• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Spark

Global Moderator
Selectors generally seem far more inclined to pull the trigger when bowlers are concerned I reckon. Haurtiz and Bollinger both barely got a chance of a last cigarette before before being lined up but North and Hussey have had seemingly endless stays of execution.

Wouldn't be that suprised to see Johnson out, myself. Does look genuinely woeful and hasn't bagged his traditional logic-defying wickets so far.
His confidence looks completely shot. This is probably the first time I've ever seen where he has contributed precisely zero to the team's performance - zero runs, zero wickets, zero catches. I said at the end of the first innings that the true test/examination of Johnson's form would come second dig when the pitch had quickened up to a more "normal" Gabba surface and he could extract pace and bounce from the deck. Well, he was tested, and he failed dismally. There was just no fire or spark today, and his pace was down.

And as such should be turfed out on the quickest opportunity. Bring in Bollinger, please. Hilfenhaus's spells with the new ball were pretty good without being overly threatening - too many pressure-releasing balls, but in between there were good tight lines/lengths. Siddle was a shade too short or a shade too full (again).

Doherty as stated kept it reasonably tight, but short of a slog (which Strauss's shot was, really) the only way he's getting someone out is beating them for pace. Redefining the word "dart".

Here's a funny thing with North. If only he could get his feet moving better at the start of his innings - I actually thought he was looking good first dig, usually with North you can tell by how scratchy he looks, how fidgety his feet look, but until the offie that he nicked he looked positive and definite in his foot movements - he would probably be close to first name on the teamsheet. He's a decent bowler, I like the curve he gets on the ball.

Clarke's back looks better. Much, much freer in the field today than on Day 1. That's a huge positive for us as if Clarke AND Hussey are in form then our middle order suddenly looks so much stronger. They're both superb partnership players, and are definitely capable of a few 200+ run stands between them. Hell, even first dig where Clarke couldn't get bat on ball at all we got a 40-run partnership or so. That might've been quite important in the end as might have stopped England getting on a complete roll, and prevented a loss of a few wickets from turning into a disastrous collapse.

Not like he was any good in England or India either, tbf. His efforts in both series look far better on paper than they were to watch.
That's the difference though. He was bad to watch, but he's even worse on paper. Zero runs, zero wickets, zero catches. The definition of a passenger.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
I found out today that you only get sympathy from people for the first few moments of crying like a bitch in public. When you keep it up for three sessions people just try and avoid you.

pup11

International Coach
From what I've seen Khawaja looks more limited as a player, particularly of the frontfoot. Might be mistaken though.
Technical aspects of the game notwithstanding, Khawaja or Ferguson aren't helping their case by not scoring any runs when it really matters.
I definitely won't be giving North anymore chances and if I have to pick someone to bat at #6 then it would be Cosgrove, it certainly might seem like a bit of a bolter but he's a tremendously gifted batsman and his record for the Redbacks last season and his performances this season for Tassie have been pretty good.
Don't think Cossie is even in the pecking order because of his weight issues, but he would be a much better choice then Khawaja if you're looking for a #6 batsman.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Johnson is undroppable anymore - I reckon he's lost the backing of Ponting today
It appeared that way when he was only an afterthought in the opening session when the ball was at its hardest.The problem is he is still the most likely matchwinner in the attack so do they dare drop him?

It is very similar to us with Harmison,carried on picking him for far too long as he had previously won games but then dropped another guy (Hoggard) harshly for having one bad game and you wonder what the selectors are doing.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well what about the rest of his career then? It's not like it's his first good match - he's played 28 Tests and averages 40+. He's a quality bat for someone who bats seven and keeps to a decent standard. Of those who have kept in as many games as him, he has the fifth best average of all time.

You can have doubts about his keeping (I don't, personally, but that's because I've seen a lot more of him at state level - he's underachieved in Tests a little with the gloves so far), but he's definitely a better keeper than Prior and Flower for example - two of the only four above him, and his batting isn't "average".
So why doesn't benchmark try pointing to all that rather than making some ****ty remark immediately after he plays the best innings of his career?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
From the (little) information I've stumbled across about the finer points of Johnson's game, it's that he needs incredible numbers of overs to become remotely match ready, and that limiting his warm-up to one FC match seems, er, inadvisable at best.

It's a decent argument that it's not completely his fault. Would still drop him without blinking, mind.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It appeared that way when he was only an afterthought in the opening session when the ball was at its hardest.The problem is he is still the most likely matchwinner in the attack so do they dare drop him?

It is very similar to us with Harmison,carried on picking him for far too long as he had previously won games but then dropped another guy (Hoggard) harshly for having one bad game and you wonder what the selectors are doing.
It's not a question of 'they' though. If he's lost the backing of Ponting, Johnson can head back home after tomorrow's play

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
From the (little) information I've stumbled across about the finer points of Johnson's game, it's that he needs incredible numbers of overs to become remotely match ready, and that limiting his warm-up to one FC match seems, er, inadvisable at best.

It's a decent argument that it's not completely his fault. Would still drop him without blinking, mind.
Yeah it's pretty clear Johnson needs to bowl a good 150 overs until he gets anything right. Unfortunately, we can't carry him until he does so.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't know how Johnson has so much pressure on him after one bad match. If you told me I could choose to kick one player out of the Australian side, it would be him. Ponting's handling of the situation today has been very poor.

Spark

Global Moderator
But it's not one bad match. It's about six.

He just does not cope with the pressure of an Ashes situation at all, and the English batsmen seem to have none of the troubles other batsmen from other countries have in playing him.

Last edited: