• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Spark

Global Moderator
Never seen Hilfenhaus bowl an inswinger personally. Inclined to agree with PEWS that he simply doesn't have one.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Despite all that's happened today, Australia if they snare a few cheap ones in the morning will still be in with a shout. England must continue with the patience and intent in the morning and ensure we get to lunch without too much damage.
Apparently in 2006 we ended Day 4 at Adelaide 97runs ahead with 9 wickets in hand ....
Obv no Warne this time, and we are 309 for 1.

There's a part of me hoping we get bowled out 45 minutes before tea, about 250 runs ahead. Broad and Anderson to grab 2 or 3 with the new ball, setting up Swann to clean up in the final session.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of moving the ball, I was strictly referring to his useful on and off cutters. I haven't seen him bowl any inswingers.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's a part of me that wishes almost exactly the same thing.

Except I removed every word of "Swann to clean up..." and inserted "Ponting and Clarke to score brilliant matchwinning hundreds" instead.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really don't know how Johnson has so much pressure on him after one bad match. If you told me I could choose to kick one player out of the Australian side, it would be him. Ponting's handling of the situation today has been very poor.
He doesn't contribute regularly enough...and as someone else said, it's more than one bad match.

If anything, I think his stats flatter him somewhat.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There's a part of me that wishes almost exactly the same thing.

Except I removed every word of "Swann to clean up..." and inserted "Ponting and Clarke to score brilliant matchwinning hundreds" instead.
:)
Which is why Strauss won't declare before tea. Well, not as early as he'd need to to win, anyway. The thought of giving Aus a scare does appeal, but not at the expense of squeaky bums in the old country. And Woodster was right - a few early wickets and we're back in the mire.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember Adelaide 06. That's what i'll be saying to myself all day.
England will be given far more opportunity to score than they were in Adelaide in 2006. We don't have Shane Warne, and we don't have a bowler who can keep it tight like McGrath.

Would be shocked if England somehow managed to find a way to come out and score 50 runs in as many overs tomorrow to effectively stall the innings by themselves.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well I wish he did. Even if it's not a brilliant partnership by those two - and in any case when those two are in full flow the result becomes somewhat less relevant to me - I'd like to see a game being made out of it. The standard of play thus far deserves it.

howardj

International Coach
Just spent four days in a row at this thing. I reckon it took five years off my life. Two days in a row is all the human body is cut out for. Anyway, I don't think either team particularly fears their opponent's bowling attack. It will be darn hard work for either side to eek out results this Summer. It's weird Australia walking away from the Gabba with only a draw. It really is our best venue and one where would have been banking on a win.

Also, I was totally vindicated about the myth of the Gabba Greentop. It never is in Tests.

Spark

Global Moderator
Just spent four days in a row at this thing. I reckon it took five years off my life. Two days in a row is all the human body is cut out for. Anyway, I don't think either team particularly fears their opponent's bowling attack. It will be darn hard work for either side to eek out results this Summer. It's weird Australia walking away from the Gabba with only a draw. It really is our best venue and one where would have been banking on a win.

Also, I was totally vindicated about the myth of the Gabba Greentop. It never is in Tests.
I have concerns about Anderson and Broad against our openers to be fair.