Page 303 of 405 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 6067

Thread: *Official* First Test at the Gabba

  1. #4531
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,892
    Didn't happen after Headingley in 2009

  2. #4532
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    True, but it would be nonsensical to argue that Australia would have had a better chance of winning at the Oval had they only beaten England in Headingley by, say 7 wickets, instead of with an innings to spare.

  3. #4533
    Cricket Spectator Castrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    21
    We need Stauss to pull something out of the bag. After his pathetic performance in the 1st innings he owes the team at least 100. A solid base from the two openers will give the rest confidence and less pressure will be put on their soldiers.
    You would thinnk a minimum score would be 450 odd to be able to get a win. Their batsmen will be full of confidence an will no doubt will look for big scores again.
    Through these times of trouble we have to think, what would danny wilson do?

  4. #4534
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,801
    Oh dear England, not your day at all.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.


  5. #4535
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,892
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    True, but it would be nonsensical to argue that Australia would have had a better chance of winning at the Oval had they only beaten England in Headingley by, say 7 wickets, instead of with an innings to spare.
    Indeed - I do agree with you - I'm sure Ponting would like to hammer England rather than just beat them

  6. #4536
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Richie Richardson did in an ODI at the MCG in the early 80s.

    It was back when the pitch was crazy low and slow. He went to pull one.. Hit him on the ankle in front of middle. He just walked off. See it sometimes on World Series classics. Piss funny tbh.
    Just to show we aint talking garbage, I dug up some old WI matches and uploaded the lbw in question!

    YouTube - Richie Richardson walks on an LBW vs Australia, 1984 MCG Rodney Hogg

  7. #4537
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    LOL, don't agree with that at all. Grind them into the ground and you have a much better chance of exposing mental scars and fragilities which could cost them all series long.
    Nah, I think you have to do it twice for that to take effect. Otherwise it's pretty easy to write this Test off mentally as something that just happens and if you grind them into the ground next Test as well it's not like they'll have much chance at winning the series anyways at 2-0, so it's a bit of a moot point.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  8. #4538
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    True, but it would be nonsensical to argue that Australia would have had a better chance of winning at the Oval had they only beaten England in Headingley by, say 7 wickets, instead of with an innings to spare.
    It's not nonsensical at all to suggest that a batsmen will likely average less in other matches if he has scored heavily in losing causes. If you deny that, then you are essentially saying their batting average counts for nothing.

  9. #4539
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    It's not nonsensical at all to suggest that a batsmen will likely average less in other matches if he has scored heavily in losing causes. If you deny that, then you are essentially saying their batting average counts for nothing.
    Are you saying batsmen have a quota of runs and once they hit that they stop scoring?

  10. #4540
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Are you saying batsmen have a quota of runs and once they hit that they stop scoring?
    No it's not as clear cut as that, people aren't machines. It is simply more likely that will occur. Sometimes players can have awesome series' where they average far beyond their career average.

  11. #4541
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,451
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Are you saying batsmen have a quota of runs and once they hit that they stop scoring?
    Would answer a lot of questions RE Marcus North
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  12. #4542
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    No it's not as clear cut as that, people aren't machines. It is simply more likely that will occur. Sometimes players can have awesome series' where they average far beyond their career average.
    This isn't a cricket sim. If it's a losing cause you want the batsmen to be out for nothing, not have match practice out in the middle or bother tiring your bowlers out.

  13. #4543
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,108
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    This isn't a cricket sim. If it's a losing cause you want the batsmen to be out for nothing, not have match practice out in the middle or bother tiring your bowlers out.
    Unless their batsmen are out of form they shouldn't need any more practice - and hardly any of the English batsmen are out of form. I guess you would be tiring the bowlers, but at the same time you would be tiring their batsmen as well.

  14. #4544
    Cricket Spectator Castrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Would answer a lot of questions RE Marcus North
    Care to explain?

  15. #4545
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Unless their batsmen are out of form they shouldn't need any more practice - and hardly any of the English batsmen are out of form. I guess you would be tiring the bowlers, but at the same time you would be tiring their batsmen as well.
    Mate this is absurd - English batsmen scoring runs = bad.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Test cricket under lights?
    By vcs in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 06:12 PM
  2. **Official** England in New Zealand
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6035
    Last Post: 17-04-2008, 01:38 PM
  3. CW XI Test History
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29-11-2007, 05:34 AM
  4. Greatest west indian fast bowler of all time?
    By superwills in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 21-09-2007, 03:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •