• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Bobisback

International Regular
Well played Cook. He should really have a go now, try to set a good score and declare mid way through the next session. We know Clarke, Ponting and North wont trouble the scorers so they really only have to take 7 wickets.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
The sofa is convinced England should just grind Australia all day.

I disagree. Making an attempt to win would send a powerful message, and at least would be somewhat exciting.

Strauss should declare after a 250-300 lead.

Blocky

Banned
:laugh:

He does though, 'cause he's Watto :wub:

Look, I'm not going to pretend this is anything but extremely frustrating, annoying and somewhat depressing. However I'd like to think of this as an abnormality, rather than "then norm" which is what you'd think it was given by the tone of posts in here.

I'm probably well in the minority in this POV, but meh, am just getting sick of all the pessimism from pretty much everyone about Australian cricket.
The abnormality here is that England haven't been throwing the wickets away to Mitchell Johnson and what ever spin bowler Australia have since Warne. All other sides have been doing that and they've stopped doing it this series.

You've got batsmen who aren't performing who stay in the side (never happened in the last 15 years for Aus) and a captain who has no idea on how to captain a side that doesn't have McGrath and Warne doing it all for him.

In my view, Australia are entirely freaking lucky to A: Reduce England to 260 in the first innings and B: Have a partnership between Hussey and Haddin which put them so far ahead.

Realistically, there aren't too many positives to take from this except Hussey, Haddin and Siddle. There are huge question marks around Doherty, North, Johnson and lingering concerns around Clarke, Ponting's captaincy and whether Hilfenhaus is good enough at this level.

When have Australia had so many doubts about their side? Their best hope is that they find a new age Allan Border to rebuild it.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I blame John Howard for this. 11 years of a conservative government has long-lasting effects on the Australian selectors. They need to unpucker and grow some balls now he's gone!

:ph34r:

Seriously though, don't see this as an abnormality as Australia haven't put back-to-back bowling performances together consistently for quite a while. There's always a chance they'll come out and spray it around/ not exert enough pressure. You either have to just accept it's the way it's going to be post-Warne and McGrath etc, or do something about it. Looks like we'll be doing the former.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Well that concludes one of the most awful hours of cricket I've seen from eleven players wearing the baggy green.

Redbacks

International Captain
Meh,

we will end in a draw most likely and in the end England only took 10 wickets, still haven't shown they can get 20 themselves as of yet.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I blame John Howard for this. 11 years of a conservative government has long-lasting effects on the Australian selectors. They need to unpucker and grow some balls now he's gone!

:ph34r:
It's interesting that we've been noticeably ****tier since he left office. :ph34r:

[/inb4 howardj]

outbreak

First Class Debutant
It is a pretty amazing scorecard. 2 6fers, a hattrick, 5 hundreds, almost 2 doubles.....

I say we drop the entire Aussie side, make Hodge captain and let him pick his own side and have his chance running the side :P

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's interesting that we've been noticeably ****tier since he left office. :ph34r:

[/inb4 howardj]
Yes, but if you swap 'The Australian Cricket Team' for 'The Economy', I think you'll get a similar result.

The John Howard years just put a mentality in place that doesn't translate to tougher times. Did nothing while times were good, gave us nothing for the tough times :sleep:

Although I do believe the current results in Australian cricket are the recession we had to have.

Last edited: