeg inserted after this post, I am concerned as a lover of Australian cricket that we are now ranked 5th in the world and yet continue to pick the same team. Especially when the reason for many of our loses over the course of the last 18 months has been a recurring one, namely our frail batting. It's distressing to draw with Pakistan for example, and I don't think things like this are really clicking with the inner sanctum, really stinging like I hoped they would.