• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, its just a case of each to their own. All teams react to things differently hence why you can never really categorically have momentum.
I definitely think there are key moments and periods within games where you can almost tangibly feel the effect of momentum, though. Not just in cricket, either.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just spent four days in a row at this thing. I reckon it took five years off my life. Two days in a row is all the human body is cut out for. Anyway, I don't think either team particularly fears their opponent's bowling attack. It will be darn hard work for either side to eek out results this Summer. It's weird Australia walking away from the Gabba with only a draw. It really is our best venue and one where would have been banking on a win.

Also, I was totally vindicated about the myth of the Gabba Greentop. It never is in Tests.
Dougeh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I definitely think there are key moments and periods within games where you can almost tangibly feel the effect of momentum, though. Not just in cricket, either.
Yeah, definitely. I don't think it really applies across matches much though, particularly when both sides know they are pretty evenly matched.

howardj

International Coach
I think Johnson is hanging by a thread at the moment. Not just because of his form, but the fact that Ponting seemed reluctant to turn to him for much of today. Once you've lost Ponting's confidence, you're on a greasy poll out of the team. Ryan Harris to come in for Adelaide - the form bowler of the Summer, and someone with an outstanding international record in both forms (small sample admittedly).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Johnson is hanging by a thread at the moment. Not just because of his form, but the fact that Ponting seemed reluctant to turn to him for much of today. Once you've lost Ponting's confidence, you're on a greasy poll out of the team. Ryan Harris to come in for Adelaide - the form bowler of the Summer, and someone with an outstanding international record in both forms (small sample admittedly).
Stop leaving Bollinger out of all your teams!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rhino's beaten down the door frankly.
Haha you're so transparent. I remember you including Harris ahead of Bollinger in one of your teams earlier and you claimed it was only because Bollinger was of questionable fitness and that otherwise he'd be in. Then Harris pulled up poorly after his Shield game and you ignored that. Now, after neither of them have actually played much since that point (one bowl each IIRC), you're finally admitting you just wanted Harris in.

Dougeh says gagf.

Dougeh.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Rhino jagged four-for today by the looks.

Anyway, some mugs at the Gabba today were saying "what do you think England will set for tomorrow?"

They'll bat the day out if they can, and look to tire us out. Heaven help us if we lose the toss on Friday, on top of our leather chasing Sunday/Monday.

pasag

RTDAS

Anyway, some mugs at the Gabba today were saying "what do you think England will set for tomorrow?"

They'll bat the day out if they can, and look to tire us out. Heaven help us if we lose the toss on Friday, on top of our leather chasing Sunday/Monday.
Won't matter if we go in with a new look attack, really.

Howe_zat

Audio File

I don't follow how being tired on Monday hinders you on Friday.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So with the 1st Test still underway and a long way to go in the series-- what would be an Ashes Composite XI from these 22 if a Test against an Asian XI was scheduled for next week?

AJ Strauss*
AN Cook
Ponting
KP Pietersen
Clarke
Hussey
MJ Prior†
4th bowler is wide open but lets put Johnson
SCJ Broad
GP Swann
JM Anderson

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Back to back Tests mate.

Not easy being in the field for 150+ overs, and then backing up a few days later on a flat track.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So with the 1st Test still underway and a long way to go in the series-- what would be an Ashes Composite XI from these 22 if a Test against an Asian XI was scheduled for next week?
Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Finn

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Strauss
Cook
Trott
Watson
Hussey
Bell
Haddin
Swann
Anderson
Finn
Siddle

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well it's fairly straightforward after three innings. only question would be the spinner (Swann being more threatening but more expensive) and a final batting spot between Watson, Katich or KP.

Strauss, Cook, Trott, Katich, Hussey, Bell, Haddin, Swann, Siddle, Anderson, Finn.

7-4 England but that's only because England have relied on more players in the bowling, whereas Aus only really have Siddle thus far. It's actually been very even.

At least this match has been based around very good individual performances rather than least-bad team performances like last year.

howardj

International Coach
The Ashes are not coming home - Roebuck

Huge call so early in the series. I think fortunes in this series are likely to wax and wane, and think it unwise to react to every day's play, especially when the other team is just as likely to jump up out of the ground the day after and turn things on their head.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Strauss
Watson
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Pietersen
Haddin
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Bollinger

Players in the batting lineup could definitely change in order but those are the seven I'd pick. Bollinger's pretty controversial, I know, but I definitely think he's Australia's best bowler and I think Australia have several bowlers all better than Finn, so in he goes.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The Ashes are not coming home - Roebuck

Huge call so early in the series. I think fortunes in this series are likely to wax and wane, and think it unwise to react to every day's play, especially when the other team is just as likely to jump up out of the ground the day after and turn things on their head.
Roebuck seems to have missed that England were wilting yesterday. It's a bit of a stretch from England being (evidently) tough to beat to being unstoppable.