Page 304 of 405 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314354404 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 6067

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Mate this is absurd - English batsmen scoring runs = bad.
    haha fair enough. I will try and gather some stats on it some time, and see if my gut feeling is right.

DeusEx's posts relating to the law of averages and his generally poor understanding of basic probability infuriate so much.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    DeusEx's posts relating to the law of averages and his generally poor understanding of basic probability infuriate so much.
    I know I annoyed you with this last time, I promise it won't be brought up again until I have some decent evidence (or lack of).

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    The fact that you exist infuriates much, STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Where the **** did we get so many statisticians on this place from?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Poor England - gonna get thrashed by around 10 wickets I reckon.

vcs
    This isn't a cricket sim. If it's a losing cause you want the batsmen to be out for nothing, not have match practice out in the middle or bother tiring your bowlers out.
    Couldn't agree more. Why would you want their batsmen to find any semblance of form or confidence? Why would you be happy to see, let's say, Pietersen, belting around Johnson and co. and gaining confidence, just because it came in a losing cause? He'll make that form count later in the series when it truly matters.

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    I know I annoyed you with this last time, I promise it won't be brought up again until I have some decent evidence (or lack of).
    It's the sort of thing I find so ridiculous that I wouldn't buy into it even if you supported it with pretty good figures, as correlation doesn't prove causation. It'd be a bit like me proving that #6 Test batsmen score 42% more runs when I drink orange juice while I watch them bat - if it's true then it's a coincidence and unlikely to effect future run-scoring.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Poor England - gonna get thrashed by around 10 wickets I reckon.
    That is the most likely result. Unless rain decides to play spoilsport, I really cannot see them holding out for a draw.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    So true.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Australia v England: England take the hard knocks | Cricket Features | The Ashes 2010-11 | ESPN Cricinfo

Remember when Dale Steyn bowled that incredible spell at Paul Collingwood but he just kept somehow holding on.

Probably wasn't as good as Jimmy's spell yesterday but still a really good comparison, I feel.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Would answer a lot of questions RE Marcus North
    Would be a pretty good statement for Hussey RE Quote of runs. (Prior to his knock today though).

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Just to show we aint talking garbage, I dug up some old WI matches and uploaded the lbw in question!

YouTube - Richie Richardson walks on an LBW vs Australia, 1984 MCG Rodney Hogg
    KP pretty much walked during the 2005 Ashes. Third test I think, to McGrath.

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    A massive test for England tomorrow. Cook and Strauss succeeded in getting us to the close of play withhout any damage to the wickets column, and we should remember this is not a great Aussie attack. There was little threat in that last hour, and if, and I appreciate it is a big 'if', we bat anything like we could register a decent 2nd innings total tomorrow.

The pitch currently is not doing loads, the cracks are appearing but once the hardness of the ball diminishes, it's still a good track to bat on. Not much happened for Aussies with the new ball, they don't have that magic bowler of years gone by, so we should be hopeful of really making them work for these 10 2nd innings wickets.

We were unlucky first session on day 3, absolutely no doubt about that, but massive credit to Hussey and Haddin who were fantastic. Our plans were not very good, and I agree with Botham, in regards to bowling well outside off stump is a terrible plan in these circumstances.

Finn's figures were flattered with some cheap wickets, thought he was probably the least likely of the three seamers to penetrate, but there you go. He finally found the weakness in Mike Hussey with the short ball, it only took about 20 pull/hook shots for boundaries before he finally got one wrong!! We fed him so much in this area, Finn especially, they weren't quick bouncers, just gentle half trackers!

Swann was ineffective today, not much help around for him, we were drilled into the ground in that afternoon session, but hit back with a good final session.

A very tough ask for us now to come out of this Test at 0-0, but you never know. We have been resillient in the face of adversity in the past, and we need that attitude on day 4.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    haha fair enough. I will try and gather some stats on it some time, and see if my gut feeling is right.
    In my experience, the most stunning example of why your theory is nonsense occurred in 1982 when the great Allan Border saved his test place (really, no myth) by scoring an unbeaten half century in a valiant losing effort against Eng at the MCG

That innings not only saved his skin but caused Eng (and the rest of the world tbh) another decade of pain including the very next test

As someone else said "opposition batsman scoring runs = bad"

Thread Information